Locker on AWD v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locker on AWD v8

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hey guys I'm buying a 1997 awd and was looking to make it more trail worthy. One of the mods I plan on doing is a locker in the rear. Is that possible with awd or will it effect the viscous clutch? In the future I will be swapping out the awd Tcase for the 4x4 one off of the f150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im pretty sure the awds came with limited slips didnt they? i would wait and see or get the door code to help figure out what it might have. typically a standard locker wont fit in the pumpkin of the l/s diff. i believe there are companies that make some that do (cant remember who anymore) but i think there a little pricey.

the v8 explorers have the 8.8 rear end if I'm not mistaken so shouldn't any 8.8 locker fit?

the v8 explorers have the 8.8 rear end if I'm not mistaken so shouldn't any 8.8 locker fit?

all the second gen ex have 8.8. what im trying to say is that if the awd your looking at has a limited slip differential a standard mech locker wont fit the carrier. if its an open rear end that has no clutches a locker will fit. thats not to say that some bigger companies dont make one to fit or an ecectric locker wont work either, i just cant remember if they do or not

This forum seems to be a ghost town

I'd do the manual transfer case before a locker.

Depending on the terrain in your area, having that extra gearing in the transfer case will allow you to climb hills and rocks much more easy than with the AWD transfer case.

if it has a limited slip it's not the end of the world,, an open carrier fits in there, and a lunchbox type locker fits an open, , still cheaper than most locking setups,
this an excellent cheap locker for an open carrier,,

http://lokka.com/site/

Why not over clutch the trac lock? I have done this several times to trucks and cars and it locks tight and works like a charm

Yeah after reading more about a locker and it's street manners I might just keep the limited slip but just beef it up some.

Back