Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I appreciate the response thank you. I won't be starting the install till at least this Tuesday so pics will be helpful. I'm not sure about the tow hook, looks like it has the muffler mount integrated in to in.

I'll try to get you some pics when I get home tomorrow evening. The tow hook must be removed to install the hitch but the hitch has integrated exhaust hangers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll try to get you some pics when I get home tomorrow evening. The tow hook must be removed to install the hitch but the hitch has integrated exhaust hangers.

Cool! Mine did not come with the tow hook I'm adding it so I guess it goes on after the hitch. Anyways looking forward to the pics. I will be doing quite a few mods to it. I was wanting the sport but they wanted full price and when I test drove it the fuel guage stopped responding then the power died lol. For my inconvenience I got a great price on the limited.

If you are talking about this item, it is really not a tow hook. It was used in transport to help secure the vehicle.

Peter

Attachments

• P1300173_1.JPG
    P1300173_1.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 727

If you are talking about this item, it is really not a tow hook. It was used in transport to help secure the vehicle.

Peter

Yes exactly the one. All factory tow packages have that per the parts schematic, all others are not equipped with it per the diagrams I got to see. I just sat down with my parts guy at ford he put the whole package together for me comparing my vin number to what would be with another limited with tow package. Also his snap on program was helpful and it showed every bolt and part as required. I was told I didn't need it but part of the complete package and it was cheap so it's fine. I could find a use for it though especially if I were to get stuck or something.

That was a picture from my 2011 Limited. It did not have the tow package.
There are several posts that also mentioned that it is only there to allow the vehicle to be 'tied' down during transportation. Those ordered with the tow package were said not to have that piece as part of the tow package itself was used as a 'tie down'.

There is a whole thread on it; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383390&highlight=ugly

Peter

That was a picture from my 2011 Limited. It did not have the tow package.
There are several posts that also mentioned that it is only there to allow the vehicle to be 'tied' down during transportation. Those ordered with the tow package were said not to have that piece as part of the tow package itself was used as a 'tie down'.

There is a whole thread on it; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383390&highlight=ugly

Peter

Interesting, the info is always very helpful

hey guys, my axle code is 3j....what axle ratio is that?

I added the OEM towing harness to mine and it was no big deal. Once you get the bumper off you will quickly see how the new harness needs to be run. just make sure you have enough slack in the trailer plugs to locate them in the hitch mounts once you get the bumper back on. Unfortunately I'm not at home this weekend or I could take you some pictures.

Do you have a part number for the tow package wiring harness? Im guessing it came with the 4 and 7 pin plugs, etc? I have added the OEM hitch and tow button to my Sport, but would like to finish it off with the wiring harness. Have not been able to find the part number for this...

06bluez, keep in mind that the 2010 Sport is nothing like the 5th generation Sport. Perhaps the wiring harnesses are the same, or maybe they aren't.

Peter

Do you have a part number for the tow package wiring harness? Im guessing it came with the 4 and 7 pin plugs, etc? I have added the OEM hitch and tow button to my Sport, but would like to finish it off with the wiring harness. Have not been able to find the part number for this...

My harness I bet is different from what you need but I posted it.
EB5Z-15K868-LA

06bluez, keep in mind that the 2010 Sport is nothing like the 5th generation Sport. Perhaps the wiring harnesses are the same, or maybe they aren't.

Peter

We're a two explorer family.. My 2010 sport trac adrenalin, and my wifes 2014 sport which is the vehicle in question.

Thanks for the part number viperstance must have missed it if you posted it earlier.

The part number for the harness is DB5Z15K868L and is for an explorer with blind spot monitor and keyless entry.

When you drilled out the slots in the bumper for the cover piece, did you take out all the material in the slot or very little? The piece that snaps in to the bumper has very small tabs is why I'm asking.

When you drilled out the slots in the bumper for the cover piece, did you take out all the material in the slot or very little? The piece that snaps in to the bumper has very small tabs is why I'm asking.

Nevermind figured it all out. Complete job took me about 3 hours. :thumbsup:

OEM 7-pin connector

Has anyone found/used the OEM 7-pin connector instead? I'm trying to find a part number with zero luck.

Has anyone found/used the OEM 7-pin connector instead? I'm trying to find a part number with zero luck.

It also depends if your car has only back up sensors or does it have self park sensors also??

It also depends if your car has only back up sensors or does it have self park sensors also??
The Sport doesn't have the Active Park Assist feature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought some did?
I don't know what car he drives, is it a sport?
That is what it says in the margin (profile) of his post.

Peter

Back