Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Bushing Replacement

85Dave your a life saver. I just picked up my XLT a couple weeks ago and all four windows won't roll up or down. The motors run but the windows go nowhere. Pulled apart the driver side dp and followed your steps and it turns out the inside of the gear assembly was almost identical to your picture. I'd bet my life the other three are going to look the same. Thanks for taking the time to post those pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try a non petroleum based lube mabe they wont crumble

Hey guys just wanted to say I did this to my explorer yesterday and thanks to this write up my windows now all work! I did not replace them with a plastic bushing, but I did a metal ones. You can get a set (2 windows, 6 bushing) for like 6 bucks shipped. I highly recommend it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-E...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bdb0e7b7

thats for metal ones. Id say they will last longer, so if your gonna replace them, might as well do it right.

Also these are made in the good ol US of A

the plastic bushings go in easily if you coat them in Vaseline, put them in place with the gear on top, then press them using a bench vise. i did all mine this way and it is real easy.

For those still going to do this job I found a good source for the gear pins:
http://www.natauto.com/wlk-52-torque-pins.html, they are $1.57 per set of three. Call them to have shipped USPS. This is my first post and want to thank everyone for contributing, very helpful.

Thanks for the link! I got 4 sets for $8.21 and I didn't even have to leave the house.

So I rebuilt my drivers side window motor like a month ago. It was working great for a bit, then I noticed it would hesitate a little then it stopped all together. I just took it a part and saw the plastic bushings were destroyed. What did I do wrong? Anyone else have that happen?

over heat

my 2003 over heats while moving slow with a/c on.
does it need a electric fan?where do I get one?:usa:

So I rebuilt my drivers side window motor like a month ago. It was working great for a bit, then I noticed it would hesitate a little then it stopped all together. I just took it a part and saw the plastic bushings were destroyed. What did I do wrong? Anyone else have that happen?

Did you pack it with a lot of grease when you did it. My bushing kit came with a bag of grease.

power window bushings

thank you 85 dave
just replaced the passanger bushings, was a breeze once i figured out how to get the motor out . Advance auto sells these bushings for $7.99 .
Thanks again
joey

This repair is almost identical to the headlights on my old Pontiac Fiero pop-up motors. The plastic bushings would just crumble over the years. I found the metal ones to be far superior. I'm sure the bushings are different sizes, but the process and design is identical.

I was about to buy a new motor, but now I can save the $$$ and just do this! Thank You!

Is thia good for a window thats slow to roll up, or does something need to be replaced?

Excellent step by step "how to: post! I bet this is what happened to my pax side window..

does this method work if the windows "chug" down? my drivers window and drivers side rear window both chug down, but will not go up unless i push up on the glass. my passenger side rear window doesn't move either. i looked in the door, and it seems like the motor is not even connected to the window. there is a wooden dowel holding the window up. how can i get that one fixed?

Trozei, funny you mention it as my drivers window operates slowly to open but closes at normal speed I wonder if this is also bushing related?

yes bushings are about shot.
it is just a matter of time before it quits.
you will understand when you see the bushings.
they will be disintegrated.

are the bushings absolutely necessary? could i maybe use super glue to bond the center gear to the plastic one? i am always broke and cant really afford to get the bushings.

success!!! i have both drivers side windows fixed! the big challenge was not having the right size drill bit for the third bolt on both doors. i found a cheaper way to fix the windows. i used 1/4" hex nuts. i read that some people used 7/16", but i guess my motors were smalller. the nuts slipped right in. a good amount of vasseline on the gears and some wd 40 on the tracks, and my windows run so much better.

the last window i am not sure of. the cable is broken. i have to have a wooden dowel inside to hold the glass up. :( anyone know how i can fix that one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back