Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
John , thanks so much for sharing this info. Did Ford come good for the repair or did your dealer cover it. What is your dealers name............... will be the first question asked of me when I take mine back in and complain some more. Funny Ford engineer's couldn't figure this out; but then again you can't tell an engineer much.........all they know is what is on the spec sheet and that is always gospel. Good you found someone who could think outside of the box .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never knew about that problem before coming to this forum. I can honestly say that I've never experienced any of what you guys are reporting about that burnt smell coming into the cabin.
I'm at about 15000 miles now and have done spirited driving with mine on a few occasions.
3.5L here.

Never knew about that problem before coming to this forum. I can honestly say that I've never experienced any of what you guys are reporting about that burnt smell coming into the cabin.
I'm at about 15000 miles now and have done spirited driving with mine on a few occasions.
3.5L here.

It's not everyone that has this problem. Going on 4 years with my Ex and have never had the smell. I also run it hard.

drove about 110 miles so far on my sport...no burnt spell at all here...18.5K miles

I have a 2015 Ex LTD and had the TSB done in November. Did not notice much smell after until getting down to Florida and having the AC on. I am still getting the burnt hair/oil smell upon quick on ramp acceleration and then deceleration after blending in with traffic...

Let's get the burning smell under control, gypsy321. Please PM your VIN, odometer reading, full name, daytime phone number, and preferred dealer info; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager.

Kwasi

FordServiceCA,
Can you help with the exhaust smell or only the burning smell?

FordServiceCA,
Can you help with the exhaust smell or only the burning smell?
The Ford rep can assist with the exhaust smell issue as well although I wouldn't get my hopes up on a resolution. Going by past posts here, the success rate seems to be extremely small. Just send them the info requested in a PM and they will get back to you. Note that they usually are not in the office on weekends. Good luck.

Peter

The Ford rep can assist with the exhaust smell issue as well although I wouldn't get my hopes up on a resolution. Going by past posts here, the success rate seems to be extremely small. Just send them the info requested in a PM and they will get back to you. Note that they usually are not in the office on weekends. Good luck.

Peter

After all of my posts here, I just want to let everyone know that they were unable to fix mine and I was finally able to get through to Ford and they have purchased my 2015 XLT that has 6900 miles on it back under my states Lemon Law guidelines. After 3 attempts to give me new ones, and they all smelled awful, they just bought it back.
Its too bad, loved my explorer but I am no longer a Ford owner. I hope they have this fixed when my next lease is up so I can go back.
Good luck to all, it has taken 5 months but I do believe that Ford did the right thing.

Two months into driving our Explorer Sport, and Carbon Monoxide meter still showing zero parts per million in the cabin, and there are no bad smells at any time, including 5000 rpm accelerations at times. Don't know if this has anything at all to do with anything but we have using NON ethanol 93 octane pure gas. Fuel mileage has been at the top of the scale for both highway and city. In fact, everything about this vehicle has been flawless. Still amazed...
Anyone who has lived in Southwest Louisiana for any length of time probably has no "sense of smell" left. If they do, the exhaust probably smells good compared to the "normal" smell in the air. :) sorry, couldn't resist throwing in a bit of humor.

Thanks JonnSmith2014 for the input. We scheduled an appointment for next week to see if the new service mgr at our local dealership can do something to help. Not sure why the new "air vents" are the same as the originals. I was told they were different and had a different part #.? Well, I don't have high hopes for the cure, but we have to do something.

I am getting the same gas smell in my truck . I Have the car at the dealership now to check it out.

I am curious...i haven;t gone through all the posts but it seems not a lot of sport owner have this issue? Or do they?

My sport is fine so i guess i am a lucky one...but i don't see many sport owners in here

pup5581, does your sport have rear a/c ? That could make a difference, I don't know. Do the 2 door sports have rear a/c ? You're fortunate if you don't have "the problem".

The 5th generation Sport doesn't come in a 2 door version.

Peter

And what's "rear a/c"? Mine has controls on the back of the 1st row console for the 2nd row back to control their a/c. Is that what you mean?

No stink in my 15 sport yet, and I get my foot into it now and then. ;-)

The 5th generation Sport doesn't come in a 2 door version.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I haven't kept up with Fords for a while, my last new one was a 1968 Galaxy 500 fastback...:D I'm hoping they can get this one squared away so it won't be the last. Gary

pup5581, does your sport have rear a/c ? That could make a difference, I don't know. Do the 2 door sports have rear a/c ? You're fortunate if you don't have "the problem".

ya it has rear ac

2015 Ford Explorer exhaust smell inside vehicle UPDATE

3-31-15 update on 2015 Ford Explorer

The dealer performed TSB 14.0130 which involved removing the rear bumper and replacing the air retractor and fender moulding.

I had to take it back in after the repair as I was still getting the exhaust smell inside the car.

The dealer applied more sealant to a vent door at the back rear of the vehicle, and so far it appears to have stopped the exhaust smell from entering the vehicle.

Given the issues I've had with this new Explore from Ford, i.e. front windshield cowling vibrating and making a buzzing sound in the care, hood latch release not routed property and causing a buzzing sound inside the car at 45 mph, strut mounts popping when turning, exhaust smell inside vehicle, and no day time running lights...it is unlikely that I will buy another Ford vehicle.

2015 Ford Explorer Exhaust Smell inside cab

3-31-15 update on 2015 Ford Explorer Exhaust odor inside of cabin during hard acceleration.

mileage 11,000 201 Ford Explorer Limited. Trailer Package installed by dealer.

I starting noticing an exhaust odor inside my vehicle at about 1,000.00 miles.

The dealer recently performed TSB 14.0130 which involved removing the rear bumper and replacing the air retractor and fender moulding.

I had to take it back in after the repair as I was still getting the exhaust smell inside the car.

The dealer applied more sealant to a vent door at the back rear of the vehicle, and so far it appears to have stopped the exhaust smell from entering the vehicle.

Given the issues I've had with this new Explorer , i.e. front windshield cowling vibrating and making a buzzing sound in the car, hood latch release not routed property and causing a buzzing sound inside the car at 45 mph, strut mounts popping when turning, exhaust smell inside vehicle, and no day time running lights...it is unlikely that I will buy another Ford vehicle.
User.pb1 is online now Report Post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to agree the Ford Explorers just DO NOT have the level of quality control one would expect from a 2015 vehicle. Ford dropped the ball at it's Chicago plant..............it is like the Q. C. at this location is stuck in the 60's. Had the TSB done on my 2015 and it did not stop exhaust fumes from entering cabin............returning to dealer when I get back home. I put out a PM to John Smith 2014 to ask if his fix performed on his EX is still keeping out the fumes ( wheel weights on rear vents to help close them) but I have not heard back or seen him back on this forum. John if you are out there .........give us an update PLEASE

Back