Sync 3 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Well, they are releasing Sync 3 on new hardware, so any upgrade would have to be a module replacement. It would be nice if they offer it, but...

I'm sure Ford also sees this as a carrot to encourage folks to upgrade their vehicle, and judging by some of the comments here it might work!

It has already been discussed here with a link to SHO forum that this swap can be done. No one is arguing that its new hardware, main point is its manageable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will SYNC3 allow for Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto integration?

Even 2016 model have sync3, the sync3 in Ex wont have CarPlay or Andriod Auto, Ford said it will integrate those 2 later.

Will SYNC3 allow for Apple CarPlay or Google Android Auto integration?

Ford is listed as an Apple partner for CarPlay (see here). One can probably say its a safe bet carplay will be included with Sync 3 (given that QNX was the first production system with carplay).

If they are going to include carplay, there's also no reason not to assume that android auto won't be available as well. The two can coexist just fine.

We are working with Apple and Google on future implementation of Carplay and Android Auto. :thumbsup:

Rebecca

We are working with Apple and Google on future implementation of Carplay and Android Auto. :thumbsup:

Rebecca

I wouldn't take that to the bank... given the MFT/AppLink broken promises.

So my first post here on the forums, and this Sync thread has almost killed my option to purchase the 2016 Explorer. I find it weird that I am spending $48k MSRP on a Limited that will have obsolete software in just over a year.

I am finding it harder and harder to narrow down my SUV shopping based on news. I ruled out the 2015 Mazda CX-9 because the new 2016 will be out next year with an entire new engine and design, so my value would instantly take a dump.

So my first post here on the forums, and this Sync thread has almost killed my option to purchase the 2016 Explorer. I find it weird that I am spending $48k MSRP on a Limited that will have obsolete software in just over a year.

I am finding it harder and harder to narrow down my SUV shopping based on news. I ruled out the 2015 Mazda CX-9 because the new 2016 will be out next year with an entire new engine and design, so my value would instantly take a dump.

Maybe nobody should update anything?

I decided to do a 2 year lease on a 2015 since the dealerships seem to be trying to move out the inventory. That will set me up to order a 2017 with Sync 3 when it's available. Maybe you'll want to look into something similar.

I decided to do a 2 year lease on a 2015 since the dealerships seem to be trying to move out the inventory. That will set me up to order a 2017 with Sync 3 when it's available. Maybe you'll want to look into something similar.

My kids tend to tear up the inside of our vehicles, so a lease is out for us. My commuter car is gonna be a 2016 WRX once those open for ordering.

I actually did a 1 week rental for work with a 2014 Explorer XLT, and I didn't think the Sync system in that was too bad.

My point being, if they are making all these changes from 2015-2016, why wouldn't they just include the new SYNC 3 as well?

I'm sure they would if it was ready. I'm pretty sure they learned that lesson with MFT.

My point being, if they are making all these changes from 2015-2016, why wouldn't they just include the new SYNC 3 as well?

Read recent posts. Ford isn't ready. They rushed MFT to market in 2011. It was a nightmare. My bet is it won't show up until MY 2017 on the Explorer.

Here is a quote from the IVT rep regarding SYNC 3; "While SYNC 3 is being launched this year, not all 2016 MY vehicles will be getting it. The plan is to have it in all vehicle lines for North America by the end of 2016. We'll release more information at a later date."
I take that to mean that it should be in all 2017 models and possibly in the later production models of the 2016. It wouldn't be the first time a change was made mid model year.

Peter

Here is a quote from the IVT rep regarding SYNC 3; "While SYNC 3 is being launched this year, not all 2016 MY vehicles will be getting it. The plan is to have it in all vehicle lines for North America by the end of 2016. We'll release more information at a later date."

Peter

Thanks Peter. I saw that quote in the other thread.

Thanks Peter. I saw that quote in the other thread.
I understand your frustration with this situation if SYNC 3 was a desired option over the current MFT. I also would be in a bit of a quandary as to what I should do. I guess that at this time Ford is not ready to commit to a definite date which I understand if the product design isn't quite where they want it to be. I'm sure they don't want the same type of negative feedback that the rush to introduce MFT/MLT generated. I guess I'm not in the same boat since my current lease isn't up until April 2017. Good luck.

Peter

So would the hardware in the 2016 be compatable if they do release the SYNC 3 stuff later on in the year? Not sure if it would be just a simple software update or if it would require all new hardware.

So would the hardware in the 2016 be compatable if they do release the SYNC 3 stuff later on in the year? Not sure if it would be just a simple software update or if it would require all new hardware.
with Ford's track record in this area, I would count on nothing. Until they start hitting dealer lots with Sync3, nothing is certain except that they are still shipping with MFT.

I doubt it since I'm guessing the MFT will be the same as what is out there now. If you really want SYNC 3, you had better wait until it is actually being installed in the Explorer.

Peter

According to the information available from Ford at the moment Sync and Sync 3 are built on different hardware. Moreover, again at this time, Ford steps away from replacing current Sync with Sync 3 for existing owners even for surcharge.

I was able to play with the new Sync 3 system today and I must say it is pretty slick. Changing screens is very fast and I really like the layout of the menus and buttons. Scrolling on the map is also very smooth with zero lag, just as fast as any smartphone. Looks like they learned their lesson with MFT and put in the proper hardware.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back