New build, 92 XLT just finished it! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New build, 92 XLT just finished it!

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
Over the last couple months I've spent a few weekends building up a '92 for my wife... not sure how much use it'll get but I thought I'd share a few pics of it and a brief story on the build.

As usual, I wish i took some before pictures.. this '92 has been sitting since 2011 with a bad fuel pump, and a torn apart steering column. It was literally on a trailer that was headed to the junk yard when I asked if I could buy it, $400 later it was mine.

I swapped in a junkyard steering column (actually the wife did that job herself, yay) and a new fuel pump and she ran like a champ!

I then ordered a Superlift 4" kit for it, and a Detroit locker. I had some spare manual hubs and a nut kit so I installed those too.

The transfer case shift motor was bad, fixed that by swapping in a spare i had.
Also the heater blower motor didn't work.. but that was just a blown fuse
head light switch was bad so swapped in a junkyard one of those, too.

I trimmed the front fenders out a little with a plasma cutter to fit 33's, then drove it to big brand and got some 33x12.50's

My wife went nuts with the buffer and polish and i think it came out remarkably good!

here's some pics
20150301_112313_zpsgzoouuhc.jpg

20150301_112353_zpsltlaaeyq.jpg

20150301_112934_zpsmn8t3xhu.jpg

20150301_113224_zpsauna1swn.jpg

20150301_174348_zpsuuahvnhm.jpg

Only thing left to do is front posi, some bumpers, and maybe sliders for it. then it's done (i'm not gonna go nuts on this one)

Bought it for $400
Lift kit $800
Locker $600
fuel pump $60
Tires $600

Total investment: $2460.

and I spent 3 weekends working on it.
So what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lift with some big meats on her sure changes the look on these Explorers don't it.. How wide are those rims?

Think it looks sexy:burnout:

Looks great - I'm always happy to see people save these trucks from their demise. It's amazing how little money gets you such bang for your buck with these Explorers. Your wife did a great job cleaning it up too. Might want to consider a fresh set of lights for the front and that would really make the car look new!

Looks great! Nice work :thumbsup:

Looks good, even better you saved its life.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And agreed, you do get a lot of bang for the buck with these first gen exploders, probably my favorite all around vehicle. This one came out so nice I think I'm going to install the same lift and tires on my '93 which has been my daily driver for the past few years.

I think the rims are just stock width, I didn't actually measure them.
I personally prefer rims a little on the narrow side for offroad use with radial tires. Wide rims give you a bit more exposure on the sidewall.

Today we installed a new stereo in it and replaced the speakers with some i had laying around.
I also fixed the front end "clunk" by welding the radius arms to the axle beams (just a couple tiny beads in case i need to remove them for some reason later).
And there was one of those in-line transmission line filters which I removed (those damn things just clog up and then your trans overheats)

Tomorrow it's going to TDS for it's first off-roading adventure!

That really turned out nice!!! Already said earlier, but I'd toss some new lights on the front, and if you've the use for one, a roof basket would look really good on there, with some lights on it as well, IMHO.

Great job, both you and the wife!
Love the look of this one.

Back