Gibson Axle Back Exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gibson Axle Back Exhaust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gibson Axle back exhaust with pictures!

Hi there,
New to the forums, but a few months ago I had a Gibson axle back exhaust installed on my 2012 XLT 3.5L V6. I think the tips look great, and it gives a nice low growl when you get on it, but not loud and obnoxious. They are cell phone pictures, so sorry they aren't the greatest quality, but considering exhaust options are limited with this vehicle at the time, thought I'd show you all what it looks like installed. It was welded on as well. Questions/comments appreciated :)
Thanks!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8988%3Dot%3E7%3A45%3D756%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E2856767%3A68257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9965%3Dot%3E7%3A45%3D756%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E2856767%3A69257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv758%3Enu%3D8954%3E665%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3765858976348nu0mrj

Welcome to the Forum adamv112.:wavey:
I've merged your thread with the existing one.

Peter

Looks good I wonder if it would fit my 3.5 ecoboost. Any sound clips?

Thanks Peter for merging it for me.
Jzales I will work on a sound clip for you. It will be a few days. I paid I believe $369 shipped and this is the stainless version*

Hi All,

Is there anyone with a Gibson exhaust on their 2011-2015 Explorer with V6 naturally aspirated (not Ecoboost) ?

I am looking at exhaust options but could not find sound clips anywhere for the Gibson.

It seems a less pricy option than CGS or Magnaflow.

Thanks in advance if you guys have feedback on it or even sound clip would be great.

Sorry this is long overdue, but I finally got a sound clip uploaded to Youtube. Sorry about the poor cell phone quality. I will try to get a few more uploaded. Thank you!

https://youtu.be/0YN6dMeaUqI

Sounds pretty good! I've been going back & forth between installing these, or the Magnaflow system. Did you leave the stock resonator in place, or remove it? How does it sound inside the truck? Any droning at highway speed?

Would it be possible for you to do a video of revving the engine? And possibly a take-off/drive by video?

SixPonies, you took the words out of my mouth! I am starting to look at exhaust options, and the Gibson looks pretty good, but I would like to see more video first.

I am getting mine on Monday and will install right away along with K&N drop in filter.

I will do a bunch of clips with my gopro and good external mic that I use and post video as soon as I can. I'll do a mix of suction cup on bumper, inside windows up, inside windows down, idle and revs, hard acceleration, 2000rpm cruise, that should cover it...

It looks like the growl is deeper than magnaflow and much cheaper. I got mine on amazon for 389 $ shipped and it is the stainless version. The magnaflow goes for 800 $...no comparison there.. And on top of it the installation seems like piece of cake..

It would help if I had a Go Pro. I will be installing a K & N cai kit soon and can take more videos then as well. I am working on more videos at the moment as well. Thanks guys!

I am getting mine on Monday and will install right away along with K&N drop in filter.

I will do a bunch of clips with my gopro and good external mic that I use and post video as soon as I can. I'll do a mix of suction cup on bumper, inside windows up, inside windows down, idle and revs, hard acceleration, 2000rpm cruise, that should cover it...

It looks like the growl is deeper than magnaflow and much cheaper. I got mine on amazon for 389 $ shipped and it is the stainless version. The magnaflow goes for 800 $...no comparison there.. And on top of it the installation seems like piece of cake..

Great! Can't wait to see/hear it. Are you planning to remove the mid-pipe resonator, leave it in place?

It would help if I had a Go Pro. I will be installing a K & N cai kit soon and can take more videos then as well. I am working on more videos at the moment as well. Thanks guys!

Look forward to your videos also, especially after also installing the K&N kit. Did you keep, or remov the mid-pipe resonator?

I just added the axle back kit, nothing else as far as exhaust was changed. I am trying to keep most of it stock/stock looking, but as we both know ...everything can't be kept stock :p... the K&N is currently getting blacked out at the powdercoater so I'm excited to get that installed.

Great! Can't wait to see/hear it. Are you planning to remove the mid-pipe resonator, leave it in place?

I read too many horror stories about no resonator being just really too loud. I am just a family guy looking for a little sound upgrade :D

I drive highways a lot when camping and also heard of an annoying drone around 2000 rpm without the resonator.

So for now cat back and K&N drop in filter will be good.

Like I said getting it installed Monday and will do extensive sound video using a good quality external microphone with my go pro as soon as weather cooperates.

From Adam's video taken by cellphone it already sounds great so I can't wait to hear it on the car for real.

Hi all

It finally stopped raining so I managed to install my Gibson exhaust and K&N drop in after work tonight.

Well let me tell you... It sounds AMAZING... It also looks pretty good.

It was a bit tricky to get both sides fitted exactly at the same length but overall easy install. I used the provided clamps and used exhaust sealant paste inside before install. It took me a total of 1.5 Hour.

I will be doing gopro clip over the weekend and post YouTube link.

Excellent, glad you like it! Can't wait to see/hear the clip.

The price differences between the Magnaflow and the Gibson exhaust systems is because the Magnaflow is a CAT-BACK exhaust & the Gibson is AXLE-BACK.

Magnaflow requires removing the exhaust from the converter back to the mufflers, much more piping which is bent and shaped to replace the factory exhaust.

Gibson requires removing factory mufflers, much less piping since it installs after the stock Y-pipe and either is welded or clamped into place, basically a stock muffler replacement (IMO).

That's the main differences between the two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all

It finally stopped raining so I managed to install my Gibson exhaust and K&N drop in after work tonight.

Well let me tell you... It sounds AMAZING... It also looks pretty good.

It was a bit tricky to get both sides fitted exactly at the same length but overall easy install. I used the provided clamps and used exhaust sealant paste inside before install. It took me a total of 1.5 Hour.

I will be doing gopro clip over the weekend and post YouTube link.

still waiting on the video/sound clips!

Back