Is it ok to take a Limited through a car wash? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it ok to take a Limited through a car wash?

Well I dont buy a new mitt every time I wash my car - my mitt has been used atleast 50 times to clean dirt off all of my cars :)

True, but do you at least wash out the mit between washes? I do. Those brushes and strips don't get washed out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is why you would ensure that you've turned them off prior to entering just as you would also ensure all of your windows are closed...common sense.
That's what the Owner's Guide mentions; Note: Turn off the wipers before entering a car wash. I suppose that it isn't unheard of that some will forget. I'm now getting used to turning OFF the 'Auto On' headlight feature when I drop my vehicle off at the dealership.

Peter

I have a touchless carwash at my work so I was my vehicles every day through them.

I never use Touch car washes as they will leave those fine swirl/scratches in the clear coat which I can't stand. Always wash it via touch free and then I'll hand wash it myself afterwards if it is a nice day out to get the glaze off a touch free can't remove.

That is why you would ensure that you've turned them off prior to entering just as you would also ensure all of your windows are closed...common sense.

I don't need a lecture on common sense. I don't have rain sensing wipers and didn't know they could be easily turned off. Besides, there a lot of common sense things that don't happen on the new Explorers...

For example: When the Tow button is pressed, common sense says that the fuel calculation would switch to DTE to the tow mode and the reverse 'beeper' would turned off. Neither of those common sense things happen with the new, advanced Ford Explorer.

If you use these car washes, make sure you wax at least once a year. Your clear coat will thank you.

I use the touch-less wash during the cold months and then by hand during the rest of the year. As someone else noted, I will use the self serve bay to apply soap and scrub any heavily soiled areas and then finish with the touch-less.
When washing at home by hand, I utilize two buckets to help rinse any sand or grime off the brush or wash sponge prior to going into the soap bucket and back on the car.

One of my prior explorers was burgundy and after taking it through the regular car wash in addition to the window guard getting ripped off, I noticed swirl marks in the clear coat that I eventually had to have buffed out. IMO these washes are great for ordinary folks who either don't have the time or aren't as **** about maintaining the appearance of their vehicle. I'm sure there are some great brushed car washes out there, but due to my experience, I will stick to my methods.

I used to use the 2 bucket method until I began using a brush attachment to the hose. That works very well. The water continually running through the brush keeps it clean and I was able to remove all of Winter's 'crud' in about 20 minutes.

Peter

I'm wary of the rotating brush type washes after an experience I had years ago. Apparently one of the brushes had picked up a bungee cord out of the back of a truck or something, and it beat the CAP out of the side of my car all the way down! I use the "pay and spray" type washes now. :)

Back