• Register Today It's free!

"Just Live With It"

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I have heard countless times the phrase "just live with it" in regard to various potential projects/improvements/repairs I bring up when discussing my truck. "It's old, let it be", they say. But I don't want to listen, as irresponsible as that may sound. Perhaps I really am unreasonable. Maybe I could get something new for all I put into it.

Honestly, I don't want to. I mean, maybe in addition to my truck, I would consider it. But already have another vehicle (working on that one too). I like my truck, and I like working on it. It's worth it to me. I get flack for restoring a 20 year old Ford SUV, though. And if I can make it work like it should, why not?

An interesting question came to mind, though: Anyone else get called crazy for putting money into their first gen? How far have you gone in keeping it running and looking good? So far, I got a head gasket, seats, ball joints, steering knuckle, and soon, passenger front power window. Not to mention the stereo (head unit, sub, amp, speakers). Headliner is coming, so is some rust repair and paint. I've even found the OEM embroidered floor mats for it.

Just curious if anyone puts up with the resistance I do! Maybe I am nuts. :D:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see nothing wrong with that. The problem I see is when someone puts more money into a project than the vehicle is worth. If you have a $800 rust bucket that drives, then there is no reason for expensive projects like aftermarket air intake, exhaust, or anything else like that. If you find a mint truck with a blown motor, and you rebuild it, then you have something.

Lol just keep your head up man. It is one of those things that either you get it or you don't. If they don't get it then most of the time, no endless amount of explaining will change their minds.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have the luxury of only getting to deal with new vehicles but that simply isn't the case. I can certainly afford one but the debt hanging over my head always seems like a constant burden and stresses me out to be honest. Having only one vehicle also stresses me out immensely, so having "older" vehicles that are paid off and a lot cheaper insurance allows me to have 2 vehicles versus 1 new one and to save money for repairs.

At the end of the day it's your vehicle/vehicles, it's your money, and your choice to do with it what you want. Maybe it isn't the exact route I or someone else would go but then again its not really any of my business.

I'm doing the things now that I couldn't afford to do years ago. When people ask me why I spend money and time on 2 old Explorers my answer is simple.
"Because I can and that's all you need to know".

What's more irrational: spending $1,000/yr in repairs or $1,000/yr in interest on top of a monthly payment.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Hell, even I think I'm crazy for everything I do for my truck. Let alone the other people who think I am. At the end of the day though, it's mine and I'll do whatever I want with it.

Just FYI: I bought it for $1k, put over $1k into, then it got wrecked (Check signature), then put about another $1k into it. It might be stupid. I love the truck though.

Lets see here:

Tires, tune ups, exhaust, intake, Fuel pump, several other random sensors and vacuum stuff, Almost full brake job, LED lights, stereo and speakers, repaired the 4x4 system (wow), a couple odds and ends from the junk yard (About to go back for the rear window regulators and motors from a second gen to swap into mine)
And much more to come!

Just the experience and how much I've learned from this thing, makes it worth it to me. All of the above was all done by me, with a lot of help from this forum as well, thanks guys! I started out as a complete noob when I bought this, and now I even work on family/friends cars and they trust my work.

It's your truck man! Do what makes YOU happy!

The expense I've had to keep it running has not been that costly. Overall its been a very dependable truck for me. My X just keeps running I've had my 91 since 96 and there's are not that many still driving on the road which make them more unique to me every year.

One of these days, I'll get around to paying $20 and becomming Elite. I will post pics then. I got mine for free, it was dad's. I'm $3,509.85 into mine. That includes the head gasket and maintenance, repairs, stereo, and seats (seats were only $25 a piece). I did all the work myself, except for the head gasket, because I didn't have the time or a place to do it myself. It would have taken me forever. I've never done it, and I don't doubt my ability, but it wasn't the right time to try.

I think it's perfectly fine to put more money into a vehicle than it's worth. That's actually the whole point. If a vehicle isn't worth much it's because something's wrong with it. If you're fixing it up and making it better then it's worth more AND you get to use it. If you can learn while doing repairs, even better.

Worth has many different meanings.

Also something to think about, especially in my case, I've come so far with the Explorer that if I give up now, my efforts and money are wasted. I've put more money into it than it's worth but I've learned so much along the way and I get to drive it. If I quit working on it now, the few issues it has will get worse and I won't have the longevity I've been working towards.

