throttle problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

throttle problem

paul h

Reaction score
Hi all.. I have an 2012 Explorer limited. While driving yesterday all of a sudden the spedd dropped and max throttle was 1000 RPM allowing onlu 2 miles per hour. It starts and runs although a little ruff but you can push the throttle to the florr and only get 1000 RPM max. I will have it towed to Ford. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. thanks Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.. I have an 2012 Explorer limited. While driving yesterday all of a sudden the spedd dropped and max throttle was 1000 RPM allowing onlu 2 miles per hour. It starts and runs although a little ruff but you can push the throttle to the florr and only get 1000 RPM max. I will have it towed to Ford. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. thanks Paul
Welcome tp the Forum paul h. :wavey:
I have not read anything about this particular problem before on this Forum. It almost sounds like you have some kind of fuel blockage.

Peter

Maybe in manual mode you increased RPM in low gear and electronically lock to prevent engine damage

Had similar problem with 2012 limited. Seemed stuck in first or second gear, 4500 rpm 25 mph. I took it to dealer and they could not reproduce or find any problem, said I must have had in manual mode. I know this to be wrong as I put in park and reverse and backed up then back then back to drive and still there. Even switched engine off and cranked, still there. After finally getting home and letting it sit for while problem went away, but dealer could not find problem, said it mustr be something I had done. Bulls***.

2012 Ford Explorer throttle

Hi all... Just an update. I had the vehicle towed to Ford today. They called after inspection and explained my main computer went out. Ordered a new one and
will install it tomorrow. They said this is not a known issue and is the first one they have done. Should pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I will keep you posted.

thanks Paul

I have had the same problem with my 2010 EB. When this happens it goes into creeper mode, that's what they call it according to ford. Mine has the RSC system alarm goes off and a wrench light comes on. Dealer keeps replacing the throttle body. I picked it up again the other day and just the wrench light came on, now they tell me it's a harness issue and ordered one. I glad I bought the bumper to bumper protection, the dealer says so far they have invested approximately 10k between tows and man hours. I would have them see if it throws a code for the throttle body.

This is more than likely a throttle body failure, and the only fix is to replace the TB. I have a 2011 Edge with the 3.5L V6, and had the same thing happen to it. It's a prominent problem in the Edge, and other Ford vehicles that share the same TB. See this discussion thread: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12726-throttle-body-service-or-failure/. It's very difficult for the techs to troubleshoot, because when it happens to you on the road, it throws a CEL and codes, but as soon as you turn the vehicle on/off, everything resets itself to normal and the codes are lost. So unless you leave everything as is when it happens and have the truck towed to the dealer, they'll never see the CEL codes. So talk to your service adviser and have them check into TSB's for throttle body failure/replacement, because I believe there are some TSB's out there for this fault. Unfortunately, if your 3/36 B2B warranty is expired, the repairs are on you, because the TB isn't covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's very easy to replace. First, check your TB to see if you have the following part number: T4Z9E926-A. This is the defective TB. Ford has issued a replacement for it with part number T4Z9E926-B. I bought a brand new one on eBay for about $120 and replaced it myself. I've heard folks say that it's cost them anywhere from $300-$600 to have it replaced at the dealer, so I'm glad I was able to save myself a ton of money on this repair. I've got almost 20,000 miles on the new TB on the Edge, and the problem hasn't returned; so I'm confident that this fixed the problem.

I would argue this is an emmissions item. Don't they have longer warranties ?

This is more than likely a throttle body failure, and the only fix is to replace the TB. I have a 2011 Edge with the 3.5L V6, and had the same thing happen to it. It's a prominent problem in the Edge, and other Ford vehicles that share the same TB. See this discussion thread: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12726-throttle-body-service-or-failure/. It's very difficult for the techs to troubleshoot, because when it happens to you on the road, it throws a CEL and codes, but as soon as you turn the vehicle on/off, everything resets itself to normal and the codes are lost. So unless you leave everything as is when it happens and have the truck towed to the dealer, they'll never see the CEL codes. So talk to your service adviser and have them check into TSB's for throttle body failure/replacement, because I believe there are some TSB's out there for this fault. Unfortunately, if your 3/36 B2B warranty is expired, the repairs are on you, because the TB isn't covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's very easy to replace. First, check your TB to see if you have the following part number: T4Z9E926-A. This is the defective TB. Ford has issued a replacement for it with part number T4Z9E926-B. I bought a brand new one on eBay for about $120 and replaced it myself. I've heard folks say that it's cost them anywhere from $300-$600 to have it replaced at the dealer, so I'm glad I was able to save myself a ton of money on this repair. I've got almost 20,000 miles on the new TB on the Edge, and the problem hasn't returned; so I'm confident that this fixed the problem.

I would argue this is an emmissions item. Don't they have longer warranties ?

Good luck with that. Unless the part is specifically listed in the warranty fine print, Ford's not likely to cover it.

In my opinion (which I've also expressed on this matter on the Edge forum), this is a major safety issue, worthy of a recall. I can tell you from personal experience that when it occurred in my Edge, I was traveling on a freeway in Chattanooga at highway speed. Having the vehicle suddenly slow to a crawl on the multi-lane freeway while traffic zoomed by me was very unnerving. I'm surprised I didn't get in an accident. But I guess since there haven't been a "significant" number of injuries or worse yet, fatalities related to this problem, the FoMoCo lawyers and bean counters haven't yet deemed cost-effective to issue a recall. It's sad that that's what it'll probably take, but it is what it is...

Welcome tp the Forum paul h. :wavey:
I have not read anything about this particular problem before on this Forum. It almost sounds like you have some kind of fuel blockage.

Peter

If I remember correctly, here's the problem with the original, or "A" part number of TB:

• The bore had a lip that would gather oil from the crankcase and collect gunk, making a kind of glue holding the plate.
  • The motor that moved the plate was weak.

Both of these factors cause the TB plate to not move correctly, throwing off the fuel/air ratio, which throws a CEL code, and slams the engine down into "limp" mode.

I spoke to Ford on the part number for the throttle body(A or B). They said they found no listing for the B series throttle. Any way,, they said they found a wiring harness issue and replaced it. I told the tech to drive it home and run it to test it out. Well sure enough the system failed and he had to have road side service tow him in. So they tell me they are back to square one on trying to fix the problem. Anyone have any idea's what could be causing the RSC system to fail? Thanks

I spoke to Ford on the part number for the throttle body(A or B). They said they found no listing for the B series throttle. Any way,, they said they found a wiring harness issue and replaced it. I told the tech to drive it home and run it to test it out. Well sure enough the system failed and he had to have road side service tow him in. So they tell me they are back to square one on trying to fix the problem. Anyone have any idea's what could be causing the RSC system to fail? Thanks
Have you tried posting in the Stock 2006 - 2010 Explorer Forum? The 5th generation is a different breed of Explorer although I don't know if that also applies to the engine systems. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Peter

No but i will Thanks

Back