Thinking of a 3rd gen

2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So I'll admit, I don't know much about the 3rd gens other than they are IRS/IFS but still have a full frame.

So if I was going to buy one, what should I look out for?

Which motor is better? For 2nd gens, the V8 is the best, probably followed by the OHV V6 and then the SOHC V6.

How about the transmissions? Is the transmission paired with the V8 pretty good?

AWD or selectable 4wd? Or is this choice determined by the engine?

Is the heater blend door a problem like in the 2nd gens?

How's the highway mileage? Any speed that seems to be the best? My Mariner is good under 65 and over 80.

Overall quality of the 3rd gens? How many have cracked the 200k mile mark?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know you guys probably like to talk about them whenever you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also very interested in this, need to replace my 91 and 1st gens are hard to find and 3rd gens seem to be a dime a dozen here so i'm curious of any info you guys post for 2TimingTom

check the stickies here, those are the very common issues besides the transmission
the 4.0l is notorious for timing chain tensioner issues and check http:://carcomplaints.com, the explorer is listed there.

As an original owner of a 2003 with 187,000 miles, I have never had trouble with the the 4.6l V8 engine, the water pump failed, but gave enough warning for it to be replaced with out problems. The trans has been trouble free, but the 3.73 limited slip rear diff has been a pain. The clutch plates warped at 40k, and had to have a full rebuild with new bearings at 95K miles. Since then it has been ok, loud, but running well.

A lot of small maintenance issues over the years, but nothing that couldn't be done at home. Overall I have be happy with the vehicle and plan on keeping for as long as I can.

As lincolnshibuya said, read through the stickies to see what problems people have had, but I personally recommend you get one with the 4.6l v8. they are not perfect, but at least you can fix the timing chains with out have to remove the engine.

Don't get a 4.0 V6 unless it's a brand new motor with warranty. V8 would be your best bet. Good luck!

yup another vote for the 4.6. Also most of the tranny issues appear to occur in the earlier years with the 5R55W.

check the liftgate

It's common for the liftgate to be cracked.
2003Liftgate.jpg

I picked up a new hatch piece painted black for under $100 on Amazon.

^what causes those cracks? Was there a recall on them?

No recall. Class action lawsuit where the lawyers walked away with millions and the vehicle owners got $500 credit toward the purchase of a new Ford!

No recall. Class action lawsuit where the lawyers walked away with millions and the vehicle owners got $500 credit toward the purchase of a new Ford!

Which is why I never join the class action suits. If no one does, the award approaches zero since there are no plaintiffs. Then the lawyers have to argue the case pro bono, or just drop it.

Bump.

This is back on.

And why should I consider a 3rd gen over a 4th gen? They seem pretty similar (like 1st and 2nd gens).

V8 appears to be the motor to get. What kind of realistic mileage are you seeing with the V8?

I see blend door issues, cracked rear hatch panels and rear pinion seal leaks- any other issues to be worried about?

WHeel bearings. Expect them about every 100k miles. Also if it's still got the original ball joints.

4th Gens are usually 2k to 6k more. Wheel bearings and such are probably still issues. Trans is different and comes with it's own issues. No back hatch crack and completely different interior.

I'm used to the 3rd gens and like them better, just a personal preference.

I had every generation Explorer except for the latest and I preferred the 3rd genbecause of exterior looks.

Look for an 04-05' X w/ the 4.6L...

I had a 03, and 05' both with the v6. Both had an intake, Cat Back Exhaust, and Henson 93 Octane tunes installed. Don't get me wrong I was happy with the comparable power to the V8 after the tuner was installed. The v6's typically do about the same on MPG as the v8, and you get more power ( down low grunt ).

v6 has to work " so hard " to get X amount of weight moving.

v8 does not have to work " so hard " to get the same amount of weight moving.

basically in the 3rd gen powertrain it is 6 one way / 6 the other. You will be happy either way compared to a 2nd gen in the power dept. Wheel bearings are a common issue on the 3rd gen's. Not in all cases, but the trans on the 3rd gen's once in the higher mileage range really need to be cared for, or for your own sanity just replace it if possible.

Let me put it to you this way. I have been out of an explorer for about 4 years now. If I could get my 05 Silver XLT back... I would do it in a heart beat ! I really miss my 3rd gen.

Not in all cases, but the trans on the 3rd gen's once in the higher mileage range really need to be cared for, or for your own sanity just replace it if possible.

Thanks for the input.

What's considered "higher mileage"? 100k? 150k?

above 100K.

Everyone has different opinions on PM of there vehicle. If I still had my 05' and was at 100K. I would be doing a full engine / trans pm every 20K after I hit 100K mark. That 20 would be about every 2 years for me, as I only drive about 9-10K per year.

something else to look at, and this would not be explorer specific. Any vehicle of age / high mileage. Look at basic wearable parts IE ( Bushings, Ball Joints, Shocks, Brakes ) etc etc.

By no means am I trying to scare you off from a 3rd gen, but just offering some of my personal opinions when looking at an 10-12 y/o vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just passed 200K miles the other day and I've owned my Explorer for 9 years now (bought with 67K miles). I have a 4x4 V8 and avg about 17.5mpg on my daily commute and higher if I take it easy. I love this thing enough that I'm possibly going to go nuts on it soon.

My list of issues from 67K miles to 200K miles in 9 years:
-Both front wheels bearings replaced 3 times
-One rear wheel bearing replaced
-Transmission rebuilt at 100K
-Transfercase rebuilt at 100K
-COPs replaced at 160K
-New shocks at 150K
-Rear diff whines and has a small leak that I add fluid to about every 6 months

Other than that, it's been solid and still running strong.

Back