How many miles has your Timing Chain Rattled | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles has your Timing Chain Rattled

Pulled the engine on my 4.0L 2004 EB w/120K yesterday. I opened it up today, found rear cassette broke into 4 pieces. Balance shaft tensioner broke in half, not worn down. Left cassette was in good condition and primary tensioner was in very good condition. I am doing a full kit plus head gaskets, plus water pump, plus harmonic balancer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pulled the engine on my 4.0L 2004 EB w/120K yesterday. I opened it up today, found rear cassette broke into 4 pieces. Balance shaft tensioner broke in half, not worn down. Left cassette was in good condition and primary tensioner was in very good condition. I am doing a full kit plus head gaskets, plus water pump, plus harmonic balancer.

You don't have to do the head gaskets unless you "want to". They are MLS gaskets and are very sturdy and pretty much do not fail. Unless you have overheated your truck I wouldn't waste the time and machine shop money.

Already pulled the heads. Could not get the left Cassette out and do not want to drive the new one back in. This way I can install the cassette before I put the head back or file the head to get clearance to allow the cassette to just slide in. I already planed on changing the head gaskets, good thing I did. The left was not looking good at all. I just do not want to dig back in the engine 30-40K down the road. This is my last engine pull. I just can do this kind of work anymore. My head said I could do it, my body says different.

Ok, the rattle is semi intermittant

Well.. After i removed my floor mat, and we figured out that the mat was causing gas pedal issues, i noticed the rattle is more intermittant and def. dies off after 3200 rpms.. SO between 2400 to 3200 it rattles and and rattles a little at idle..

Drove it 300 miles today and ran like a scalded naked fat lady

We usually only got the OHV in the manuals.

It's pretty easy to check, the SOHC has a big, plastic engine cover on it with SOHC on it.

You're right, the OHV doesn't have the timing chain problems but I think the '99 SOHC had the better steel backed guides so keeping up with tensioner maintenance will keep it going.

Ha ha, thanks mate and you're right, if I had only opened my eyes and saw the big plastic cover with SOHC on it like I just did after reading your reply, I wouldn't have made such an error.

Hopefully mine has the 1999 engine (the build date was October 1998) so hopefully I've got the later guides. Now I need to go read up on tensioner maintenance.......... Cheers, Terry.:)

Ha ha, thanks mate and you're right, if I had only opened my eyes and saw the big plastic cover with SOHC on it like I just did after reading your reply, I wouldn't have made such an error.

Hopefully mine has the 1999 engine (the build date was October 1998) so hopefully I've got the later guides. Now I need to go read up on tensioner maintenance.......... Cheers, Terry.:)

I don't think there is an official tensioner maintenance schedule, just something some of the guys here came up with.

Back