2004-20014 Ford Explorer HP Tuners Support (it's here incase you didn't know) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004-20014 Ford Explorer HP Tuners Support (it's here incase you didn't know)

MVP'S ZO6

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello everyone, my name is Mike and I own a 2005 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0L SOHC V6. I purchased it brand new and it is my daily drive. Anyway, in case you guys don't know, HP Tuners now supports the 2004-20014 Ford Exolorer with the 4.0 and 4.6 engines (except Ecoboost). My apologies if you already knew this but I was skeptical if anyone did since I recently purchased credits for my HP Tuners interface to tune my Explorer and I was shocked to learn that no one had sent a Ford Explorer file to have the calibration mapped.

Let me take a step back and explain things. When hp tuners supports a new vehicle, often times it takes a customer to get the ball rolling so HP tuners support can define a file and add it to their program. (Sorry that's as simple as I can put it). Anyway, I've taken the liberty to do that with my explorer.

The aforementioned is why I made the assumption that some or most of you guys simply did not know that HP Tuners supports 04-14 ford explorers.

I've been using the hp tuners software for years and it is very user friendly and much better than the hand held tuners out there. It also has an integrated data logging system in addition to the vehicle control module editing software. I've used the software to tune my corvette which makes over 1,000 wheel horse power.

Anyway. Just wanted to pass the information along incase you guys didn't know.

Cheers

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much extra HP were you able to squeeze out of the 4.0 SOHC with your tuner? Any other mods?

This is good information. HPT will make a nice addition to the existing SCT software/hardware that already supports end-user recalibration of these vehicles. It's always nice to have more than one option for things.

How much extra HP were you able to squeeze out of the 4.0 SOHC with your tuner? Any other mods?

I haven't began to tune it yet. My suv is still stock. I plan on adding a cold air intake and some exhaust. With that said Im not trying to squeeze a bunch of power out of the thing, I'm adding the above parts to help with gas mileage. However as you may or may not know anytime you increase your engines Volumetric Efficiency, it usually results not only in more power but better fuel mileage as well. I know if I wanted to go hog wild with parts the ability to tune the factory computer to suit a particular combination of parts using the HP Tuners software is almost limitless. To put that in perspective, I was able to use the HP tuners software and tune my highly modified supercharged corvette to make 1000+ horse power at the wheels.

So I think that shows the capability of the tuning software is there. :cheers:

Hp tuners is not a hand held programmer it is a fully functional interface with a data logger that allows far more editing ability than a hand held programmer. No "canned tunes" here.

As rocket stated its much like the SCT software that already exist for the ford guys (but better IMHO) check out their website www.hptuners.com

As rocket stated its much like the SCT software that already exist for the ford guys (but better IMHO) check out their website www.hptuners.com

I agree and disagree with this. HPT has some attributes that are more desirable than SCT PRP stuff, and others that aren't. I have been tuning with SCT and HPT personally and professionally for about 10 years now, so I have a bit of experience with both. Here are a few things worth mentioning from my experiences.

-With regards to sheer amount of things that can be recalibrated for a Ford, I pick SCT hands down! It just has way deeper access to portions of the calibration file that HPT does not. For the average person that won't make a difference, but when you are doing some really custom stuff like deleting transmission function from an ECU like it never existed, or many other off the wall things, SCT will be able to do things that I haven't noticed HPT being able to do. This is a huge one in the win column for me.
-I like the credit based system that HPT has for licensing an ECU way better than SCT's database licensing deal. It is just more convenient to license a car and tune it right away!
-I like the handheld flash tuner that SCT has because it allows you to swap to other custom tunes you have previously developed without having to plug a laptop in. Just stop and flash. It will still do on-board and pass-through logging like the HPT MPVI does as well as reading and showing DTC's on the display too.
-I like the HPT datalogging software much more than the SCT datalogging software. It just looks good, and is organized in a way that makes it easy to navigate through. I do wish that the analog input programming function in HPT were more like the SCT stuff though.
-I do like HPT's DTC modification function a lot more than SCT's. SCT has started to catch up in this regard, but still doesn't seem to be all the way there yet.

I'm not knocking SCT at all. It's good stuff. I just prefer HPT. There's definitely pros and cons to each. I understand your liking of the ability to switch tunes without having to use a laptop.

