• Register Today It's free!

08 ST undercarriage rattle

sporttracnewb

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Sport Trac
Hi, my 08 ST V6 with 140K kms has been flawless and I don't think that's about to change but thought I'd post this hoping for some direction.
The truck starts and drives fine however lately I've noticed after start up, I put it in gear (with brakes depressed) and there is an audible rattle coming from underneath. If I had to guess from the cab, it sounds like a metal cover, guard, or plate that is vibrating against something else. Probably exhaust related?

Only does this after engaging a gear or in early drives when creeping up to a stop sign (brake depressed with engine revs a little high as not warmed up), not at idle in park or neutral. It does seem more noticeable went cold (understandible that any metal bits have not expanded from exhaust heat, etc).

Before I go crawling around underneath to source this (as I need to trust someone to keep their foot on the brake and not roll.....haha) I was wondering if there is a known protective plate or cover that has been identified by others as the source of this annoying clatter.

I'm still making an assumption that it is exhaust related. Any other thoughts appreciated. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, oh you are at that mileage when things start falling apart. Passenger side I bet and sounds low. Have a close look at your cats, I bet if you grab one the rattle will go away. I bet you can get it to rattle if you find that magic RPM without having it in gear. If that fails to find it, pull the valve covers. Bet you find half the passenger side chain guide missing.

Well, it sounds like I have some investigating to do. I'll start with the simple stuff (cup of coffee $) and work up from there (mortgage $).

Agree, most likely it is a heat shield on the cats or muffler.

Back