Project "Night Light" LED Light Bar mount build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project "Night Light" LED Light Bar mount build

Hey guys,
I am building a light rack for my pickup to eventually hold a 42in led light bar. This is the first time I have ever tried a project on this scale and it is/was a lot of fun!

I think this will get some of those creative juices flowing and hopefully inspire some of you to start a build of your own! Let me know what you think!

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9L00SMSHQ

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amc-BfSh25E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's looking good but remember triangles are your friend and where any strength will come from. It really needs an angled down bar and some gussets to keep the light from bouncing, that will be more annoying than light on the hood. I added another gusset to the pic I put to your other thread.

ATTACH]

It's looking good but remember triangles are your friend and where any strength will come from. It really needs an angled down bar and some gussets to keep the light from bouncing, that will be more annoying than light on the hood. I added another gusset to the pic I put to your other thread.

ATTACH]

Thanks man! Yea, surprisingly I did not need to use any gussets (you will see that in Part 2). Before painting I rode around with the light bar on and it is rock solid. I think the thick 1.5in square tubing is keeping the whole thing rigid. I was prepared to do some triangulation because I though for sure it would need it!

Off topic, thought that truck looked familiar. By the way thanks for your how to videos, they helped me out in my repairs

Heres a few tips on welding if ya didnt know them already

1. push with hard wire, drag with flux wire
2. you can always bend on a tack, you cant bend against the tack. Helps when your getting stuff level, such as posts etc.

Simple tips but some dont know these. Your fab skills are great! If you have any other questions let me know, been welding structural for 10 years now for a living.

How do you like that little welder??? I would love to get one for my garage.

Also depending on metal thickness there is no need for "gussets" or "braces". Im sure that is plenty strong for that light bar.

One more thing, go to your metal supplier and ask for a drop of expanded metal. Put that under the roof rack part so you can carry stuff up there.

Back