Front Strut Bearings (2) Replaced

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
So, after about 113,000 miles, I needed this repair done.

For several months, had a nagging rattle in the front suspension, and the trucks ride quality had really depreciated. Plus, a noise, groan, and low pitch ping in the steering column when doing low speed turns, or sitting still and rocking the steering wheel back & forth. ABout 113,000 miles.

$456.20

Part & Labor:

Bracket SPO BB5Z 18183 A was $54.10 (need 2) for a $108.20 total
Labor units 3 for $348.00

Noise is now gone. Ride quality now back to normal. Very happy, but wished this failed under warranty.

Stabilizer End Links still need to be replaced. But this is a less $$$ repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read a few other repairs that you had posted with pricing etc.. curious, what do you think your repairs thus far have been out of pocket (not including tires, brakes etc - wear and tear items)?

I paid $1,700 for my premium 6yr/125k ESP.. trying to compare where you are at now compared to if you bought an ESP.

I've read a few other repairs that you had posted with pricing etc.. curious, what do you think your repairs thus far have been out of pocket (not including tires, brakes etc - wear and tear items)?

I paid $1,700 for my premium 6yr/125k ESP.. trying to compare where you are at now compared to if you bought an ESP.

I really don't know. And don't care. It's a tool. To do my job. I drive it hard. Maintain it perfectly. Still looks brand new. A $48,000 company car. Lucky guy I am.

Most of my stuff has actually been tires, spark plugs, fluids (coolant, and trans) and brakes (both front and back, rotors and pads). The big unscheduled repairs have been the strut bushings and camera. So, below your $1,700 for sure.

Will be buying another Explorer within the next 12 months or so. Need to have Peter change my screen name next year to Bill #5 Explorer!!:)

Oh, and FORD paid to repaint my hood, over $800, when I was WELL outside the warranty period, so, net-net, I am doing pretty well being an early adopter of the new platform Explorer in late 2010.

I really don't know. And don't care. It's a tool. To do my job. I drive it hard. Maintain it perfectly. Still looks brand new. A $48,000 company car. Lucky guy I am.

Most of my stuff has actually been tires, spark plugs, fluids (coolant, and trans) and brakes (both front and back, rotors and pads). The big unscheduled repairs have been the strut bushings and camera. So, below your $1,700 for sure.

Will be buying another Explorer within the next 12 months or so. Need to have Peter change my screen name next year to Bill #5 Explorer!!:)

Oh, and FORD paid to repaint my hood, over $800, when I was WELL outside the warranty period, so, net-net, I am doing pretty well being an early adopter of the new platform Explorer in late 2010.

Glad to hear it's been pretty exceptional to you over the miles. I'm almost halfway into my ESP at this point and at 65k. A lot of it has to do with TSBs and not always having them done right or parts on back order and getting free rentals. Rentals at $30 a day adds up quick but I'd have no choice but to pay for one if I didn't have the ESP so I count that towards my cost.

Looks like you'll have the redesign for your new one :thumbsup:

So, after about 113,000 miles, I needed this repair done.

For several months, had a nagging rattle in the front suspension, and the trucks ride quality had really depreciated. Plus, a noise, groan, and low pitch ping in the steering column when doing low speed turns, or sitting still and rocking the steering wheel back & forth. ABout 113,000 miles.

$456.20

Part & Labor:

Bracket SPO BB5Z 18183 A was $54.10 (need 2) for a $108.20 total
Labor units 3 for $348.00

Noise is now gone. Ride quality now back to normal. Very happy, but wished this failed under warranty.

Stabilizer End Links still need to be replaced. But this is a less $$$ repair.

Bill, do you know if the whole strut has to be removed for this repair? I have the same thing at 44k miles.

Bill, do you know if the whole strut has to be removed for this repair? I have the same thing at 44k miles.

I don't know. The bearing and plate is at the top of the strut, so maybe they are able to get the bearing in & out without removing the entire strut. The truck did not need a re-alignment afterwards if that gives you any clue.

I was told my struts were good. And did not need replacement. This was a slight possibility prior to the final repair with the strut bearing plates and sway links (see my other post).

The truck again drives great, and is supper quiet up front. This all was noticed even before I had new tires put on (shortly after...Pirelli AS Verde Plus 2's).

Dealership told me that dust is a big contributor to the lifespan of these bearings. We live on gravel..6 miles to closest oil. Maybe thats why the fail at 44k miles.

Dealership told me that dust is a big contributor to the lifespan of these bearings. We live on gravel..6 miles to closest oil. Maybe thats why the fail at 44k miles.

Getting ready to replace mine at ~53k miles. The Noise started showing up around the 48k mile mark. Tried washing it out, blowing air from the top, and spraying WD-40 from the top to get out any debris. My guess is just a poor batch with some contamination in them. We don't live on gravel roads but the in-laws do. Funny thing is that our Nissan Murano has ~130k miles and the struts are shot, but the mounts are fine.

FYI, I paid $45 each for the bearings (Motorcraft AD-1084, Ford part #18183 ) from the dealer. Was quoted a $171 for labor each side to remove and replace the struts. So considering I need to replace the Murano struts I invested in a strut machine (Omega Lift model 90000) off of Craigslist for $120.

