Those rusty rockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Those rusty rockers

Well, i bought two dog legs but after i removed the running boards i see that the rust goes all the way to the front doors. Lol. So i just orderd full rockers.
I will post some progress pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and it starts
20150412_091548.jpg

20150412_100436.jpg

Bleck !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, you are not making me excited about doing mine soon, looking to do one side per weekend. We'll see though. Good luck man.

Replaced about 36" of inner rocker panel, fitted dog leg, and made patch panel for inner lower fender.

20150412_140321.jpg

Keep us (me) updated and if you don't mind more photos. You don't have any of how far up the back you had to cut or what it looked like before cutting with door open?

I'm definately not a body man and I've never welded in my life (nor watched anyone weld) and unfortunately if I want more years on my truck, I better get learning. I'm not 100 on the terms but think I have an idea- obviously the rockers are the outside (below the door, with the holes for trim attachment) the inner rocker is the metal right behind the outer (I'm guessing is for support?) and the inner lower rocker-is this the lip at the very bottom that has holes for attaching the trim also? If I were not to attach the trim after, is there any importance to this lip that drops about an 1"or 2 below the bottom of the outer rocker? Or is this what's needed to weld the inner rocker and outer at the bottom. I think I just answered my question on its importance in the last sentence.

Are you completely cutting all rust or also using rust converter of some kind.

I'm in the un lucky boat that rockers and such don't seem to really available-sport trac. So I'm thinking my only option would be to form with sheets. If that's what will be needed, open to suggestions and thinking the shape will not match original but as long as both sides look the same and clean I don't care. The hardest for me I think is figuring out what to do on the dog legs

Keep us (me) updated and if you don't mind more photos. You don't have any of how far up the back you had to cut or what it looked like before cutting with door open?

I'm definately not a body man and I've never welded in my life (nor watched anyone weld) and unfortunately if I want more years on my truck, I better get learning. I'm not 100 on the terms but think I have an idea- obviously the rockers are the outside (below the door, with the holes for trim attachment) the inner rocker is the metal right behind the outer (I'm guessing is for support?) and the inner lower rocker-is this the lip at the very bottom that has holes for attaching the trim also? If I were not to attach the trim after, is there any importance to this lip that drops about an 1"or 2 below the bottom of the outer rocker? Or is this what's needed to weld the inner rocker and outer at the bottom. I think I just answered my question on its importance in the last sentence.

Are you completely cutting all rust or also using rust converter of some kind.

I'm in the un lucky boat that rockers and such don't seem to really available-sport trac. So I'm thinking my only option would be to form with sheets. If that's what will be needed, open to suggestions and thinking the shape will not match original but as long as both sides look the same and clean I don't care. The hardest for me I think is figuring out what to do on the dog legs
Yes i did cut all rust out, but only the rust, i always try to leave as much good original metal if possible. I used a combination of welding and 3m panel adhesive. I am replacing the whole outer rockersimply because I am not putting the running boards back on and didnt want to contend with filling all the holes.
20150412_161315.jpg

20150412_140337.jpg

20150412_132237.jpg

I will assume you are using weld thru primer , right ?

I will assume you are using weld thru primer , right ?

Yes 3m weld through, im welding through the back side to keep the pinch weld clean looking. Im not doing a restoration just trying to get a few more years out of it. 200,000 plus miles on her.

Back