Door Ajar alert when defrost button pushed FIXED!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar alert when defrost button pushed FIXED!!

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Just the other day noticed that I could not lock or unlock any doors with button when the key was out of ignition. Locks worked when the truck was running. I wasn't too worried about it. Figured I would get to it when I get to it.

THEN: I attempted to defrost my window. My "Door Ajar" light came on and sound chimed.

My search lead me to this thread
Great info Synster!

Basically a wire broke between the door and body. The black ground wire from the door lock switch was severed.

During the winter my truck experience some "door ajar" issues. Now I know why it happened every time I hit a bump. I thought my hatch was not closing properly.

Here is thread to remove door panel.

Great info BigRondo!

Here is what I found:

Remove Door Panel !
20150405_163317.jpg

I pulled the wire boot off the door to find a broken black wire that leads from lock/unlock switch.
20150405_163328.jpg

View from inside door. I removed the electrical tape.
20150405_163555.jpg

I was able to free boot from body and pull it into the door cavity.
20150405_164804.jpg

Here is the wire as it would be in boot. Nice clean break.
20150405_164831.jpg

Unfortunately I left my soldering iron at work along with my heat shrink. So I settled for a crimp connection and electrical tape.
20150405_170004.jpg

Everything tested fine! So taped up my connection. Pulled the boot back into place and buttoned up door panel. FIXED!:thumbsup:
20150405_170410.jpg

Not a spectacular writeup, but figure I post something to help future searchers.

-V

Excellent info, thank you.

Note:
The wire boot, door side has two extensions that gets taped onto the wire bundle. I did tape the wires up again, but left the boot unattached to the wires. I am thinking that it will allow the wires to move more freely within the boot and possibly avoid more broken wires.

Back