Doors squeaks - Dont want to stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doors squeaks - Dont want to stop

VTL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
Hi guys

My front doors squeaks a lot and its a but embarrassing having a "new model" car that squeaks more than old cars.
The noise comes from the door stoppers and it just calms down if I put engine oil and not common thinner oil for squeaks.
Anyone know how to fix this permanently?

Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to the body shop and have them adjust the doors.

A good lubricant should stop the sqeaks if it is worked into the affected area. Have you tried a spray like WD-40? WD-40 is a cleaner not a lubricant so if you use it to try and clean the affected items it should be followed up by a something like a silicone lubricant.

Peter

A good lubricant should stop the sqeaks if it is worked into the affected area. Have you tried a spray like WD-40? WD-40 is a cleaner not a lubricant so if you use it to try and clean the affected items it should be followed up by a something like a silicone lubricant.

Peter

have tried it and it just got worse. Only thing that really stops but just for a day or 2 looks to be engine oil. Also have taken it to a repair shop but the doors and strait, really dont know what to do now.

Are the doors squeaking when they are shut and the vehicle is in motion? Shouldn't be doing that.

Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd take it in to be fixed.

Thought i was the only one. I noticed my driver side door squeaks when I open or close the door. It's annoying and will eventually bring it in to get it fixed.

Sounds like a faulty hinge to me.

Has anyone had any luck fixing the squeaky doors? 3 of the 4 doors on my 2016 Explorer squeak like crazy and I have tried all the recommendations I have been able to find on here. It will go away for a day or 2 and start squeaking again. I should say it sounds more like a grinding noise when you open the doors as it’s not a high pitch squeak. It’s a low sound.
I have tried cleaning the hinges with WD40 and lubricating with white lithium (spray). This last time I actually sprayed the door jams with a degreaser and using my pressure washer cleaned the hinges and everything. Then I used white lithium grease on the hinges. The doors were silent for all of 3 days! Now they‘re right back to how they were before.
I have taken the vehicle into the dealer and they claimed the doors didn’t squeak. HA!
I have the Ford Protect extended warranty and want to take the vehicle to the dealer again but my local dealership SUCKS! I’d rather try to fix it myself and not have to leave my car with them for a day and have a rental. It’s a huge pain in the ass.

After 3 lackluster attempts I finally got my dealership to fix my squeaky driver door. I think it’s the only one that had the issue on mine. My door was misaligned. It seems better now but I still need the A pillar fascia adjusted or replaced and I’ll need to go back next week for that. Unfortunately you need to tell them exactly what you want them to try to fix or they likely won’t address the real issue. I had thought it was loose trim or a squeaky seal at first so they never checked the alignment.

..........................I have taken the vehicle into the dealer and they claimed the doors didn’t squeak. HA!
I have the Ford Protect extended warranty and want to take the vehicle to the dealer again but my local dealership SUCKS! I’d rather try to fix it myself and not have to leave my car with them for a day and have a rental. It’s a huge pain in the ass.
Is there another Ford/Lincoln dealer in the area? You can take your Explorer to any dealer to have it looked at.

Peter

Is there another Ford/Lincoln dealer in the area? You can take your Explorer to any dealer to have it looked at.

Peter

I have been to the 3 closest dealerships and that’s 30-60 minutes away from me for all 3. I don’t understand why all of the Ford dealerships here suck so bad. I’ve worked at dealerships and worked in service departments so I try not to be “one of those customers” but they need to get their acts together.

After 3 lackluster attempts I finally got my dealership to fix my squeaky driver door. I think it’s the only one that had the issue on mine. My door was misaligned. It seems better now but I still need the A pillar fascia adjusted or replaced and I’ll need to go back next week for that. Unfortunately you need to tell them exactly what you want them to try or fix or they likely won’t address the real issue. I had thought it was loose trim or a squeaky seal at first so they never checked the alignment.

I guess I will try to take it to the dealership again, for the 3rd time, and see what happens. I just don’t understand why it’ll do something for me every single time without fail but the dealer always tells me they “cannot duplicate the concern.” I’m starting to think that’s what they say to get out of doing anything. After all Ford did spend $1.5B on warranty repairs last year. That’s just insane. If that doesn’t speak of the crappy quality then I don’t know what does. I have a serious love hate relationship with my Ford.

Have them try the doors while you are there and have them acknowledge the issue if it happens.

Peter

Have them try the doors while you are there and have them acknowledge the issue if it happens.

Peter
The last time I took it in (a few months ago) the service advisor acknowledged the squeak. I opened the doors with him right there and all 3 squeaked. So I’m guessing they didn’t squeak for the mechanic but they literally squeak every time we open the doors so I don’t know what gives.
I will try again.

In that case, have them ask a mechanic to be there as well so he/she can perhaps pinpoint the problem area. Without knowing where to begin it is difficult to determine where to start if there is no noise once the mechanic gets the vehicle.

Peter

If video will capture the sound well take some and show it to them.
That may help, but still, there is nothing like hearing it in person to try and isolate exactly where it is coming from. You can't do that with a video.

Peter

Back