• Register Today It's free!

fueling up problem

BOBBY32

Reaction score
City, State
Delanson new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
hello can anyone help me with why my 2002 ford explore 4.0 not flex fuel keeps kicking off the fuel pumps at the gas station when I go to fill up ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This problem came up for me over the winter. It took forever to get any gas in the tank and it felt like there was an obstruction in the filler neck. I've seen differing opinions on the cause of this, but I decided to try something simple, as the weather was very cold and I didn't have time for a thorough investigation. I straightened out a wire clothes hanger, all except for the hook at the end. I slid it all the way in and reached what feels like a small valve. You will use almost the full length of the hanger to get to it. By gently pushing down and working it, you can make sure that it's not stuck. I did this prior to fillups over the winter and it solved the issue. If I didn't do it, I would have the "cutting off" pump issue as soon as I started. So this solved the problem. I also start off with light to moderate pressure at the pump for the first gallon or so and then increase to full pressure. I know this sounds like an odd fix, but it has worked for me. I plan to take a better look at it when the weather is warmer. BTW, I keep the straightened hanger in my vehicle!

thanks everone for the answers I will check all of them ides you guys gave me

Im having same problem. I work at a BMW dealer(tech). One of my Service advisors used to work at ford as a tech. He said its probably the EVAP canister. Ima order one and post back!

Back