About to pull the trigger on a 91 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to pull the trigger on a 91 explorer

Explouie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
Hello everyone. I'm about to go look at an explorer tomorrow. It's a 91 4x4 auto with a few replaced parts here and there. It does have 184000 miles. They did say that the trans just started slipping from 1st to 2nd then after that it's fine. I'm wanting to buy this to tinker with and fix up to do some offroad riding. They are asking $1600 but said once I come test drive we can work out a reasonable price for both of us. Thought maybe offering $1300. What you guys think? The interior is clean also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way over priced. If the tranny is going out, you are looking at about $600 no matter how many miles are on it.

Agreed...to get your money's worth after fixing the trans, I'd give them a low-ball price around $800 and explain why...never know when a deal can be made...

If its been well cared for and the rest of the truck is in very good condition, then a grand,but i dont think much more. Good luck, Bear

Yep not worth even 1K if it need tranny work. I'd offer $500

Yep not worth even 1K if it need tranny work. I'd offer $500

I just found a nice clean 92 on craigslist for 300. just needs a head gasket. I might buy it..

Go low, you never know what will happen. When I bought my 2000 XLT in February the PO was asking $1600. It needed shocks, sway bar links and tires. I ended up driving it home for $700.

And remember, scrap is WAAAY down right now. $70 a ton last time I checked. If things go bad, you won't get much for it unless you fix it.

Gotcha thanks everyone for the advise. I've been researching and a new/rebuild trans isn't cheap. So your right I'll go check it out and low ball the offer if it's worth it.

A junkyard trans would be cheaper, but you don't really know what you'll be getting going that route...did that for my car and it turned out alright, but it'd be up to you whether you want to take that chance.

Juuuuuuuuuusst needs a head gasket.. .. .. .

:sawzall:

Take it for a test drive. Slip from 1st to 2nd? What they think is slipping could be something else. If it is just a late shift, like 3000rpm, that is more likely just a sticking governor (not a hard fix, just pull the T-case for access) or failed vacuum modulator (simple fix, $20 and 1 hour at most).

Yep, what [MENTION=81941]arco777[/MENTION] said.

On your test drive manually start out in 1st then shift up to 2nd, it should shift immediately and firm. If the rpm flares up and it gradually grabs 2nd then the repairs are going to be more extensive. i.e. rebuild.

When you shift manually from 1st to 2nd the modulator and the governor are overridden. (bypassed) but not for 3rd.

Then try 3rd, a flare here is okay, that would be the governor sticking as arco said possibly a combo deal with the modulator.

After all that run it up to 50+ mph then put it in overdrive to test that and the converter clutch.

I need to clean my governor again... sticks but only in the am when cold. To get around the sticking governor when cold, I just shift manually for the first mile or two till it warms up.

I need to clean my governor again... sticks but only in the am when cold. To get around the sticking governor when cold, I just shift manually for the first mile or two till it warms up.

FR-425, have you tried the Sonnax governor weight? I have installed it on two Explorers and been very happy with the results. 1-2 is smoother and a bit earlier with it installed, and it makes the governor more resistant to sticking.

Also, my experience seems to indicate the biggest cause of sticky governors is dirt/grit in the trans fluid. After several fluid changes and cleaning the valve body during a shift correction kit install, I think all the grit is out of my trans. I go 20k miles to a fluid/filter change with Mobil or Valvoline fluid and a Wix filter. Even in cold winter I now have consistent 1-2 shifts.

FR-425, have you tried the Sonnax governor weight? I have installed it on two Explorers and been very happy with the results. 1-2 is smoother and a bit earlier with it installed, and it makes the governor more resistant to sticking.

Also, my experience seems to indicate the biggest cause of sticky governors is dirt/grit in the trans fluid. After several fluid changes and cleaning the valve body during a shift correction kit install, I think all the grit is out of my trans. I go 20k miles to a fluid/filter change with Mobil or Valvoline fluid and a Wix filter. Even in cold winter I now have consistent 1-2 shifts.

Haven't tried it yet but have one on the shelf. Just need to put it in.

It's no worry when you know exactly what the deal is.

Thanks for the driving tips. I'm headed that way now to check it out. I got them down to $1000 already over the phone because of the tranny potential problems.

I agree. My 1-2 shift was cured with some Seafoam TransTune additive and an external spin-on filter. After that, I also dropped the pan and filled with new fluid. It's been 2,000+ miles and I haven't seen the cold 1-2 shift problem once.

In the A4LD, I wouldn't bother AT ALL with regular changing of the internal filter. Maybe change it once if you're at 100,000 miles since any maintenance on the trans but it's really not going to make much difference. The 'filter' is more of a screen just to keep big chunks out. Probably a reason for premature death in these. I'd urge everybody to, at the very least, stick a Magnefine or similar filter on the trans cooler line.

Well bad news... We pulled into our meeting place to see the explorer and I get a call. They said the explorer was stuck on the side of the road with a busted tranny lol. Drove two hours and didn't see a thing. Oh well.

Find out what they're going to do with it. If it's going to the boneyard now's the time to hit 'em real low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it! $400 lol...trannies aren't that expensive from the junkyard...few hours under the truck...pretty decent deal

Back