In the market for 4th Gen, have some questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for 4th Gen, have some questions

motc777

Reaction score
City, State
Longview, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
First of all, from my profile you see I have a 2004 Mountaineer. Right now it's in the shop at 165K miles for the whole issue of it jumping from 1st to 3rd gear and the OD light flashing.

My question is, do the 4th gen Explorers use the same transmission and or, if they do, with this generation of Explorer what issues can I expect that are typical/plaguing? Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3rd gen V6 models had the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed auto.
4th gen V6 models had same carryover drivetrain.

3rd gen V8 models had a 2V per cylinder 4.6L V8 and the same 5-speed as the V6 model.
4th gen V8 models go a new 3V per cylinder 4.6L V8, and a new 6-speed auto. A bit more torque and a lot more hp.

We love our '06 Mounty. Some things are wearing on it, but that's to be expected.

To add to the above, the early V8 6 speeds suffered from a shift bump issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd which required a re-flash from the dealer, although I would assume at this point most out there have been re-flashed. Other than that the 6 Speed is a far more robust transmission and isn't prone to the same issues as the 5spd.

Few other issues with these years....

2006-2007's V8's are notorious for having issues with exhaust manifold leaks, the studs are weak and after hundreds of heat cycles often break and the manifolds also warp or crack themselves, which will result in a small leak and a "ticking" sound until the engine warms. Both sides had broken studs and cracked manifolds on my 2007, luckily I bought an extended warranty and had the dealer do them.

2006-2007 (V8 only) also have known issues with carbon buildup around the base of the plugs (as most ford 3V V8's) which can lead to getting stuck in the head which will require special removal tools.

Can have radiator issues, mostly the early V6's, but even early V8's, mine blew at 70k miles (top plastic tank cracked), it took around 150k to kill the one in my '91 Ex....

Front wheel bearing hub assemblys can wear pretty rapidly, did mine at about 65K and it from the looks of it when i took it apart this would be its third set. Hopefully the Moog's I put in last far longer.

Being a heavy body on frame SUV, sway bar links and other suspensions components often need replacing. In about 30K I've already replaced all 4 links, and the front sway bar bushings to the frame twice. Also had lower ball joints done at about 75K too.

Yeah, we bought ours used, and it had that ticking sound. We had PremiumCare warranty to 100,000 miles/7 years, but thought the ticking was an exhaust issue that we just could not find. Before 7 years hit, I had several things taken care of on warranty, before it expired. Asked the dealer about the ticking, but they said they could not trace it, and such a thing was not covered. Had I known what I know now, I would have demanded they inspect those exhaust manifolds.

The V6's have weak radiators (Replaced mine at 65K) and the Thermostat housings tend to crack as well (Replaced mine at 90K). Also listen for any rattles from the engine as this could indicate problems with the timing chain tensioners. Some people have also reported issues with the transmission servo bores with the V6. Overall, my 2008 V6 has been fine other than the two issues mentioned.

Back