154 Miles with Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

154 Miles with Issues

Mdg4486

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
Picked up my brand new 2015 Ford Explorer yesterday and have absolutely loved it until just now. I was driving when my Low Coolant temperature warning came on with the check Engine light shortly after. Soon started to lose power and then the Low Oil Pressure light came on. The vehicle became barely driveable as I slowly pulled into a parking lot.

Long story short with only 154 miles on the car I am sitting here waiting on Ford Roadside Assistance to pick me up and take me back to the dealership only one day after I picked it up.

Sure hope this doesn't take long to fix it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's frustrating but take heart. I had early issues with two next Explorers – rear differential and transmission replacements. Both were done under warranty. I got 160,00 out of one and 250,000 miles out of the other with nary another problem.

After an hour and 15 minutes I'm still stranded with no tow company showing up yet..

If your cooling fans failed, that could cause the overheating issue and in turn the engine could have gone into 'limp' mode where alternating cylinders close down in an attempt to protect the engine. That would explain the loss of power. Not sure if I've explained it 100% but it's something like that.
Also it would be helpful in possibly addressing future concerns if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin.
Good luck and keep us in the loop please.

From page 320 of your Owner's Manual;

How Fail-Safe Cooling Works
If the engine begins to overheat, the engine coolant temperature gauge
will move to the red (hot) area and:
The coolant temperature warning light will illuminate.
The service engine soon indicator will illuminate.
If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine
will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled
cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine.
When this occurs the vehicle will still operate. However:
• The engine power will be limited.
• The air conditioning system will be disabled.
Continued operation will increase the engine temperature and the engine
will completely shut down, causing steering and braking effort to
increase.
Once the engine temperature cools, the engine can be restarted. Take
your vehicle to an authorized dealer as soon as possible to minimize
engine damage.

Peter

The cooling fans were one of then first things I checked when the light came on. Still running. However once they got it up on the tow truck you could see the car was leaking antifreeze.

The cooling fans were one of then first things I checked when the light came on. Still running. However once they got it up on the tow truck you could see the car was leaking antifreeze.

First rule in buying these new Fords. Go home and tighten all hose clamps. I had clamps that were finger tight. Start reading all the problems you will soon be having with your new Explorer below.

Picked up my brand new 2015 Ford Explorer yesterday and have absolutely loved it until just now. I was driving when my Low Coolant temperature warning came on with the check Engine light shortly after. Soon started to lose power and then the Low Oil Pressure light came on. The vehicle became barely driveable as I slowly pulled into a parking lot.

Long story short with only 154 miles on the car I am sitting here waiting on Ford Roadside Assistance to pick me up and take me back to the dealership only one day after I picked it up.

Sure hope this doesn't take long to fix it!

Hi Mdg4486,

I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they'll work with your dealership to get you back on the road again. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update: Great News! I was only out of the Explorer for less than 24 hrs. It seems like the issue was when they were building the Explorer at the factory there was a clamp on a hose that wasn't engaged properly. So as I was driving down the street that hose popped off and leaked all of the coolant out. It was an easy fix and now I am back on the road with my new Explorer!

First rule in buying these new Fords. Go home and tighten all hose clamps. I had clamps that were finger tight. Start reading all the problems you will soon be having with your new Explorer below.

ding ding ding! winner!

At least you now know that the engine Fail-Safe Cooling system works.;)
I'd also make sure that this incident is well documented in both your records and those of Ford in case of any future issues that might be tied back to this failure.

Peter

My new 2007 Edge blew the hoses off the second day I owned it.

Back