2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thank-you for all your replies. The word from the dealer yesterday is that it is this same problem, and the whole steering rack will be replaced. We should have the vehicle back next Wednesday. I've only owned Fords all my life and this is the first time one has let me/us down, so I guess we're doing ok. :)

FordService, I will pm you the info, thank-you for chiming in!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you file a report with Transport Canada as per my post 856? This is very important because it would acknowledge that the issue still exits in the 2015 models.

Peter

Thank-you for all your replies. The word from the dealer yesterday is that it is this same problem, and the whole steering rack will be replaced. We should have the vehicle back next Wednesday. I've only owned Fords all my life and this is the first time one has let me/us down, so I guess we're doing ok. :)

FordService, I will pm you the info, thank-you for chiming in!!

Put another on the list. New steering rack going on ours. Just over 2 years old and 51,000 miles. Nick from FordService got us in touch with the Regional Customer Rep and Ford is making a fair deal on the repair since its out of warranty.

I'm happy with the response from Ford, but still pretty disappointed with the issues our Explorer has had. I'm losing confidence in my Explorer. I really got spoiled with the quality of me 2001 F-250 Superduty. 214,000 miles and still truckin'.

Hi Folks, we have our explorer back now and all seems well. Ford Service, I apologize that I didn't get the info to you. If it is still necessary, for records, I can send you the info.

Speaking with the tech at the local dealer, says he's done 3 of them in the past 2 years. Each case has been during a period of extreme cold weather. Ours was the same. On both cases in our scenario, I had started the SUV with the command start a couple times in a row (one occasion trying to get wife and kids to leave a birthday party, the other was myself trying to get away from a jobsite). I'm unsure if this could have something to do with it, but seemed coincidental.

Drive safe!!

Made it to almost 80k before this problem

on my 2011. I did get the Recall in July 2014, had the software reprogram FWIW. Power steering going out and getting the fault message almost every day now. Contacted my service dept. this AM by email to update them with what was going on and when I wanted it to be fixed per Recall Notice 14S06 free of charge.

I live almost 3 hours away from dealership and have purchased a number of vehicles both personal and for commercial fleet use over the past 25+ years from them. I'll see how it goes...

on my 2011. I did get the Recall in July 2014, had the software reprogram FWIW. Power steering going out and getting the fault message almost every day now. Contacted my service dept. this AM by email to update them with what was going on and when I wanted it to be fixed per Recall Notice 14S06 free of charge.

I live almost 3 hours away from dealership and have purchased a number of vehicles both personal and for commercial fleet use over the past 25+ years from them. I'll see how it goes...

Keep us posted on how things go at the dealership, OldSchoolDropout. If you need my help after your appointment, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Crystal

The software update will not fix the issue as has been mentioned several times. The steering rack has to be replaced and I don't know how long that would take. I'm guessing that the parts will likely have to be ordered. Since the dealer is under no obligation to supply a free loaner, this is something you should discuss with them before making the trip.
Good luck.

Peter

Yes, I told my Service Advisor the steering rack needed replacing as the software update didn't do the trick and that I needed a loaner. Thanks for the replies.

The software update will not fix the issue as has been mentioned several times. The steering rack has to be replaced and I don't know how long that would take. I'm guessing that the parts will likely have to be ordered. Since the dealer is under no obligation to supply a free loaner, this is something you should discuss with them before making the trip.
Good luck.

Peter

Took mine in on a Tuesday and Picked it up the following Monday night. The Diagnosis was on Tuesday, back and forth on who was paying for what on Wednesday, Parts ordered on Thursday, Repaired on Friday.

FordService was extremely helpful on our repair.

Guys.. please keep filing reports with NHTSA on your failures. The software update is NOT working and this needs to be made aware to the NHTSA.

WHETHER UNDER WARRANTY OR NOT, PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT

Hi all! I had my 2012 Explorer towed into the dealership on 3/20/15 as the power steering failed. On 3/20 the dealer was unable to reproduce failure. I received a call today that two out of five tries today it failed. The dealer contacted Ford regarding having it repaired under the recall and the response is that when the software update was completed on 2/11/15 there were no codes so it will not be covered to replace steering gear. I called customer service myself and got the same response. Ford will not even pay half of repairs. So I will soon be out $1600.00. Fords answer to me was to pay for it, keep receipts and file complaint with NHTSA.

This is completely unacceptable. Was looking to purchase a new pick up next year. It won't be a Ford. My father was also planning on buying a new Explorer. He will also be buying something other than a Ford.

Thanks for taking the time to "listen" to my vent.

Welcome to the Forum reneeharding.:wavey:
Please do file a report using the link I provided in post 872. They used a similar excuse before when they said that a member had the software upgraded and because of that they considered the case closed. This is a known issue and my suggestion is for you to contact Crystal, the Ford Service rep here and see if she can do anything to help. You can send her a private message using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
If your warranty is up and you didn't purchase the ESP, I think that because this is a known issue, Ford should at least meet you half way on the cost.
Good luck.

Peter

to: reneeharding
You need to switch dealerships! From all of our experiences, some dealerships handle this better than others so you don't have to be out of pocket the $1,600, if you are able to state your case very forcefully. Bottom line is that Ford is in very dangerous territory by not doing a full recall and replacing all steering racks. I assume that until Ford gets sued mightily, it's up to each customer to find a dealership that will make the repair for you at their cost - warranty or not. Good luck! Hopefully no one will experience a tragic accident as a result of this issue.

Hi all! I had my 2012 Explorer towed into the dealership on 3/20/15 as the power steering failed. On 3/20 the dealer was unable to reproduce failure. I received a call today that two out of five tries today it failed. The dealer contacted Ford regarding having it repaired under the recall and the response is that when the software update was completed on 2/11/15 there were no codes so it will not be covered to replace steering gear. I called customer service myself and got the same response. Ford will not even pay half of repairs. So I will soon be out $1600.00...

Welcome to the forum, reneeharding! As Peter suggested, get in touch with me via PM so I can check out ways to help. I'll need all the info he listed - your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Power steering

Exiting from parking lot and speed of about 15 mph on a straight road, no pot holes, at about 100 ft from the parking exit, it hit an electric post. Left front suspension, fender, wheels,pillars, rocker & floor, radiator support, front lamps, hood, steering rack, cradle, transmission transfer case, front door and many more damage. All are in left side. I checked the VIN but it is not on recall for power steering problem however I suspect power steering was the caused of accident. It is a major damaged and the insurance is not yet decided if repair or total wreck. I asked the Ford dealer to see on the diagnostic computer of the vehicle but up to now they have not yet check.

You didn't mention whether or not the steering locked up on you. I haven't had that happen but I'm sure it is something you'd notice. In reading your post, it appears as though you simply ran into the electrical post. People experiencing the steering issue aren't necessarily on a recall list. For some reason, it just happens and it can be corrected by replacing the steering assembly, not the software update.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It just swerved to the left and hit the post at low speed. Did not notice if steering locked up before hitting.

Back