Interceptor Upgrades

CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Has anyone here in the 5th gen forum converted there X into a sudo interceptor package ? appearance or performance ?. I have looked on Ford's website for OE part numbers mainly for ( Sway Bars / Brakes / Rims / Gloss Black Grill ), but having difficulty finding exactly what im looking for. I know the interceptors have the ecoboost, or 3.7L v6 in them so I am not getting true one. I mainly want the slightly lowered look they have, and just better brakes in general. If I can have bigger brakes as a factory option then why not. I fully appreciate powerful brakes driving medic units / fire apparatus, and having to make a quick stop because drivers are not paying attention to the emergency vehicle.

I want to purchase a 15' Black Base Model w/ Towing Package. Then swap the grill, rims, 245/55/18 tires, brakes, and sway bars ( if there is a difference ), and install a Setina Push Bar. Then after all that install my fire dept light set up.

I am a career firefighter/emt, and I have a lot of friends who are police officers. I have never once heard a complaint about them. My friends love them, and I think they look bad ass !.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I worked on the Interceptor Program with the engineers since its development back in 2009. The majority of the upgrades that were developed in the Police Program were carried over to the Sport model.

You're right the Lincoln 3.7L V6 is special to the Ford Interceptor models except the optional EcoBoost. The 3.5L V6 was released at Job1 2013 but too many wanted more "out of the hole" performance so it was dropped as standard equipment.

Both brakes are the same except pad composition
PTU is water cooled in both
Both sit 20MM lower as designed
Sport grill is different for marketing
EcoBoost Interceptor Utility grill is unique to that model only for cooling reasons.
EPAS and AWD programming is unique to police as its designed to hold gear lower than retail when it detects hard stop/start driving behaviour. Sport has its own set of EPAS and AWD programming parameters.
Interceptors have X brace in rear that retail doesnt have which provides 75MPH rear crash strength.
Interceptors have different electrical requirements for aftermarket upfitting
Interceptors don't come with a roof rack, the roof rails are plugged.
Interceptor cooling is enhanced as well.

The police 18" steel wheels are cheap you could easily get that look from mounting those, lots of us have them as winter wheels now.

Get the tow package for sure, the heavy duty cooling alone is worth the money.

Check out the upfitters guide at www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com

SGT1411, Thanks for the imformative explanation !. What makes them sit 20mm lower ?. The shorter 55 series tire, or the actual suspension is designed 20mm lower with difference springs / shocks ?.

jrgoffin - I wish !!! that was an option for the civilian X. I dont want the 3rd row @ all.

SGT1411, Thanks for the imformative explanation !. What makes them sit 20mm lower ?. The shorter 55 series tire, or the actual suspension is designed 20mm lower with difference springs / shocks ?.

jrgoffin - I wish !!! that was an option for the civilian X. I dont want the 3rd row @ all.

The suspension is engineered that way with different settings, I dont know exactly which components are set up differently but listen to the Chief Engineer explain the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzOohXbtUY

I worked on the Interceptor Program with the engineers since its development back in 2009. The majority of the upgrades that were developed in the Police Program were carried over to the Sport model.

Interceptor cooling is enhanced as well.

What's the difference between the cooling in the Interceptor and the Sport? Or are they the same?

What's the difference between the cooling in the Interceptor and the Sport? Or are they the same?

Unless its changed recently it was the same except the Sport doesn't have the dedicated engine oil cooler like the retail 3.5L and Interceptor 3.7L does.

Obviously the Sport has the Intercooler for the twin turbo system.

The radiator and PTU water cooling system was the same.

The Interceptor EcoBoost 3.5L may have even more Im not clear on what final design was.

Heres the marketing explanation:

The added Police Interceptor cooling system is capable of managing the extreme heat generated during a typical police day, thanks to intelligent design. A large, high-volume radiator, engine oil cooler and transmission fluid cooler offer excellent cooling capacity. Police-calibrated fan settings keep the system operating effectively during long idle periods with minimal air flowing over the engine. A large frontal opening on the sedan and a special grille mesh enable optimum airflow into the engine.

The police 18" steel wheels are cheap you could easily get that look from mounting those, lots of us have them as winter wheels now.

Do you recommend anywhere to order the wheels from. I am considering picking up a set with some snows on em for next winter.

Do you recommend anywhere to order the wheels from. I am considering picking up a set with some snows on em for next winter.

I think most on this forum got their's directly from the dealer parts department but try and Private Message Benny on this forum from Levittown Ford Super Center and see what pricing he has for the wheels.

There's several members here with great contacts at competitive Ford Parts Departments.

Funny but these wheels are cheaper in Canada then the US which is unheard of for anything auto related. I paid approx $74 each, plus the TPMS valves on top of that which I think were $42ea.

Back