For those who want Sync3 but stuck in Sync2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For those who want Sync3 but stuck in Sync2

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Just saw a few youtube video, what do you guys are thinking about used aftermarket product like Pioneer which load both apple carplay and andriod auto?

Especially when the upgrade option from Sync 2 to Sync 3 was not offered by Ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just saw a few youtube video, what do you guys are thinking about used aftermarket product like Pioneer which load both apple carplay and andriod auto?

Especially when the upgrade option from Sync 2 to Sync 3 was not offered by Ford

Won't work. No way to drive the climate controls, etc. You're going to have to learn to love what you have.

Won't work. No way to drive the climate controls, etc. You're going to have to learn to love what you have.

Assumed you already talked to those Pioneer installer guys?

Assumed you already talked to those Pioneer installer guys?

NONE of these 3rd party systems will retrofit MFT. They stop at phone, music, nav. Wiring into the APIM, cluster, and vehicle control systems is proprietary to Ford.

Google is your friend.

NONE of these 3rd party systems will retrofit MFT. They stop at phone, music, nav. Wiring into the APIM, cluster, and vehicle control systems is proprietary to Ford.

Google is your friend.

Too bad man, I am back to square one...

I'm no RF engineer but magnetic fields around a device with antennas and GPS?

No issues?

Small fixed magnets should be no problem. Electromagnets could cause issues for various reasons.

Check out RAM Mounts too:

http://rammount.com/products/vehicle_mounts#/

They make a bunch of the device mounts for police, rescue and many other industries. You can buy kits or individual modules. I just got a stick-down base for the dash and an X-grip holder for my phone and both seem really strong!

Small fixed magnets should be no problem. Electromagnets could cause issues for various reasons.

Check out RAM Mounts too:

http://rammount.com/products/vehicle_mounts#/

They make a bunch of the device mounts for police, rescue and many other industries. You can buy kits or individual modules. I just got a stick-down base for the dash and an X-grip holder for my phone and both seem really strong!

Thanks for the infor, I know what I can get if the small magnet is not working.

!!!

It looks like it will work and you'll have the option of Android Auto or ApplePlay on the deck too. With the idatalink adapter you can control all the oem stuff except ambient lighting (maybe I'm wrong but i can't find a reference to it).

Its not going to be cheap though
Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX is $1400 (substitute any idatalink compatible deck)
Idatalink adapter is $150

I'm dying to try it .. to bad my wife would kill me.

It looks like it will work and you'll have the option of Android Auto or ApplePlay on the deck too. With the idatalink adapter you can control all the oem stuff except ambient lighting (maybe I'm wrong but i can't find a reference to it).

Does MFT use idatalink interface at all? MFT is suggested using private protocols, how could those stuff work?

On the other hand, even if Ford said big Yes to upgradable, it might be even higher than 1400+150

Their website says not compatible with MFT, but will work with Sync. At least that's how I read it?

Back