helper shocks with AAL and shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

helper shocks with AAL and shackles?

97exploder19

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited 5.0
Just wondering if I add helper shocks to my truck that already has AAL's and shackles, if the frame will still be taking as much load as a truck without those two items installed.

Im asking because I may need to tow a car from Pennsylvania to Michigan in the spring time and would like to get the shocks to help the old/saggy leafs while towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you would be ok since your not putting the entire load on the shocks alone .

Thanks for the response.

Just ordered them from Amazon. Im hoping these will take care of the drivers side lean too.

Thanks for the response.

Just ordered them from Amazon. Im hoping these will take care of the drivers side lean too.

You can fix the lean by switching your pass side and driver side leaf springs.

I know, but Im too lazy to tear it apart right now. Maybe in the summer when its not -1 outside.

You can fix the lean by switching your pass side and driver side leaf springs.

This OR just back off your front right torsion bar a bit and that will pull the left rear of the truck up and level things out. I did that with mine until I got the chance to swap my rear leaf packs side to side.

This OR just back off your front right torsion bar a bit and that will pull the left rear of the truck up and level things out. I did that with mine until I got the chance to swap my rear leaf packs side to side.

While that will "level" the ride, it will decrease the camber angle on the "lowered" front wheel.

In other words, the truck will be level but the alignment is messed up. ;)

I have been using the load adjust helper shocks for a while now, since the leafs are bearing most of the weight the frame is safe.

While that will "level" the ride, it will decrease the camber angle on the "lowered" front wheel.

In other words, the truck will be level but the alignment is messed up. ;)

I have been using the load adjust helper shocks for a while now, since the leafs are bearing most of the weight the frame is safe.

Good call.

I'm rocking shackles, AAL's, and load levelers. Took the sag out of my ass but still got that gangsta lean to the drivers side. Gonna have to swap the leaf packs anyway...

Yeah after install, I still have a lean. Its not too bad, but I can tell. Maybe 3/4" at most from side to side.

Back