Does anyone have access to the torque specs for the strut cap nut, the lower mounting bolts and the 4 upper mounting bolts? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

So I changed both mounts. Some notes if you are interested. The factory mounts use plastic bushings, just basically two flat pieces greased up. The Motorcraft replacement mounts use steel ball bearings. However they are not sealed bearings and the two haves come apart rather easily. I found myself picking up several of the balls with my magnet and re-greasing them with bearing grease (I hope I found them all).

Notes on the job. #1 the springs are really long when uncompressed, make sure your strut machine is set to allow a few inches of travel beyond the top of the assembled strut. #2 try to get the strut as level as possible if using a strut machine and put it in with the hub attachment points facing away from you. The strut tends to tilt inside the spring without the upper mount in place due to the angle at which the spring sits in the strut and it is easier to push the lower part of the strut than pull it while trying to install the mount. #3 support the lower control arm and brake assembly with a jack. If it sags too far things loosen up and it will be hard to put them all back in place.

It took me 5 hours to do the first side while learning those three lessons. It only took 2 hours to do the other side, would have been less if not for the little bearing balls.

I have the same Issue on my 2011(out of warranty)
Upper strut bearing is gone on passenger side and I only have only 30000 Km(not miles)
Ford dealer told me that I need to replace both sides and it will cost me over 700 Cad dollars(parts ,labor and alignment).This is clearly a faulty bearing so why should I have pay from my own pocket to have it replaced.????
This is just ridiculous.I still consider this car in new condition and it is frustrating to have to pay repairs when you are still making payments on the original purchase.Ford should extend there warranty like many manufacturers do.
We purchased a WV for my wife the same time that we got the Ford and beside oil change we never had any other issue with it(no recalls ,no TSB and certainly no repairs)
I am strongly contemplating of trading this in for the new Q7 that will be available this year
P.S. All the km on the Ford are done in the city and we have very clean roads with no potholes or anything like that.

Just had my strut mounts replaced on my 2012 explorer. 77,000 km on vehicle, mainly highway driving. Cost me $470. Not happy that a two year old vehicle can't hold up. Anything from Ford regarding a TSB for this? Seems to be a pretty common problem.

I have the same Issue on my 2011(out of warranty) Upper strut bearing is gone on passenger side and I only have only 30000 Km(not miles) Ford dealer told me that I need to replace both sides and it will cost me over 700 Cad dollars(parts ,labor and alignment)...

Just had my strut mounts replaced on my 2012 explorer. 77,000 km on vehicle, mainly highway driving...

We value your business, angeloti. Please PM me your VIN, registered name on the vehicle, daytime phone number, and preferred dealer info; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. In the meantime, try booking an appointment with your preferred dealer.

Allow me to document your feedback, chedder. Please PM the VIN, full name, and daytime phone number.

Kwasi

...Upper strut bearing is gone on passenger side and I only have only 30000 Km(not miles)Ford dealer told me that I need to replace both sides and it will cost me over 700 Cad dollars(parts ,labor and alignment).This is clearly a faulty bearing so why should I have pay from my own pocket to have it replaced.????...

I've escalated your concern to the regional customer service manager, angeloti. Please check your PMs for more updates. Have a great weekend. :)

Kwasi

Has anybody had problems with the rear upper control arm bushings I have a 2012 Explorer XLT mine are squeaking and have play.Ford said it could cost $2800 depending on now it comes apart. My 2001 4runner had 400000 km s with no suspension problems making me re think my choice to buy ford

2014 Explorer Front Strut needs to be replaced!!!

So my explorer is one year old this week...over memorial day weekend, klunking ball rolling sound became prominent not only when riding over bumps but also when just driving along. From day one, i had complaine to dealer about front end noise when turning wheel and squeaks. they could not reproduce. well now, i took service manager for a ride he drove and he heard it immediately. Service tech took out and they reported to me that it may not be a black and white issue because they could not reproduce on the lift but they think its the strut!! This is maddening!! my car is only 1 year old with 12,600 miles on it...if I am going to continue to have issues from hear on out, a trade in may be coming....would find it hard to get another ford. and we are a ford family
will keep everyone posted on how it goes...goes to dealer tomorrow service.

now its the rear bearings that are going on explorer

Bought my CPO Explorer with 51,000 miles. At 51,270 miles and day 4 of owning it, the left rear wheel bearing went. Had to fight tooth and nail to get it replaced, they wanted $700. When I was leaving the dealership I again heard wheel bearing noises, from the front this time. Turned back around and left it again for front wheel bearings. It has now been there over 2 weeks and they still aren't saying it's wheel bearings that need replaced, and they won't give me an ETA on when it will be done.

Can someone explain the exact noises that come from these failures? I have a 2014 and at highway speeds every time I hit a bump there is a noise that I can best describe as plucking a guitar string that resonates through the cab and dies away until I hit another bump. The dealer claims they can't find anything wrong. I have a 2006 explorer with 170,000 miles and it is quieter in the cab than my new one. Very frustrating...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer just called to tell me strut replacement did not fix the issue.
borrowing electronic ear from another dealership to track down the issue.
Giving me a loaner. Does not sound good.

Back