• Register Today It's free!

Vibration / Drag

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I have a 2003 XLT with V6, auto, auto 4x4.

Twice now after a long highway trip I noticed some vibrations / dragging when I got off the highway and started back on city streets with stop and go driving.

The vehicle would be fine on the highway but when back on the city streets, at stop lights or stop signs, while pulling out from the stop, there was this drag / vibration that is felt through the whole vehicle.

I had the tranny shop check it out today but of course it did not do the vibration. The mechanic only test drove it a few miles anyway and since it only does this after long highway drives it did not show up.

Anyone have any idea here? My tires are newer and were measured today and are all very close. I was thinking u-joints but there is no noise coming from underneath. Could it possibly be rear end related? Maybe a sticking brake caliper? Wheel bearing? I'm at a complete loss. I really don't want to start replacing parts and hoping I hit the problem.

Thanks, guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the same problem with my '04 4.6 L v-8

I have installed new rotors and pads on the front to try to correct it. I am 95% sure it is comming from front wheels and is more pronounced when making a low speed turn from a stop.

I also removed the rubber inserts on the caliper pins suspecting that they were holding the caliper up, But since removing them it has only gotten worse.

If you figure out what it is I would like to know...

Same deal, especially loud when turning in the parking lot. It's got to be something that acts up when it's good and warmed up. Are your vehicles AWD or 4x4? I want to place blame on the Viscous coupler, but at the same time I almost think it may be a wheel bearing, but I don't know which one to start with. Another thing I thought of, could the rear parking brake be the cause if it's dragging a bit. I'd think it would finally wear down though. My noise almost sounds like the rear end, but it's hard to tell. Thinking of removing my front driveshaft and see if the noise subsides if I can remember to use my parking brake.

Mine is a 2004 4WD with a limited slip diff , and you would swear that the problem is coming from the front axle / breaks. I took the front calipers and worked them in and out thinking one was hanging up and this made the problem WORSE
( even thought there is NO abnormal wear on the new pads and rotors with 10k miles on them)

So after reading a TSB about a “vibration” coming from the rear limited slip diff and being mis diagnosed as a front axle problem, I decided to replace the rear diff fluid with ams oil sever gear 75/140. But this did not solve the problem. The old fluid was Royal Purple 75/140 with only 10k miles on it ( However,the amsoil fluid change did make the rear a little quieter at highway speeds)

Then I suspected that this could be an emergency brake problem and took the rear rotors off and cleaned up the rust that was inside the
“drum “ and adjusted the adjusters all the way in. while doing this I noticed that the outboard pad on the driver side rear was worn signifantly more than the other rear pads and replaced them. I also worked the calipers in and out a few times thinking they was hanging up ,
This did make a signifant improvement but the problem still exists.
( not sure what actually made the most difference, working the rear calipers in / out or adjusting / cleaning the emergency brakes)

In addition to all this , I also topped off the rear Diff, transfer case and front diff with the vehicle jacked up ( on an angle ) allowing them to be slightly over filled with fluid. I know that I have exactly 54 oz of fluid in the rear diff.
( 4 oz of “slip lock” additive and 50 oz of amsoil severe gear )

The bearings and CV joints check out fine in the front and rear, however it seem that there is signifant drag on the rear diff when trying to rotate the axle by hand , even with the calipers off. ( not sure if this is actulally normal because of the clutch pack in the limited slip diff because I have not owned one before )

After all this I can say :

1) the problem is better, but still exists.

2) I can NOT put my finger on a “smoking gun” to tell me what the actual problem is.

3) even though the noise / vibration still exist at low speed turns, after doing all this my highway mpg went from 16 mpg to 18 mpg

I am still looking for what is actually causing this condition, It is driving me nutz...

I have this exact problem on my 03 Limited 4.6. Does anyone know what it is?

I noticed this though, I bought this in the summer and it didn't have this problem. I didn't realize at the time but this is something that has happened as its gotten cold out. The last two days its warmed up to 50 degrees here and the problem has been significantly reduced.

Bump,
Any answers to this problem out there?

Over the weekend I changed out all my rotors and pads because it needed to be done. While I was at it I did the parking brakes as well because they were a disaster inside. I swapped out the pads and all the hardware on each side thinking that would solve the problem. It didnt...

Does any one have anwsers for this?

I know the post is old, but is the vibration mostly from pulling out from a stop sign and turning?

No one's replaced any calipers?

I've been wondering if it's caused by bad calipers, specifically the rears.

I've experienced this myself and it's because of the clutch packs in the rear end that come with the tow package (3.73 LS/larger receiver). The fix for me was fresh fluid and friction modifier for limited slip differentials. After doing that, the vibration on takeoff while turning went away.

Please give this a try as it is a very inexpensive and more likely needs to be done anyway.

Nice! I'm gonna try it when I get the opportunity.

I've experienced this myself and it's because of the clutch packs in the rear end that come with the tow package (3.73 LS/larger receiver). The fix for me was fresh fluid and friction modifier for limited slip differentials. After doing that, the vibration on takeoff while turning went away.

Please give this a try as it is a very inexpensive and more likely needs to be done anyway.

What kind of friction modifier did you use?

I've had the same issue in my 02 4.6 Limited 2WD. Mine did come with the tow package from the factory as well. I will have to check the clutch packs.

It's just a small additive that you buy from the local autopart store. It's a friction modifier for limited slip differentials. When you replace your rear diff fluid, make sure you get one that's made for LS diffs as well. You can ask the sales person for any assistance and they should be able to help you easily. Another thing, I used 85W-140 in my diff as I wanted something a little thicker because I've got over 200K miles on mine.

You can use the Motorcraft XL3 Friction Modifier. I picked up at local dealer. Call around another dealer wanted 16.00 for the same thing. 1 bottle in rear differential.

Problem is reduced but not gone

When I bought this thing back in October I had some work done by a local shop. I looked in my paper work and saw that they put in synth 75w-90. This is diffrent from what recommened here and not what is speced in the manual.
So I went to a dealer, got the correct fluid plus the XL-3 modifier as specd and changed the fluid.

Now the draging sensation is greatly reduced. Its not gone ut it to the poitn where its "good enough" that Im not going to dig into it any further.

***Even if your diff case is stamped "75w-90", you need 75w-140 w/ 4oz of XL-3

Make sure your tires match up on awd models. I put 2 new ones on the front last summer. Finally had to put new ones on the rear today. All my parking lot/ slow speed turn front/rear hopping, and highway noise went away. It's never been this quiet, plus I think my fuel milage went up a point or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Exploder had this issue when my wife had the truck for a while. She never mentioned it to me until I got the truck back. I was getting ready to replace the diff oil and it suddenly just stopped doing this altogether. Wonder if it had something to do with her driving it like a 90 year old grandma and me driving it aggressively?

I'm still going to change the fluid and add a friction modifier anyways. She has 172K miles, and who knows if it has ever been changed.

Back