I'm hoping that eventually HP Tuners will release the option for custom operating systems for fords like they do with the GM Stuff.

On that note I don't know of the best places or manufacturers for bolt on parts for these explorers. So if any of you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Like I mentioned earlier I want to put a Cold air intake, a cat back exhaust and some headers on my suv. I don't want to buy junk though. There's a lot of stuff to sift through on the web these days. I don't mind spending a little more on quality components.

Edge Performance Tuner LEGACY Ford EvoHT - 16030--- hp+20,tq+28

Air intake/Throttlebody:
K&N 57-2564 FIPK air intake system--- hp+10
JET Performance 69190 - JET Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensors---hp+10
BBK Performance Power+Plus Series 1765 05-10 Mustang V6 / 4.0L 70mm Throttle Body---hp+7,tq+6
Helix Power Tower PLUS 40045----- better velosity air flow

Exterior:
AVS head light and tail light covers
Linex agressive flat black coat protective coating
Rhino Rack Flat Black custom mounting brackets and light brackets

Ignition:
Ford Truck V6 FirePower Ignition Kit-•LiveWires•Screamin Demon Coil---hp+5
Pilot Nitrode Spark Plug-SKU: #SP-NP20C-ITEM : # PILSP-NP20C--hp +3,tq+2

Exhaust:
JBA 1674SJT 1-1/2" Shorty Stainless Steel Titanium Ceramic Exhaust Header--hp-+16,tq+19
Magna Flow Performance Cats 93111 Direct Fit Y pipe welded no clamping
Custom Dual Exhaust-Walker 21079 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler3" inlet,2.5"outlet -->hp+15,tq+21

Suspension:
BTF UCA's
BTF 3" spacers
Rancho Quick Lift front and rear
Custom cutting and welding for NO axle rub on lower control arms

Drivetrain/Axles :
Yukon 4.10 gears front D30 and rear 8.8.
Procomp Wheels Series 7089, 17x8 with 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern - Flat Black
Pro Wheel Accessories spacers 1" # SPACER-5450-5450A-3-PAIR
General Grabbers AT2 265/70R17

Engine:
Auto Specialties Performance under drive pulley--ASP526400---hp+16,tq+12
Gates K060837RPM Racing Micro-v Serpentine belt
NEW Fomoco OEM Alternator
alternatorparts.com # 242271 - Alternators Over drive pulley to increase charging at lower RPM range
(1) JLT Oil Separator (2005-10 Mustang 4.0 V6, passenger side)•OIL SEPARATOR FINISH - (-B) Black Anodized-made custom hoses
(1) JLT Oil Separator (2013-14 Explorer Sport EcoBoost V6)•OIL SEPARATOR FINISH - (-B) Black Anodized-made custom hoses

Cooling:
New Fomoco water pump
New Spectra Premium Radiator
Flex-a-Lite 15-inch Black Magic Xtreme S-Blade reversible electric fan with adjustable thermostat controller
Part Number: 180 ---hp+11,tq+15

If can be of any help dont hesitate to reach out,

Michael-Navy CB Vet
Can Do.
mafernandez@comcast.net

Navy CB Vet--

Am I to understand that you added 100+ hp and 100+ tq to your 4.0 without tearing into the motor?

How do you calculate gains for each part? Are these gains specific to the individual part or do they relate to another part that may have been installed prior? (ie: spark plugs gain 3hp with or without FirePower upgrade?)

Thanks for the list of goodies. :)

Each one of the HP/TQ gains was dyno proven by the manufacture,( I actually spent the time on the phone talking with some/most of the engineers to clarify there results) some of the gains were ranges--example--(3 to 8hp) so I pick the lower # as not to start debating with other explorer experts, by far I am not an expert, what I can tell you is from a dead stop in 1st(automatic) manually going through the gears 1st(tires cut loose w/ 265/70R17 on the truck and 4.10's in the rears. The rest of gears(2nd to drive) keep you pinned in your seat.
I am planning next for 32lb-or 36lb injectors and working with the same tune by edge. what I've noticed you supply enough air, a hot enough spark, and appropriate amount of fuel air/fuel mixture 14.7-1--13.5-1.

