Sync 3 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

I was surprised to read Microsoft is still staying as a participant in SYNC 3.

Azure. It's Microsoft's web services platform. Nothing in the car. It's purely backend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have been dealing with Sync and MFT from the start in 4 different vehicles over the years (2 Explorers, 1 Edge, 1 Fusion). It's never operated satisfactorily in my experience. Now that I know Sync3 is coming out at some point I will be delaying my delivery of 2016 Explorer Sport until I know that it has Sync3 installed from the factory (and it's working properly per reviews).

The idea that the 2016 Explorer is being refreshed and may not have the new Sync3 installed from day 1 is disappointing. I've already warned my sister who was considering a 2015 Mustang. She is holding off per my recommendation until Sync3 is offered.

I would appreciate Ford being more clear on exactly which models are getting Sync3 and when. You have to understand many of us are planning months and even a year plus in advance on vehicle decisions.

I really wish Ford would have been on top of this sooner. I knew on the very first day I took delivery of my 2011 Edge that MFT was a joke. Sync3 better deliver or else I will start shopping around other brands and that pains me to even have to say that.

And for the love of God, please do not disable any touch screen functions while the car is in motion. There's this little thing called a passenger; perhaps you heard of them. My wife is often one and would like to search for specific things in the navigation but can't. The car should at least be smart enough not to lock out certain functions when a passenger is on the front seat. Or better yet, don't lock out anything period. My iPhone doesn't suddenly lock while I'm driving and Apple hasn't been sued. Tell the Ford Lawyers to take a chill pill already. They should consider themselves lucky they haven't had a class action suit for the fact that the flat touch buttons constantly cause the driver to have to take their eyes off the road just to change the fan speed and other simple functions. And don't give me that voice recognition excuse. It's never worked as designed and it was too slow to begin with.

Not sure about the U.S. but there are laws here about using your phone or any device while driving. In fact there are more deaths now from distracted driving than impaired driving. Not sure how the system is to know if there is actually a passenger in the seat instead of an object heavy enough to turn the airbag light on. Using any button whether on the MFT or steering wheel is going to divert one's attention, however briefly, from what they should be concentrating on. That being driving. Voice commands work very well in both vehicles I've had although that can also be a bit of a distraction at times.

Peter

Not sure about the U.S. but there are laws here about using your phone or any device while driving. In fact there are more deaths now from distracted driving than impaired driving. Not sure how the system is to know if there is actually a passenger in the seat instead of an object heavy enough to turn the airbag light on. Using any button whether on the MFT or steering wheel is going to divert one's attention, however briefly, from what they should be concentrating on. That being driving. Voice commands work very well in both vehicles I've had although that can also be a bit of a distraction at times.

Peter
Not sure about Canada, but in the US, we read what people said and reply to that instead of going on random rants. He suggested not disabling the feature because passengers can use the touch screen.
I realize his request will go nowhere, but your reply was baseless.

I did address some of the points that were brought up such as to why the MFT can't be used by the passenger. As for the rest of my post, it isn't 'baseless'. The poster mentions that because of the way the MFT is designed, he has to take his eyes off the road to find the correct buttons to press. This is distracted driving. That is one reason we have voice commands. I tried using the voice commands to decrease/increase fan speed and it took about 10 seconds to complete the action. As for your statement, "we read what people said and reply to that instead of going on random rants." There are replies to posts almost everyday that go above and beyond what was originally mentioned so mine is by no means unique. In some cases it gets so bad that posts have had to be deleted.

Peter

Sync3 better deliver or else I will start shopping around other brands and that pains me to even have to say that.

This is exactly why Ford hasn't committed to when and what models. They DID learn their lesson the first time. Patience, if that's what's important. I'm in the same boat with a Focus. Do I buy a 2014(lots of incentives), a re-styled 2015(that just hit the lots in the last month) or wait for a 2016 with SYNC 3(who knows when).

Basically right now there isn't much regulation regarding info-tainment systems in vehicles. Manufacturers want it to stay that way, so they self regulate to remove liability from themselves, and reduce the likelihood that the government turns an eye towards them. If they don't lock you out, or give plenty of warnings, they fear that they'll start having to live in a much more restricted world.

FWIW I've talked to a few people around Ford and it will probably be a JOB 2 addition for the 2016 Explorer, along with some other minor packaging changes(cold weather package, etc). Platinums also might be a JOB 2 as they are listed as late availability on the currently (2/27) order guide.

So when is Job 2? Is that after Christmas?

So when is Job 2? Is that after Christmas?

Could be 1/2 months after Job 1 -- could be 5 Months, Job 3 for the 2013 Explorer was Dec 2012.

In 2008MY when Sync was launched the first Job 1 Explorers had no sync, Job 2 added it to EB and Limited, and Job 3 added it to XLT etc. Aug was Job 1, Sept was Job 2 and Dec was Job 3.

...does anyone think Ford would sell a 2016 Platinum without Sync3???
or will they wait to release Platinum Ex's to include Sync3?

I cant imagine they would sell without it.

...does anyone think Ford would sell a 2016 Platinum without Sync3???
or will they wait to release Platinum Ex's to include Sync3?

I cant imagine they would sell without it.

You really think Ford would keep from selling the cash cow that is the Platinum trim because Sync 3 is not ready?

I dunno but I can imagine people who know about MFT /Sync would wait, and people who dont know would buy, spending big bucks, and then 6 -9 months down the road be rendered obsolete? There would be at least some hell to pay...

I dunno but I can imagine people who know about MFT /Sync would wait, and people who dont know would buy, spending big bucks, and then 6 -9 months down the road be rendered obsolete? There would be at least some hell to pay...

As if there's not now?
Not really any different than anyone buying a sport model now.
Unless 50 grand isn't big bucks...

While I would love to jump on this bandwagon because I think the initial MFT is a POS - it's no different than buying a '15 Explorer and then finding out that the '16's will have enhanced parking assist, etc. It's always caveat emptor. '15 buyers should read and be informed of upcoming changes.

I agree...Im glad that Sho post basically showed us that Sync3 would work in a Taurus that was once MFT....

...interesting part is he mentioned direct replacement, was that mentioned in Ex post?

"It just involves taking a bunch of panel pieces apart. Ive done it on so many vehicles i just know what to look for. Its designed as a direct replacement, so no harness modifications. Only thing needed is a aftermarket antenna. "

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back