• Register Today It's free!

EDITED: goodbye to Ford...

k2sb2003

Reaction score
City, State
North Aurora, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport V8 4X4
Well I have been an absolute Ford Explorer nut since I was five and they introduced them... I can remember the Dr Pepper boxes with the Explorer Eddie Bauer that you could win, I remember the first one I ever sat in, drove in and the day my parents brought one home. I learned to drive in them, both on road and off, and experienced the safety first hand... I've personally owned 5 different models and loved each, but like many things, they have evolved into something that it shouldn't be... So with some doubt and sorrow I moved on... Like a dumb ass, I purchased a low mileage land rover LR3 HSE. I look forward to many new adventures to the repair shop and beyond but in the mean time I'm excited!!!

PS - Looked at the Toyota and HATED it, who buys the 4Runner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have tried and hated the Toyota too (very cramped inside for one thing), but I notice it is still very popular with the female drivers.

The Rover people on Expo actually say the LR3/LR4 is among the most reliable of all the Rovers (not that that says a whole lot, but it's something). Hopefully it'll work out for you though.

I got a Subaru Forester in late November, and in many ways I still miss my Sport Trac. My ST was 2wd though, which wouldn't have worked with my current living area and job (To be honest though, the tail-happiness of my ST is probably the thing I miss most).

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Here is a bad pic of her, but as soon as i get some better ones, I will post more.

WP_20150328_001.jpg

I have to say this though, it seems as if this is the Explorer that should have been. Very much reminds me in alot of ways.

it seems as if this is the Explorer that should have been

The 5th gen explorer makes me sad. The Ford Everest is the explorer that should have been. Too bad we can't get em here.

Either way that is a nice lookin vehicle, I hope it treats you well.

Man, just the other day I was watching the Land Rover sand dune video on YouTube, a truck like yours dude was absolutely flogging it, did very well!

Here are some updated pictures... I don't live near alot of off roading spots, so I "urban off road" to get my temporary fix.

Super Extended Mode(special air suspension mode to help you get extra clearance)
IMAG00050.jpg

Weak Flex on Local Rocks.
IMAG00047.jpg

My explorer's trans went out again. I lost track of how many it's been through. So I too bought a Land Rover. A 98 discovery. I'm a service advisor at a ford dealer and I gotta say it's hard putting down one of the most reliable vehicles ford has made. But cancer took over the body. So far I really like this discovery, the visability out of this thing is amazing. And the two extra cylinders in this 4.0 are definately noticeable.

image.jpg1.jpg

Fantastic Disco I... Always loved the LSE version and of course the British Green. Good luck and may you get plenty of time off road!!

Thanks k2sb, I must have a thing for green 4.0's lol. It needs tires (16" rims, ex's 31's won't fit) but still is a beast off-road. Plus it fits the wife and all three kids

K2sb, I'm a little ways north of ya in Madison. Do you know of anywhere to go wheeling?

well there is a few places by me, first is Badlands, IN and then The Insane Cliffs in Marsalles, IL. Now, Land Rover dealerships host a "Wheels" event coming up in Prairie Point, WI. I think its on June 14th. Check with your local dealer to verify this. Outside of that, I hear there is quite a bit by you.

I usually head up north near rhinelander, wi. Lots of places in the Nicolet forest as long as you're respectful

yeah I have heard of that place, its about 5 hours from my house. I am actually going to do a bit of off roading next month. Driving form Chicago to Los Angeles then up to tahoe and back... Lots of places to choose so little time.

Back