Question on how to remove headlight on 2013 Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on how to remove headlight on 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Edon

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

It had been a while since I been on this site so it's taking me a while to figure out things again. Reason I am posting is that I am trying to add oracle halo kit to my 2013 Ford Explorer sport headlights and was wondering what the process for headlight removal is and would this be a safe thing to do considering unsealing and sealing the headlights. I did a lot of different things on my 2003 explorer but this one I can't figure out yet.

I appreciate all feed back and it's great to be back you guys saved me a lot of money with DIY threads.

With respect
Edon H

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone help direct me to a thread on how to remove the headlights please desperate over here ahaha

You have to remove the front bumper cover. Unscrew bolts in wheel well and along top above front grille.

there is a install pdf for a push bar or something that showed me how to do it. About 6 bolts across the top of the grill, 5 (not 3) in each wheel well, and 10 underneath. Takes 10 mintues. The headlight assembly has three bolts each. I purchased a fully customized setup from dynamikillu51ons. It was plug and play (almost).

I did this. Its very tricky getting the bumper and everything off. Not to mention when I added the Halo (also tricky) it looked SUPER tacky. After I realized I ruined my factory headlights, I got new ones done professionally and they look like this

DiUZINIl.jpg

This is what the Oracle Halos looked like:
imvOk2Fl.jpg

I did this. Its very tricky getting the bumper and everything off. Not to mention when I added the Halo (also tricky) it looked SUPER tacky. After I realized I ruined my factory headlights, I got new ones done professionally and they look like this

DiUZINIl.jpg

This is what the Oracle Halos looked like:
imvOk2Fl.jpg

I am guessing oracle were LED and professional install ones were plasma they look much smoother. What was it that ruined the headlights?

To take off the headlights, you have to basically remove the whole bumper and the grill.

In the wheel well, you have to remove 4 screws in each wheel well (or more I forget). After you removed the screws, you can pop the wheel well trim out, exposing a screw that is connecting the bottom of the bumper to the steel fender. After you remove that screw, you can pull slowly on the edge of the bumper from the fender, pulling it off from 1, 2, and 3 clips slowly (Working your way up to the headlight basically. Do it on both sides. Then you have to remove the 9 or 10 bolts along the bottom of the bumper. Lastly, remove the bolts from the top of the grill along with using a flathead screw driver to pop up the two plastic things holding it in place. After that, you can slowly remove the bumper (Disconnect your fogs first) and you should be good.

That seems like a lotta work just to change a headlight system.

Do you have to do the same thing for bulb replacement only?

That seems like a lotta work just to change a headlight system.

Do you have to do the same thing for bulb replacement only?

Bulb replacement is easy (unless if you dropped a tool in the housing by accident)

You do have to remove the bumper if you want to take the headlights out,
There are 2 hidden bolts that you need to take out behind the grill and behind the bumper by the way. Also, to remove the wiring harness of the headlights, there are two of them in the non HID ones. You have to press down on the tabs and pull it out.

Since Ford uses permaseal, getting the assembly part apart took ALOT of heat. It warped parts of the headlight. After the Halos were put in and I realized how tacky they looked, I didn't want to bother taking everything apart again to get the Halos out and having all the plastic on the headlight get even more warped.

Bulb replacement is easy (unless if you dropped a tool in the housing by accident)

You do have to remove the bumper if you want to take the headlights out,
There are 2 hidden bolts that you need to take out behind the grill and behind the bumper by the way. Also, to remove the wiring harness of the headlights, there are two of them in the non HID ones. You have to press down on the tabs and pull it out.

Thanks 1995E

I wanna upgrade from the stock 9005 bulbs to the 9011 bulbs. I was just worried I was going to need a half day just to replace a light bulb.

I wish ford would have kept the headlight removal design they used int he 99-04 Mustangs. Oh how I love those retainer clips. Slide up, remove light, replace bulb in housing, place light back in and slide retainer clip back down.

Since Ford uses permaseal, getting the assembly part apart took ALOT of heat. It warped parts of the headlight. After the Halos were put in and I realized how tacky they looked, I didn't want to bother taking everything apart again to get the Halos out and having all the plastic on the headlight get even more warped.

Makes perfect sense. How about wiring what's the process on that?

Back