Any suggestions on exhaust manifold bolts and starter removal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any suggestions on exhaust manifold bolts and starter removal?

mmasire88

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer XLT
I'm in the process of swapping out my bad motor for a new one! The weather broke today and was in the 60s, so I went out and figured I'd get a head start on getting my motor our before the new one arrives.

I'm having an extremely difficult time getting the 2 bolts out for the exhaust manifolds to downpipe/flex pipe whatever you want to call it. They are rusted pretty good. I'm afraid to get my acetylene torch inside there, don't want to cut through any harnesses on accident. I'm thinking cut them off, and than use my torch and a pair of vice grips to remove the old studs?

Than the starter...I didn't get too involved with that yet but I couldn't even tell how many bolts are holding it in, and where they're located. Figured it'd be easier to remove if I could get the manifold out of the way first. Any thoughts?

The motor is very close to coming out. Just have to get the starter out, than the torque converter bolts! Hopefully this weekend, I can start swapping over parts to the new motor. (=

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The exhaust studs need to be heated up with a torch. They will then come out.

Than the starter...I didn't get too involved with that yet but I couldn't even tell how many bolts are holding it in, and where they're located. Figured it'd be easier to remove if I could get the manifold out of the way first. Any thoughts?

The motor is very close to coming out. Just have to get the starter out, than the torque converter bolts! Hopefully this weekend, I can start swapping over parts to the new motor. (=

Not sure which engine you have V-6 or V-8, but the Starter for the V-6 has 2 bolts that hold it to the motor. Here is a link to Advance Auto Parts showing the bolt hole locations for your year Explorer 2004 and I looked up the Starter for the V-6 engine. Don't know if the V-8 uses a different Starter. Can't help you on the manifold bolts.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...actured-p3273s/19220267-P?searchTerm=starters

BTW, I am currently using this "Tough one" brand starter in my Explorer and no problems so far other than one day that I went thru the car wash when it was around 20 degrees outside and water from the underneath water jets at the car wash some how found it's way into my starter and froze the plunger up the next morning after it sat all day in cold temps. The Starter just needed to thaw out and has worked fine even on -14 degree cold mornings. If you are thinking of getting this type of Starter from Advance, go to www.couponcabin.com and get the $40 off coupon to purchase this Starter from Advance Auto Parts. At couponcabin, type in Advance Auto Parts into the search bar and the coupons for Advance will come up. I suggest changing your Starter since you are putting in a new engine, it's easier to do at this time than when the engine is in place.

I am most definitely going to replace the starter. I do not want to have to take this thing off down the road and replace it again. Way too much of a paid to get to! Plus this one has 170k miles on it.

I forgot to mention it's the 4.0L

Kroil is pretty helpful at loosening rusted bolts, along with an impact wrench. Between the two I have not had to resort to using a torch yet!

Back