Never have to change the transmission oil? Fact or fiction??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never have to change the transmission oil? Fact or fiction???

My local Ford dealership ask for $240+tax for replace the trans filter and refill the fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My local Ford dealership ask for $240+tax for replace the trans filter and refill the fluid.

Better ask for a kiss after they screw ya. I'm in Canada and my local shop wanted 160 for the job.

Just had a flush done with a ecu reflash on my 06 xlt v6 4x4 with not good results. Ford recommends for you to drop the pan replace the filter and fill it back up at 150k. No many dealers will tell you that. I had mine flushed and ecu reflashed due to a recommendation by them for some shifting problems I was having. Now I have more problems than I had before.

That's what my dealership told me would happen. It blows all the crap back into the solenoids and screws everything up when you have a flush. Even using the fluid other than Mercon V in these transmissions can screw up the solenoid block they are so sensitive.

The correct method of servicing a transmission is probably the single most debated subject on this forum. Regardless, most agree that a pan drop and the filter should always be replaced, and service should not be done on a high mileage transmission with burnt fluid. Many "flush" machines have no power and use the vehicles own transmission oil pump to "exchange" the fluid. For maintenance reasons I chose to have my 5R55E serviced at 66K by my local dealer. They used
a BG PF5 machine, 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V, MC filter, and gasket for $199. That's about $50 more than my cost of materials alone. No brainer and mess for me. Two of many opposing internet threads on this subject linked below.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/168

Besides mileage at what interval of time should a transmission be flushed?

Is there a benefit of just dropping the pan and changing that portion of fluid?

I had mine done at a dealer also. Not sure what to do now. I have a shutter between 1-2. Called the dealer and they want to charge me more for more diag. I think I am going to ride it out until the trans blows up and then get a new trans.

Had to get my transmission rebuilt at 90,000 MI due to a piston wallowing out. Asked the Ford dealer about the sealed transmission being good for 100,000 mi. He told me don't go by the owners manual and that it should be changed every 30,000 mi. Not sure about the 2 piece spark plugs mine had 1 piece when I bought it. but I did have one of the plugs wallow out of the head and shoot out of the engine. Re-threaded myself and has been fine ever since. Bought it as a lease trade in with 36,000 mi have 180,000 on it now running fine. Burning just a hair of oil but haven't done anything to the motor except oil changes.

i have a 2010 ST V8 with a 6r60. My trans guy said that model (6r60) is more like the old transmissions, not like the sealed 02-05's. Its easy to drop the pan change the filter, and add 'expensive' trans fluid.

I did mine at 50k. It sprung a little leak where the wiring harness goes into the trans, some little o-rings needed to be replace. Point is i re-did the trans service 25k later. It really smooth now.

Spark plug changing in 02 explorer

HI
My husband just put in new spark plugs and Oxegen sensors on my explorer. He has never had problems with breaking etc. He has done this many times since I have had the vehicle for over 6 years.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT, has been a great vehicle! 163k miles presently. Yes it has a few weird things happen but the engine and comfort have been awesome.

My tranny has a slight issue sometimes. Going up hill it wont go into 3rd gear so I back off the gas a bit, it shifts, then I gently give the gas. It also shudders sifting into 2nd and 3rd, but it is occasionally and I drive it like a calm grandma. If my husband or daughter drive my car (very rare) , it shifts rough for a few days, then back to normal.

My husband is not a mechanic, but has learned to do a lot of car repairs because of the cost of taking to mechanic!

So dont be scared of changing the plugs, just be careful and not be rough.

Back