Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

Wife called tonight that brakes sounded bad. She made it home. Looks like the rear brakes have been sticking. 2014 Limited with only 5900 miles. Not been real happy with this purchase. Really hope i can get into my local dealer in the morning to get fixed . First post but have been lurking for some time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum batwood13.:wavey:

Peter

My local dealer checked them out this morning. Couldnt find any issues. They greased them. Will see how they do as I have about 200 miles to drive today.

I noticed my rears squeek I have just over 2k on the clock...

Still having problems almost a month later. Getting worse actually. The sound is very loud. Might try a different dealership.

Still having problems almost a month later. Getting worse actually. The sound is very loud. Might try a different dealership.

Let's get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager (CSM), batwood13. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll have your CSM contact you to discuss this further.

Crystal

Count me in as not a happy camper- 40k on clock, original owner, all highway miles, driver's side rear brakes are now toast/burnt up, caliper slides corrode easily in northern weather (I work up north), then pads don't release as should- engineers should have done better job, no doubt. A design flaw.

That is common on allot of the new brakes that are coming out on the new Ford nowadays.
[/I]
i just had the 1st service and told them about brakes after i picked it up the counter guy told me sum bs on how the tech checked brakes and measured calipers and found no issues so i get in truck drive to corner of lot hit brakes and squeeek go back to counter and ask for tech to come for ride and hear for himself so this kid who looked like he couldnt screw in a light bulb comes out and tells me new brakes have a coating that usually makes noise 4 the 1st couple thousand miles??? lol so then i told him i change the brakes in all my previuos cars and have never heard a peep.....

[/I]
i just had the 1st service and told them about brakes after i picked it up the counter guy told me sum bs on how the tech checked brakes and measured calipers and found no issues so i get in truck drive to corner of lot hit brakes and squeeek go back to counter and ask for tech to come for ride and hear for himself so this kid who looked like he couldnt screw in a light bulb comes out and tells me new brakes have a coating that usually makes noise 4 the 1st couple thousand miles??? lol so then i told him i change the brakes in all my previuos cars and have never heard a peep.....

So I guess all their new vehicles on the lot have squeaky brakes at all 4 corners then, lol.

Does anyone have the torque specifications for the guide pin and bracket fasteners? I'm going to check my brakes for this problem. I wish Ford had the service manuals online, for free like Mazda.

Not as far as I know. Been a few months since I posted my frustration with my rear brakes. Truck under 2 years old, darn near all highway miles. Religiously/regularly take it through car washes, with solid undercarriage blast to clear salt in northern winters. No dice. Need ALL NEW brakes in back. Not wanting to replace with factory OEM components, and basically go through the wash/rinse/repeat/buy new OEM Ford brakes yet AGAIN. Sure, the video is good for a "fix," but I honestly don't expect these problems when buying a new vehicle. Come on Ford, really? And Ford KNOWS about this issue too. Love the SUV otherwise, but if anyone knows of some good/recommended aftermarket brakes to consider, I'm certainly game. Not a happy camper. Willing to pay for whatever it costs, just to avoid the hassles of dealing w/seriously flawed OEM brake equipment, at least in the rear. If I replace my now TOTALLY shot rear brakes (primarily driver's side drag) w/OEM, I'll just be doing the same exact thing in oh, say, likely within a year from now. NO THANKS!! Any thoughts or recommendations anyone? Don't care if I need to replace everything, pads, rotors, you name it, as that's what I'm looking at being forced to do as is right now anyhow. Shame on you Ford, for poor design, and not addressing this issue with folks who've ponied up loot for a brand new vehicle. Any help, Ford? I already know that answer. So, I'm appealing to other Sploder folks for their insights, thank you kindly.

Hey all, Yup... just had my Explorer in for a rear brake job because of this... I try to do some work myself, but it is winter and it was cold so I had them look at the brakes. I suspected it was seized because rims were so hot that snow was boiling off of them. $700 rear brake job later... New rotors, pads. I am not impressed.

Hey all, Yup... just had my Explorer in for a rear brake job because of this... I try to do some work myself, but it is winter and it was cold so I had them look at the brakes. I suspected it was seized because rims were so hot that snow was boiling off of them. $700 rear brake job later... New rotors, pads. I am not impressed.

$700??? :eek: Holy smokes they raked you over the coals. It's $190 Canadian in parts to do everything except replace the calipers....$510 Canadian in labor for a 2 wheel brake job is nuts..even with the exchange rate that's $550+ in US Dollars.

$700??? :eek: Holy smokes they raked you over the coals. It's $190 Canadian in parts to do everything except replace the calipers....$510 Canadian in labor for a 2 wheel brake job is nuts..even with the exchange rate that's $550+ in US Dollars.

Yes... I will need to check the itemized invoice.. maybe they ended up doing the calipers too. I have done my own brakes on my Honda before 1/5 the price. I pissed and in a hurry to get my kids when i left. I will look it over now.

Yes... I will need to check the itemized invoice.. maybe they ended up doing the calipers too. I have done my own brakes on my Honda before 1/5 the price. I pissed and in a hurry to get my kids when i left. I will look it over now.

Here is the detail... I forgot.. I had a $100/ gift card from when they messed up my recall work so it was actually $804!!!. The costs were:
Reline Rear Brakes (labour cost I think @1.7 hours) $220.83
Rotors: $212.36
Pads: $153.95
Copper Antiseize: $14.78
Brake Fluid Flush (@ 1 hour): $93.51
Fluid: $16.44
Some gov't fee: $0.36
Total: $712.12
Plus pay the taxman; total is $804.82

This, for a 2013 XLT with 40,000 KM on it...

The costs were:
Reline Rear Brakes (labour cost I think @1.7 hours) $220.83
Rotors: $212.36
Pads: $153.95
Copper Antiseize: $14.78...

Egad..I had just a tick under $150 US in what I quoted above...

This is exactly what I'm going through now. Have an appointment on Mon to get the rear breaks done. Vehicle has 38K KM on it.
About 4 months ago brought it in because of some rear break grinding sounds. They machined off a small layer of the rotor but put the original pads back in.
The problem came back. They now explained the sticking of the pads and are going to fix it.
They are covering the labor under warranty and machining of the rotors for a fresh new surface. I'm only responsible to cover the cost of new pads which were $85 and will have a lifetime warranty. I understand they are using a slightly new pad kit and doing a full cleanup and lube on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys.....I had pretty much the same problem that you are all having!!! Right rear pads burning hot ultimately killing the shoes and rotor....after trying the clean up video routine the problem came back fairly quick(1000 miles or so) so I changed out the caliper for $100 and the problem is GONE....I'm sure the shop will charge a couple hundred but if you can turn a wrench you can get it done in an hour.....if your under warranty FIGHT LIKE HELL TO HAVE THEM REPLACE THE CALIPER....

Back