• Register Today It's free!

MO Plates

keithw1975

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer ST
Anyone from MO on here who can tell me what type of plates the DMV gave them for their explorer? I am curious if it considered a car or a truck. Since it can weigh around 12K pounds loaded with a trailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to know this as well since I pick up my new Explorer in the morning.

Just got my title on my '13 Ex Limited, body style on title says utility, HP says 31. Had my plates transferred from my '06 Escape XLT.

Hope that helps......

I think it will say truck on the registration but not on the plate. Here in new jersey my reg ssays truck but my plates dont.

I think it will say truck on the registration but not on the plate. Here in new jersey my reg ssays truck but my plates dont.

Probably like WV. They call any SUV or CUV a "truck". I guess that's so you feel more "macho" and not like a soccer mom! LOL :)

Anyone from MO on here who can tell me what type of plates the DMV gave them for their explorer? I am curious if it considered a car or a truck. Since it can weigh around 12K pounds loaded with a trailer.

Car plates-believe county personal property taxes said Explorer truck

So I know I'm in NH and not MO but figured this may help. My state registers the vehicle as a Passenger vehicle (does not list car or truck on registration). It has based on a 6160GVWR which is what the sticker says on the vehicle. It doesn't matter whether it can tow 5,000lbs or not because you pay for the weight of the trailer during its own registration.

If you look at the sticker on your driver's door, it states the vehicle is a "truck" per Ford.

Example: My F350 is rated at 11,500lbs so that's what I pay for despite my truck weighing 8,400lbs (and capable of towing 16,300lbs). What I can tow has nothing to do with the truck registration. My 5th wheel weights 11,400lbs so when I register my trailer, I pay for the 11,400lbs on the trailer registration.

If your state handles registrations completely different, disregard everything I said lol.

On my pickup, I tow enough that I had to license it up to 24k pounds, so I figured with the explorer it would at least need 6k lb plates.

So I know I'm in NH and not MO...

Thanks for the write-up blwnsmoke. I'm in NH as well and didn't know any of that! Good to know.

Jon

According to the DMV it can use either. My choice. I went with truck plates, as they don't require a rear plate, and are exempt from the seat belt law.

Back