We live in a society that tells you that 75,000 miles is high mileage. That a car older than 5 years is old. BULLSHIT! 90's Toyotas and Fords are kickass in terms of reliability. Part of it I think is minimal and simplistic electronic systems that replaced mechanical systems that took a lot of knowledge to fix properly. Personally, I think the Explorer has just the right amount of computerization.

Non-"car" people just don't get it.

I just totaled up all my receipts, every last detail, maintenance, tires, extras, yata yata.

$8,000 I'm into my ex! which includes the $1,500 purchase price.

So let's break that down.

Over four years and 50.000 miles.

That's $2,000 per year. So $165 per month.

If that money was all going to repairs it would be a bit scary.

But when I bought it I dumped another $1,500 into it right away. You know, steering everything, brakes everything, drive shafts, bearings, engine control sensors, water pump, all the things I do to every used car I purchase.

At that point I had a reliable $3,000 truck.

It has been just oil changes since.

All the rest of the money is for the goodies. Lockers, lift, tires & wheels, etc.

"Car Guys" get it!

Their jealous of your ability to do your own work on the cheap.

I HAVE NO DEBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND MINE KEEPS GETTING NEWER!

IMG_20150215_143714_zpsp9y0bxbl.jpg

To hell with what others think!!! like murkinstock said at the end of the day its yours. i catch crap form the guys at the shop on a weekly basis for what i drive and the time and money i invest in to it.I bought my barn find for $1000, droped another $1000 in to tune up stuff, NEW starting and charging system, NEW ignition system, then another $800 for a rust bucket for the trans swap, all in the 18 months i have owned it, key word "OWN"!! i dont have to worry about making payments, and since i have gotten to know my truck, little can go wrong that i cant fix on the side of the road with a few tools. How many other 30 something year olds in this world can say that?

I'm the second owner of my truck. My good friend bought it brand new and he gave it to me for free couple of years ago. I met him when the truck was six months old and back in 94, black with ruby red interior explorer 4x4 was my first brand new car so this truck has a lot of sentimental value for both of us.

Anywho...since I got this truck I put in tons of money in to it and imo it's well worth it. It rattles like a coffee can full of coins every time I hit a bump or a pothole but it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
I'm currently leasing 2014 Audi a4 Quattro, 2014 Mercedes C250 coupe with full AMG package and 2014 Ford Flex for the wife as a family car and I drive my explorer more than the other cars. Lol.
My Audi.
DAAF345E-DCF7-4672-AEE4-50FB1F56AFA1_zpsiowhsghv.jpg

Benz.
6E399B5A-9079-4BDF-AA5A-91022EF23100_zpswdi3vbxg.jpg

Flex

E3842A39-B4AC-4B91-BE7A-DC3DF1CB9D50_zpsmxn87tyv.jpg

And just put on some black rims on the old girl. Don't do any off-roading so no need to put bigger tires or the lift kit. Stock is just fine. :)

To each his own.
I personally don't want to work on my daily driver and I have the luxury of being able to afford it. I went out and leased a 2015 F150 Lariat. I still have my toys though (89 Supercoupe, 94 Cobra, 95 Explorer getting a Cummins 4BT, 94 Ex Limited on 35s). Yes I may have a payment, but the way I see it... every minute not spent working on my DD is time I can spend playing with my daughter, riding my quad, working on my house, working on my toys, etc. That's worth ever penny of that $368 a month payment to me.
You can always make more money... You will never make more time.

I've got a lot of projects lined up for my cars. I have an '88 Oldsmobile Toronado (my first car). On that, I'm doing some engine work and bringing her back to good running condition. It will be my DD. After the engine, the ABS pump and front struts.

The Explorer has sentimental value as well. I put a lot into it so far. Why turn back now? That'd be wasteful. It was my dad's before he passed. Not in awful shape. Just a bit of rust and maintenance (he was very ill the past few years, couldn't get it done). I'm down to just a few things on it. Little stuff for appearances.

I've had newer cars, but right now, not having a car note is good. I enjoy working on my vehicles, it's fullfilling. when a project ends well and looks or runs great. Way cheaper than a shop doing it, and I often learn something.

Back