• Register Today It's free!

Class III tow package

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
I'm a second and fourth generation owner, and considering a 2015. Am I correct that the tow package is only available on AWD models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it includes HD cooling, and the necessary frame mounted 2" receiver for towing.

TB

Yes, it includes HD cooling, and the necessary frame mounted 2" receiver for towing.

TB

I'm a second and fourth generation owner, and considering a 2015. Am I correct that the tow package is only available on AWD models?

The tow package is available on both AWD & FWD Explorers.

One thing you can do is to go to the Ford.com website a use the Build & Price feature. That will allow you to custom build your vehicle and at the same time see what is available for the model you selected. They also have downloadable brochures and a towing guide.

Peter

Michael,
Tow is available on 2WD (FWD) 2011-2016 Ford Explorers. But, take it from a guy that lived very happily for 20 years with 2WD (RWD) Ford Explorers - Get the AWD on the new Explorer and the tow package and the automatic liftgate.

Why the automatic liftgate? It has to be down to align the trailer with the hitch using the backup camera.

Why the automatic liftgate? It has to be down to align the trailer with the hitch using the backup camera.

Nothing to do with towing - just convenience.

We have a '15 XLT with FWD and the tow package. In FL, AWD isn't really that compelling - and the MPG hit made it 'not worth it' for us.

I tried build and price and can't put tow package on a FWD explorer, that's why I asked...I want to do my research before I go to dealer.

I tried build and price and can't put tow package on a FWD explorer, that's why I asked...I want to do my research before I go to dealer.

I own a 2012 Ltd FWD and had the towing pkg included when it was built for me. It IS available for FWD.........

You must be selecting the base model. The towing option does not appear on base models unless you select AWD. You'll have to select the XLT to be able to select that option in FWD. I'm not sure why that is other than a "base" model is, well...base. I would ask the dealer if the tow package is available even in the base FWD model. Better yet, call Ford as dealers have been known to just tell you what you want to hear.

Happy shopping!

You must be selecting the base model. The towing option does not appear on base models unless you select AWD. You'll have to select the XLT to be able to select that option in FWD. I'm not sure why that is other than a "base" model is, well...base. I would ask the dealer if the tow package is available even in the base FWD model. Better yet, call Ford as dealers have been known to just tell you what you want to hear.

Happy shopping!

Not knowing which model you were trying to build, I found that you can add the class III package to the XLT, FWD as long as it doesn't have the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. You can also add it to the FWD Limited without the 2.0 Ecoboost. For the Base model it is only available on the AWD model.

Peter

The tow package is not available with the 2.0l ecoboost engine. It will be available on the 2016 with the new 2.3l ecoboost. Also the cutoff date for ordering or changing an existing 2015 order is long past. You'll have to order a 2016.

Thank you all for getting that sorted out for me, I was trying to build a base front wheel drive 3.5L.

Back