Curb rash on 20" polished wheel. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Curb rash on 20" polished wheel.

I bet you could sand those out with a dremel and maybe even apply some clearcoat... it might not look exactly the same but would look better than that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any updates on repairs.

Yep did somewhat the same to my polished 20s
4 days after purchasing her new.

Bank drive through, rubbered 2 of the "spokes" on a bout an inch the other about 2 inches.

20" painted aluminum wheel damage

It appears something hit my 20" painted aluminum wheel and chipped the clearcoat and silver paint off, all the way down to the bare aluminum. It is about a 1/2" circle. I see there are kits available that are supposed to be able to re-paint and clearcoat the damaged areas. Anybody ever try to repair similar damage themselves, and if so, how did it turn out? Would this be better left to a professional?

i just had a similar issue. my girl was driving my car and ran over a curb at a drive through. i ordered some 3M wheel repair from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. If it works I'll post the link.

frustrating, but only a matter of time. My CPO had some very minor "rash" but I do plan on off-road use so I wasn't overly concerned. Normally I can't stand "rash" either.

Wheel Rash

Folks, someone who I let drive my car ran it over a curb a few days ago and now I have a pretty bad scratch on my front right rim. I was about to try and rim repair kit on it until I noticed it said not to use it on clear coated rims. I've gotten some conflicting reports reading the forum. Can someone conclusively tell me if the 20" polished aluminum wheels are clear coated or not? And if they are, what is a good way for me to repair them?

Thanks!

Yes clear coated.
Repair unknown for me but mine are not scatched.

I recently bought OEM touch up paint for the bottom of the doors.
I got the model specific kit, so its
-primer for my car color
-my car color
-clear coat

I mentioned clear coat repair while at a body shop and they said "sure you can use the clear coat for the wheels, they use the same clear coat on the car and wheels. But they cant fix bad scratches, they blast and redo the entire wheel".
No idea if thats accurate.
But the rim in that spot is not scratched.

The little spot in the back and on the next spoke,
these areas of clear coat are worn away by ? salts, gunk from road, rock chips etc.
I will clean and apply clear coat to these areas with a modeling brush and try to make it as smooth as possible.
if temps are ok - use and store OEM touch up paints when its 50* and up.
Not sure yet what clear coat to use.

shaton1_zps0barelnk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

shaton3_zpsc3kpzpql.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

shaton2_zps5568mpif.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They could make rubber curbs, but wouldn't it be smarter to put rubber around the tire at the rim? Well, yes it would, and some tires have exactly that, and it would have prevented the type of rim damage (light scrapes) shown in the photos above in post #20 .

I know Michelin's have it, several years ago I had a set, seen in the link below. I'm surprised they are not on all tires by now, they are logical and effective. I'm also surprised to see it is not touted much in the sales literature, there is no mention of it in the link below, but you can see it as a ring around the sidewall right at the rim in some of the illustrations. I guess it's a somewhat esoteric feature, but it was a consideration I looked for with my last tire purchase.

Maybe others will look for it too when tire shopping.

http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selecto...pilot-sport-a-s-plus/tire-details#page_header

Luker - those look like they could be fingerprints where someone at the factory touched the raw aluminum wheel and the acid in their fingers prevented a good adhesion of the finish(?)

Luker - those look like they could be fingerprints where someone at the factory touched the raw aluminum wheel and the acid in their fingers prevented a good adhesion of the finish(?)

naw they were fine and 1 day after a rain storm i find that. wouldnt come off and cant feel it-its like part of the rim.
some amazing bird I tell ya.

lol i also remember the wheel warranty they offered me when I got the car was $605...

They could make rubber curbs, but wouldn't it be smarter to put rubber around the tire at the rim? Well, yes it would, and some tires have exactly that, and it would have prevented the type of rim damage (light scrapes) shown in the photos above in post
That picture in post 20 is why I would have opted for a 17" or 18" wheel if they offered it. Less worry about that kind of incident plus a slightly more comfortable ride. Not to mention less expensive tires.

Peter

Back