Just wow

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
image.jpg

I'm feeling pretty safe in my Explorer....are you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just sent that to the engineers at CAP......and Dodge and GM tell their customers that the Interceptor Utility 75MPH Rear Crash rating is just "Marketing BS"

Thank You Ford Police Program Engineering Team.

Like this......
IMG_5295.jpg

Found a site with the video:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Woman-dead-DPS-officer-and-civilian-hurt-275429411.html

The Explorer was smashed by a Nissan SUV. It looks to me that it is a brand new Nissan Pathfinder that ways around 4100 - 4300 pounds. The damage would be a lot worse if it was the Crown Victoria because there is less surface area to catch the forces. At that angle of attack that SUV pulled, damage like that was bound to happen. We still don't know if the person was speeding too because the witness states that she looks to be driving while impaired.

If you look at the Nissan Pathfinder, that whole front crumple zone is completely smashed. The lady was probably going 80+.

Its the normal full size 18" police steel wheel, with Goodyear Eagle RSA+ Police tires. Might be my poor photography skills that make it look bigger. It kinda does look like a 22" with tiny rubber.

It has to stay in there to maintain the rear crash integrity.

Hate to bring up such an old post, but how easy/hard would it be to get that cross brace installed in a civilian explorer?

Thanks.

I'm sure our 3rd row and spare help in the rear crash, but that brace is even stronger!

Once you pull the third row, you realize how strong the "hinge" is that supports it - probably close to what the x-brace accomplishes. The hinge is made of very heavy tubular steel just like the police brace.

Yeah - those braces were likely put there to compensate for the lack of the support and impact-absorbtion of the seats. The seats might even be better at that job than the braces at least, more thoroughly tested in crashes.

In order to be effective, they need to crush and collapse to absorb the impact, as opposed to being rigid and solid, which would transfer more of the impact energy into the vehicle.

Having said that, the braces might also make the structure more rigid and therefore improve handling.

Back