Ceramics? Not This Time.

4rd Xplora

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
On a Round Rock in Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Tried O'Reilly's BrakeBest ceramic pads. Got to say, hated em'! :thumbdwn:. The hotter they got, the louder the noise. Sounded like a metal to metal grind. Did the break in procedure, twice. Today took them back for a set of Wagner Thermo-Quiets. Got to say, Impressed! :thumbsup: Happy, Happy, Happy! And to all those who recommended them :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wagner Thermo Quites are ceramic.
Awesome pads, been running them in all my vehicles for years.

^ I put ThermoQuiet Semi-metallic pads all the way around along with rotors and caliper rebuild last May. Couldn't be happier. No squeals or squeaks, and excellent stopping power. Highly recommended.

Wagner Thermo Quites are ceramic.
Awesome pads, been running them in all my vehicles for years.

Guess I should have noted that the Wagners were semi metallic in this case.

I'm running Wagner Ceramics all around. No complaints. Those house brands are generally trash.

I had the same experience with Advance Auto Parts in-house brand. Noisy and dusty.
Used ThermoQuiet ceramics on some cars (Taurus, Sonata), and CarbonMetallic on Explorer - both very good options (but I lean towards the Carbon Metallic ones).

I had the Duralast Gold ceramic pads. They sucked. Didn't have hardly any cold bite- which when you're trying to back down a little on a rock and they won't hold you can be a problem.

Now have Hawk LTS pads and love them. Great cold bite and can handle some twisty spirited driving down a mountain road.

I use the Raybestos professional grade metallic and they are perfect in my humble opinion. Very quiet and they seem to have a pretty long life.

Back