Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

I believe the MDesign intake uses the same cold air inlet location as the stock air box, with sealed outside air from behind the front grill.

^^ This is true, no hot air. Below are videos of a dyno, 2014 SHO EcoBoost (same platform) that is completely stock except he had a K&N intake installed before (the baseline run). All that was swapped in his dyno was the K&N for the MDesign intake.

Some pics:

2ih75ed.jpg

2hzk6t0.jpg

wjyv4g.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't really tell from the videos, what were the number with K&N and with MDesigns?

I am loving this design.

Forced Air Intake for the win!!

Anybody want to buy my K&N CAI? I will have to install this.

Thanks!!

I can't really tell from the videos, what were the number with K&N and with MDesigns?

You can hit the HD button on the bottom right side which should make them visible or check the pic below, blue graph is K&N and green is MDesign intake:

14wy9hl.jpg

Anything more to say about this since you installed it? I love the design idea. Personally I could do without the carbon fiber if it saved me a little money. Black ABS would be fine to match the rest of the engine.

I'm definitely interested.

Tony

Good sound with this intake as well when you get on the gas?

SOunds like it with 11 MPG lol

Anything more to say about this since you installed it? I love the design idea. Personally I could do without the carbon fiber if it saved me a little money. Black ABS would be fine to match the rest of the engine.

I'm definitely interested.

Tony

Carbon fiber has better thermal dynamic properties than plastic and will better help in eliminating heat soak. Carbon fiber being aesthetically pleasing is only one of the reasons we use carbon fiber, the performance benefits are the main reason.

Intake definitely has a good sound, the blow off valve is also more audible. Hopefully the OP chimes in with more feedback for you all! You can also check out our Facebook page to see feedback of clients.

Things are good with the intake. Not much more to post about it. Now that spring is here even though we keep getting snow, I can get the windows down and you can really hear the turbos spooling. The blowoff is louder as well. I do notice my exhaust tips are no longer blackened.

More owners are posting up Dyno's and it seems to be no consistentcy with Horespower. This is still in my opinion the best of the cold air intake options. I think now that it's getting nicer out, more Dyno runs will be done and hopefully we see a clear cut pattern of HP gains.

Things are good with the intake. Not much more to post about it. Now that spring is here even though we keep getting snow, I can get the windows down and you can really hear the turbos spooling. The blowoff is louder as well. I do notice my exhaust tips are no longer blackened.

More owners are posting up Dyno's and it seems to be no consistentcy with Horespower. This is still in my opinion the best of the cold air intake options. I think now that it's getting nicer out, more Dyno runs will be done and hopefully we see a clear cut pattern of HP gains.

Glad you're enjoying the intake and that you no longer have blackened tips! :thumbsup:

The consistency in some of the dynos are due to different dynos being used such as a Mustang or Dynojet, they will either underrate or overrate due to design. What is consistent though are the gains the MDesign Carbon CAI has over every intake in every test we have.

Think i will be purchasing this very soon!

I will post my review once i get it as well for everyone

Installed mine today..went for a lil drive...hear the air rush a good amount now as well as the turbos. Very happy i bought this one

Can someone with this intake please take a look at the below video and tell me how it sounds in comparison? This was my Jeep Grand Cherokee with a K&N "cold" air intake. It was too loud at WOT and I didn't keep it on for very long. Thanks!! -Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHtGJRcKpbQ

Sound wise i can notice the air rush and turbos..but i wouldn't call it loud. But everyone is going to be different in what they think is loud.

Crusing on highway or at 40..notice no difference

Were you able to make a comparison to my Jeep with the K&N in the video?

Tony

Were you able to make a comparison to my Jeep with the K&N in the video?

Tony

The only time your jeep sounded loud was WOT...normal driving seems normal to me. I didn't notice my intake to be that loud

The only time your jeep sounded loud was WOT...normal driving seems normal to me. I didn't notice my intake to be that loud

Thanks!!!! Yes, the K&N on the Jeep was fairly quiet at low, lazy speeds.

Tony

I am still getting soot build up on tail pipes...hoping this would help this issues but doesn't look like it will as of now

Do you run a tune? I believe those of us with the soot elimination are running tunes. My exhaust tips were really bad with the buildup before the mdesign.

Do you run a tune? I believe those of us with the soot elimination are running tunes. My exhaust tips were really bad with the buildup before the mdesign.

No tune. I thought it was just based off of the intake..didn't know you have a tune!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mdesign probably could better answer, I just know the posts I have seen on other fourum guys are also tuned. I have an LMS tune.

Back