2002 Explorer Blower Motor Questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Blower Motor Questions?

Everdream

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
2002 Explorer limited, 4.0L Sohc auto.
Truck has the digital Thermostat control.

So here is my dilemma, and my question.

Driving home other day interior started to fill with smoke out of the vents, I know that it was from the vents because when I hit the button to change it the smoke moved...lol.

So anyways, thought the fan was toast, i drove home with the thing smoking......ordered a new blower motor and installed it, and now nothing happens when I turn up the fan in the truck? anything else the fan going out could have damaged when it burned up? the selector on the front lights up and shows the fans etc, just no power seems to make it down there.

the rear blower is working (separate motor). What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess i should note that the bearing on the fan was really noisy already and the motor was super super hot when i got home and it smells like fried electronics. I just got a brand new motor however and once I plugged it in, turning the fan up and down still does nothing. The panel is lit up, just doesn't work. I've read about the resister, I just remember reading the digital one doesn't have it?

you might have burnt out the fan controller inside the DATC module. Should have shut the fan off when it started smoking...

I did turn the fan off when it started smoking, and drove home. I saw smoke, hit the buttons, and then turned it off.

What I have done so far:

Check fuse 7 - Good
Check fuse 30 - Good
Check under hood relay (Swapped with starter relay) - Good
Check for +v at the fan to verify its working - No +V
Check motor with +V battery - Working

Can This cause the blower to not work "AT ALL", I can't figure out how to unplug the POS and I unscrewed the bottom screw and still can't get it out of the slot. I'd like to run a test with it in the truck to see if its my culprit, anyone know how to do so? appears to be the blower motor resister/speed controller that people mention often.
11154601_10153202568369660_7627507785381674960_o.jpg

I will post some good info when I get home tonight!!

Thank you, everything I find on this thing is cryptic, I'm taking a shot in the dark. My read is that when this goes out the fan gets stuck on high, but mine does nothing at all.I know the old fan is bad, but I have no idea why once replaced I get no power to the unit, so I'm wondering if I need to get a new DTAC, This resistor....or what else can go back and remove power from the fan. the actual CONTROLS seem to be working visually, IE they do everything else (blend doors move etc). So I'm a little lost.

Back