• Register Today It's free!

lift and upgrades

chuckalusky

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4x4
I just bought a 2001 explorer sport 4x4. Purchased it for $1500.00 and it needs some T.L.C. I would love some input on lift kits. I want to put a 2"-3" suspenion lift and replace the shocks.[which are shot] Any recommdations on complete kits.I live in S.FLA. and there are places to mud [everglades] but I'm not going there with this.I had 2 Toyota 4x4's with 35's and I beat them to death. Momma wound'nt like me doing this to her ride . Just want a better stance and be able to pull a 4 wheeler out there. Can't stand cookie cutters !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my 96 I went with an AAL and Warrior shackles with a TT up front. Guys say you can run 2" of lift up front using the TT but I didn't feel comfortable going that far so I stuck at 1.5" to keep my suspension geometry halfway decent. I used a Superlift long AAL and the warrior shackle out back and ended up with about a 3" lift out back which helped level things out and get rid of that saggy ass look. My rear end now sits 1" higher than the front and it looks good. So if you run 31's on this setup you'll end up with a nice 3-4" lift at a reasonable price.

On my 99 I have a 4" Superlift suspension lift with warrior shackles out back and a TT. It sits a solid 5" over stock maybe 6. With 33's you'll have a nice 7-8" lift and IMO it's a bit much for a daily driver. I can still rip my 96 through turns, the 99 is a bit top heavy.

Agree completely with Rollover... I did go all the way with the torsion twist and haven't had any problems. I also replaced all 5 shocks. Monroe sensatrac in front and Monroe sensatrac load levelers in the rear as well as a Monroe stabilizer on the rear axle. I've got 31" General Grabber AT2s on the truck which gives me just over 4" of lift all around. Truck sits high, even, handles good, and can tow damn near anything you'd want.

How about these? http://www.amazon.com/Superior-12-1...7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428453220&sr=1-27

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-14-0...8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428453220&sr=1-48

The second link, the smaller springs I'd use on front.
I've heard of people doing that successfully.

I'm going to try it out, I've run out of TT adjustment and the back is still a bit higher and I want firmer springs in the front.
Even though I've run out of TT adjustment the front isn't overly high, there's just something funny with my torsion bars.

How can you use the helper springs on the front? And what will you gain by using them?

Thanks for the input. Well I bought the torsion lift and helper springs in the rear. Did'nt install yet so I don't know how far I"ll crank it. (thinking 2") I'm not worried about the C.V. geometry as much as the sterring and suspension. Bought Moog steering kit (inner ,outer tie rod ends ,lower ball joints ) and Moog upper control arms. Went with the R.K. but I guess than ran out cause they gave me 1 RK and 1CK. ( As long as they had greese fittings ) Thought I tilt the rear end a little so went with 4 degree shims.Smoothing it out with Rancho 5000 shocks for 2" lift. Total $550. after rebate still on the cheap. Pulled a 600 watt amp,pioneer head unit, and sub out of my Mustang.(Momma blew the head gasket) So $ 48.00 for wire & adapter. cheap. Cosmetics so far is a Bullbar, Bugdeflector II, and 2 -100 watt blazer lights.Waiting on replacement fog lights. Total $250.00 So to date parts $1350.00 and $1500.00 for the truck. Would post pics but the $20.00 isn.t in the buget.Thanks guys and I'll might squeeze out that Elite membership soon.

Back