• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of selling

ffpmme

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
Hello, So I am thinking of selling my 00 Explorer Ltd. And down size to a Subaru Forester. The 5.0 is hurting me, not as much, but still. I guess I have had so much help, with fixing my truck here, I should ask, what do you think would be a fair price for it?

Details:

2000 explorer, 5.0 v-8
AWD
Leather inside, no tears in great shape
Sunroof
running boards
AM.FM.TAPE.CD - had a changer, took it out to add mp3 hook up.
Waxed, polished and/or rubbed out every 3 months.
Paint shines, Norhtern car so small amount of surface rust on the bottom of the pass doors and some on the bottom of tail gate.

What I have done:
new rear axle seals 1-/13
Front Brakes and Shocks 2/15
Rear Brakes 11/14
Front Pass UCA 2 piece 2/15
Alignment 2/15
3 out of 4 new tires

What it needs
Master control on drivers side is a little wonky with rear windows, no down but will go up.
Probably needs drivers UCA
I think it has a bad axle seal on pass front, smell a little gear lube, but no mess.

I am second owner, I have all paperwork for reapirs from first owner.
All my own oil changes, mostly motorcraft blend and filter, switched to Shell full synthetic and Mobil 1 full synthetic, all with motorcraft filters.

Now I am not sure I am selling. Would like to keep it, love the truck, but think the Subaru will be better, for what i need now.if I get a good number several times thats what I will ask. KBB says 4-5K not sure if that is a good number or not.

Any ideas, please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say about $2200.

There can be a large variance between your particular market and the KBB value, even though they ask for your zip code on their site, IIRC.

If it were in my area (and if I were in the market) I would offer you about $3K and suggest you list it closer to $3500, but only you can determine your market by looking at similar listings in your area.

Then again some people will keep a vehicle listed at an unrealistically high price because they aren't so anxious to sell and that seems like the situation you're in right now. You can list it somewhere free like craigslist with "OBO" included and see what offers you get.

I would say about $2200.

Yikes :eek::eek::eek:

There can be a large variance between your particular market and the KBB value, even though they ask for your zip code on their site, IIRC.

If it were in my area (and if I were in the market) I would offer you about $3K and suggest you list it closer to $3500, but only you can determine your market by looking at similar listings in your area.

Then again some people will keep a vehicle listed at an unrealistically high price because they aren't so anxious to sell and that seems like the situation you're in right now. You can list it somewhere free like craigslist with "OBO" included and see what offers you get.

That is what I am thinking, I know it is what the market will bear, and I want to make sure I am realistic with what I want out of it, because I am thinking of getting something else, so I need to know what I can spend. I will try CL also, see what plays out. I paid 4K in 7/12. I was also thinking EB and see if it sells with a reserve.

Seriously, depending on any rust, your going to be lucky to get $2.500. People are selling '05-06 suvs for $4k. I see so many jeeps and chevy suvs going for $4k around 05's

Around here a 2005 with the V8, ~140K mi., new tires and maintenance records would sell for $5K+ unless the interior was trashed or it had significant mechanical issues.

Somehow when I see them with a trashed interior I pretty much assume there are mechanical issues too, that it's why it's being sold now that gas prices are back down.

I do think $2500 for a '00 is closer to reality but I'd value it a bit more due to the V8, new tires, and being familiar with a 2nd gen already, plus knowing there are a ton of them in junk yards to get parts from... plus this forum alone can save a lot of money on DIY repairs. A lot of vehicle forums aren't as hands-on as this one.

well this is a eye opener. It is a lot less then I was expecting. So with that being said, should I try to off load it, since it is at the bottom and any money I put in will not help raise that #, or just keep it till it's dead?

Keep it till it's dead has to be the more popular answer since this is a sub-forum for people who (still) have one. Ask in a Subaru Forester forum and they'll tell you to get rid of it.

Back