Lowest STock Gear Ratio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowest STock Gear Ratio?

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama/Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 5spd & 87 Ranger 4x4
What is the lowest Stock Gear Ratio on the explorers? I belive its 3.73 but i've been told it's 4.10? if its 4.10 what years?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.10's were available as options on 95+ explorers with 16-inch wheels and 255/70/16 tires.

those would have to have a towing package correct?

Not for sure, but I think so.

ALL Explorers were available with 4:10 gears. When Ford came out with the 16" tires as an option, the 4:10 gears were the standard gears w/16" tires. The 4:10 gears were not a requirement for the tow package.

Actually that is totally wrong. NO 91-94 explorers were available with 4.10 gears. And no, 4.10's were not standard with the 16" wheels. My truck has the 16" wheels and it came from the factory with 3.73 gears.

As pointed out, 16" wheels didn't guarantee 4.10 gears. Many had 3.73 with the larger wheels, but some had 4.10's. It wasn't special order; my sport came with them off the lot. 4.10's may have been standard on the sport with the SOHC engine, but I don't know for certain.

IOW, I beleive that Jason is correct.

Oh yeah, I don't think that there was much to the towing package on late model explorers. You would think that there would be a little extra tranny cooler, larger radiator, and HD springs along with good gearing and limited slip, but that isn't the case. I think you get the trailer light hookup and maybe a hitch (or maybe not). I think it may be entirely a dealer addon now.

Are all the 4.10's limited slip on the explorers? or are there some with the open differential?

Originally posted by leenjen
Are all the 4.10's limited slip on the explorers? or are there some with the open differential?

Nope some of them are open. This is on mostly on 2-wheel drive models I beleive.

Mine was open, 4.10, 4wd. I added the Auburn limited slip (or had it installed anyways). Very helpful IMHO.

The 4.10 could be gotten open or LS. The deciding factor was whether or not you got the tow package. The tow package included the LS, without the package you got an open diff. The 4.10 have been available since '95. On the '97 & '98 for sure (I thought this also went for the '95 & '96 as well) whenever the Explorer was equipped with the 16" tires, it came with the 4.10. Beginning some time later (I think '99) ford made the 3.73 standard with the 16" tires. The 4.10 remained as an option when the tow package was ordered. I believe Ford dropped the 4.10 from the option list onthe 2000 (maybe the 2001 also) since I tried building one on their web-site and it never gave me an option for the 4.10s. I know the first few '97s I looked at with the 16" tires came with a 4.10 open axle. I looked through the dealer's selection book since I wanted the LS. The only way for me to get it was to get the tow package (which also includes added relays and a transmission cooler). My co-worker has a '98 without the optional tow package and his came with a 4.10 open axle.

On the '97 & '98 for sure (I thought this also went for the '95 & '96 as well) whenever the Explorer was equipped with the 16" tires, it came with the 4.10.

Robert, I believe the 4.10 w/16s did start in '97. I have a '95 EB with stock 16s and have 3.73.

Back