When I am finished I am going to post details and new photos(spring time).

Michael-Navy CB Vet
Can Do

I see everyone talking about cold air intake but I can't even seem to find one for mine. I have 04 Explorer xlt 4.0 and all I can find is ones for sport tracs that year but engine layout is different. Who makes the one people are using?

Edge Performance Tuner LEGACY Ford EvoHT - 16030--- hp+20,tq+28

Air intake/Throttlebody:
K&N 57-2564 FIPK air intake system--- hp+10
JET Performance 69190 - JET Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensors---hp+10
BBK Performance Power+Plus Series 1765 05-10 Mustang V6 / 4.0L 70mm Throttle Body---hp+7,tq+6
Helix Power Tower PLUS 40045----- better velosity air flow

Exterior:
AVS head light and tail light covers
Linex agressive flat black coat protective coating
Rhino Rack Flat Black custom mounting brackets and light brackets

Ignition:
Ford Truck V6 FirePower Ignition Kit-•LiveWires•Screamin Demon Coil---hp+5
Pilot Nitrode Spark Plug-SKU: #SP-NP20C-ITEM : # PILSP-NP20C--hp +3,tq+2

Exhaust:
JBA 1674SJT 1-1/2" Shorty Stainless Steel Titanium Ceramic Exhaust Header--hp-+16,tq+19
Magna Flow Performance Cats 93111 Direct Fit Y pipe welded no clamping
Custom Dual Exhaust-Walker 21079 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler3" inlet,2.5"outlet -->hp+15,tq+21

Suspension:
BTF UCA's
BTF 3" spacers
Rancho Quick Lift front and rear
Custom cutting and welding for NO axle rub on lower control arms

Drivetrain/Axles :
Yukon 4.10 gears front D30 and rear 8.8.
Procomp Wheels Series 7089, 17x8 with 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern - Flat Black
Pro Wheel Accessories spacers 1" # SPACER-5450-5450A-3-PAIR
General Grabbers AT2 265/70R17

Engine:
Auto Specialties Performance under drive pulley--ASP526400---hp+16,tq+12
Gates K060837RPM Racing Micro-v Serpentine belt
NEW Fomoco OEM Alternator
alternatorparts.com # 242271 - Alternators Over drive pulley to increase charging at lower RPM range
(1) JLT Oil Separator (2005-10 Mustang 4.0 V6, passenger side)•OIL SEPARATOR FINISH - (-B) Black Anodized-made custom hoses
(1) JLT Oil Separator (2013-14 Explorer Sport EcoBoost V6)•OIL SEPARATOR FINISH - (-B) Black Anodized-made custom hoses

Cooling:
New Fomoco water pump
New Spectra Premium Radiator
Flex-a-Lite 15-inch Black Magic Xtreme S-Blade reversible electric fan with adjustable thermostat controller
Part Number: 180 ---hp+11,tq+15

If can be of any help dont hesitate to reach out,

Michael-Navy CB Vet
Can Do.
mafernandez@comcast.net

Navy CB Vet--

Michael, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of those modifications' horsepower gains are not additive. Companies rate the power/torque gains for their offerings as if that were the only upgrade made. When upgrades are performed in parrallel then part of those gains get absorbed into the gains made by another mod. For instance, let's say that a pair of long tube headers is expected to gain 30rwhp on a LS3 Corvette and a catback exhaust is expected to gain 20rwhp. Well, the reason why each is expected to gain their respective amounts of power is associated with reducing flow blockages in the exhaust path. Once no excessive flow blockages exist, putting components onto the exhaust system that "help" even more will not increase power gain. So, in short, those previously mentioned headers and catback exhaust gain will net a total of something like 35rwhp, vs the additive "50hp". This applies across the board with all sorts of performance mods, depending on the nature of their gains, absorbing portions of rated power gains into their own gain. From my experience, with all of the mods stated in your post, I would expect you to have gained somewhere around 40-50hp.

Good luck modding and Happy Birthday, Seabee!

ok newbie here !!! i have an 02 explorer with the 4.0L V6 and just looking for the best way to increase horsepower and also gain some fuel economy without replacing engine with twin turbo lol anyone have any basics i can start with because reading through all these threads are little confusing.

Back