5R55E Fluid Change and Filter Replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Fluid Change and Filter Replace

prayforsurf0

Reaction score
City, State
Montauk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey folks, did some light reading on here regarding transmission attention. I feel a little more apprehensive about attacking this after having read all the theories and methods of going about. Initially I had planned to drop my pan, drain fluid, replace filter and gasket, and put everything back. Now I'm discovered some warnings not to change the fluid if it hasn't been changed (it hasn't in the 80,000 miles I've owned the car). I also found other methods of changing the oil by disconnecting a cooling hose. Simpler, sure, but I was thinking to change the filter and gasket too. What do you guys think ?

Oh, the reason I want to do this is because I occasionally get some major flare going from 2nd to 3rd, and it takes a moment for the car to switch between drive, neutral, and reverse gears too. Also, sometimes I feel like I can smell a slight burning smell. I don't regularly drive on sand, but occasionally I do and I'd like to get some fresh fluid in there and a new filter as well if it doesn't mean I'll blow my tranny in my daily driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread is going to read like a poll with advice and many varied opinions. I believe two things most will agree upon regarding fluid condition is color and smell. Regardless of your fluids mileage, and providing it appears clean with no trace smell of burning, I would do a pan drop and complete fluid exchange with a new filter without using additives. My dealer did a complete full service using 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V, filter, and gasket for $199 using a BG PF5 machine that has no power and uses no force using the transmission's own pump to exchange. No chemical cleaners or additives were used during the process. Seeing that Motorcraft Mercon V sells for $7 to $8 per quart made this a no brainer to have the dealer do the service, at least for me.

The controversial question of when to change the fluid in the 5R55E automatic trans
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139159

What is a Transmission Flush? Process and Advice (Article)
http://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/what-is-a-transmission-flush/

The flare could be failed separator plate gasket. I would not expect a flush to fix that. If it weren't for the 2-3 shift flare, what Hawaii did is best.

Thanks guys. I was reading how pan drop, filter replace doesn't get all the fluid out, how much does comes out in this method ? Should I use the cooling hose method to get more of the old out and the new stuff in ?

low fluid level?

Unless your ATF fluid level is low I doubt changing the ATF will solve your upshift flare. I suggest that you check for a clogged filter, a blown valve body separator plate gasket and a broken solenoid mounting bracket: 5R55E shift saga . Good ATF is not cheap and you don't want to replace it twice.

Pan drop on a 4x4 needs 3.5 quarts, valve body drop 7+ quarts. Put a drain plug in the pan, that's what you need. Add a magnetic in-line filter too if you want.

Do it! I just did it to my 5r55e took about 1 hour bye my self. I hard hard shift into 5th and 3rd flare . all gone.

Take a couple bolts out so most of the fluid drains, and have a jackstand under the pan and your loosening the last but , and try to pour the rest into the catch pan,

Filter & Gasket cost me 17$ and the Mercon V from Ford was 5$ a Litre took 3.9L to fill. Old fluid filled a 3.79l Windshield bottle and smelt old and sweet almost and was black.

I was scared to tackle it but best 45$ spent shifts smooth like a baby!

Also don't forget to clean the Pan & magnet with brake cleaner !

Super easy good luck

- CC

I plan to drop the pan 4 times. Will then replace filter right before the last reassemble with new gasket. By then I should have taken out most of the old stuff. There has to be some gear shifting with each fill back to get the old fluid out into the pan.

I will admit going the cooling tube way is TEMPTING lol.

Will know by saturday afternoon. Once I decide on which brand fluid to use.

Take a couple bolts out so most of the fluid drains, and have a jackstand under the pan and your loosening the last but , and try to pour the rest into the catch pan,

Also like to add if you have 4WD, you need to remove the front driveshaft and swing out of the way to have clearance for the pan to come out.
From memory, I think the driveshaft is held in by T30 or T27 torx bolts.

Why not buy Motocraft Mercon V????

Also like to add if you have 4WD, you need to remove the front driveshaft and swing out of the way to have clearance for the pan to come out.
From memory, I think the driveshaft is held in by T30 or T27 torx bolts.
My 03 sport 4x4 had no obstruction in the way simple drop. And did it in -25 weather froze my fingers off,
I also stuck a extra magnet on the opposite side of the original one .

Do it! I just did it to my 5r55e took about 1 hour bye my self. I hard hard shift into 5th and 3rd flare . all gone.

Filter & Gasket cost me 17$ and the Mercon V from Ford was 5$ a Litre took 3.9L to fill. Old fluid filled a 3.79l Windshield bottle and smelt old and sweet almost and was black.

I was scared to tackle it but best 45$ spent shifts smooth like a baby!

Also don't forget to clean the Pan & magnet with brake cleaner !

Super easy good luck

- CC

Thanks ! I have everything I need, I bought Mercon V at Advance Auto and it's their brand Mercon V. Any opinions on that ? I think I'm going to start with pan drop, filter and gasket swap. Thanks for the reminder to clean the pan out ! Anybody have any issues with their catalytic converter being in the way of the pan drop ? I can't tell for sure, but it looks that it may be in the way. Someone here mentioned moving the drive shaft out of the way on a 4x4 (which I have), but I didn't notice it being in the way. I'll have to get under there and look again.

According to Haynes manual there is a clip you will have to remove.

Thanks ! I have everything I need, I bought Mercon V at Advance Auto and it's their brand Mercon V. Any opinions on that ? I think I'm going to start with pan drop, filter and gasket swap. Thanks for the reminder to clean the pan out ! Anybody have any issues with their catalytic converter being in the way of the pan drop ? I can't tell for sure, but it looks that it may be in the way. Someone here mentioned moving the drive shaft out of the way on a 4x4 (which I have), but I didn't notice it being in the way. I'll have to get under there and look again.

I think its either or, remove the cats or the driveshaft, and for me it was a heck of a lot easier to move the driveshaft out of the way.
Note that you do not have to remove it completely. Just unbolt the front bolts and swing out of the way and holding onto something with a piece of wire.

I think its either or, remove the cats or the driveshaft, and for me it was a heck of a lot easier to move the driveshaft out of the way.
Note that you do not have to remove it completely. Just unbolt the front bolts and swing out of the way and holding onto something with a piece of wire.

Oh gotcha. Anyway, I'm putting this project off a couple of days because I ordered a new upper and lower gasket for the seperator plate since a few people here believe a blown gasket to be the cause of my shifting problems. Might as well change them anyway while I'm digging around in the tranny. Thanks for everyone's help here. Cheers mates

Just work around the cats, removing the heat shield that clips to the pan. Cover the cat(s) with aluminum foil to keep the ATF from getting on them. I have used plenty of AAP MercV, never any trouble, and I am thankful they carry it. There is a popular parts houses in my area that do not, just multi-vehicle.

Back