Rattling Noise from Pillar/Passenger Door?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Noise from Pillar/Passenger Door??

xxboarderxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex
Hey Guys,

About a month ago, my 13 Explorer started to rattle for periods at a time and then suddenly stop. The rattle seems to be coming from the passenger pillar/door but I have not yet been able to pinpoint it since nobody has experienced the sound while sitting in the passenger seat. It sounds like a small metallic rod tapping against a thin piece of metal and the small vibrations produced on even an ashphalt road are enough to activate the rattle and sustain it until I come to a stop. A couple of times I was driving in the vicinity of my dealership with the rattle happening so I decided to drive in to get a tech to join me for a ride but as soon as that happened, the rattle disappeared...Murphy's Law...I've recorded the sound and have let the techs listen to it.

Unfortunately, it isn't temperature related as the few times it has happened the temperature has been sub-zero to +20C but one of the theories is that opening and/or closing the passenger door causes the rattle to stop.

My concern is that my warranty expires soon and I'd like to get this taken care of before I have to pay out of pocket but since it is intermittent, they cannot fix anything that they don't experience as being faulty.

Is there anything else I can do since I've reported it and it is in the system or is this the way warranty goes and if it is only able to be diagnosed after warranty I am SOL and will have to pay out of pocket?

Thanks
X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys,

About a month ago, my 13 Explorer started to rattle for periods at a time and then suddenly stop. The rattle seems to be coming from the passenger pillar/door but I have not yet been able to pinpoint it since nobody has experienced the sound while sitting in the passenger seat. It sounds like a small metallic rod tapping against a thin piece of metal and the small vibrations produced on even an ashphalt road are enough to activate the rattle and sustain it until I come to a stop. A couple of times I was driving in the vicinity of my dealership with the rattle happening so I decided to drive in to get a tech to join me for a ride but as soon as that happened, the rattle disappeared...Murphy's Law...I've recorded the sound and have let the techs listen to it.

Unfortunately, it isn't temperature related as the few times it has happened the temperature has been sub-zero to +20C but one of the theories is that opening and/or closing the passenger door causes the rattle to stop.

My concern is that my warranty expires soon and I'd like to get this taken care of before I have to pay out of pocket but since it is intermittent, they cannot fix anything that they don't experience as being faulty.

Is there anything else I can do since I've reported it and it is in the system or is this the way warranty goes and if it is only able to be diagnosed after warranty I am SOL and will have to pay out of pocket?

Thanks
X

Thanks for reaching out, xxboarderxx. What's your current odometer reading? I'm happy to research any available options with this information.

Brittany

Hey Guys,

Thanks
X

I have the same problem. Mine is much worse in the winter. Have not been able to locate the issue. I'm off warranty, but would love to find the culprit and fix it myself.

If you do a forum search there are things like the window chatter and sunroof rattle, but that does not seem to be my problem. Also not a loose rear seat.

Can try:

Known defect - bad fan ? actuator motor that is behind glove box - can tap or click as it turns but pin has slipped out of place and it just clicks without activating the mechanism. Search on here - there is a fix on video as well.

Check the glove box - the front face or "door" is a moulded cover that is on a frame-make sure its not loose (and no items in there moving around.)

If the rattle is maybe sometimes closer to you when driving, press up on your sunglass holder door.
Mine was not snug and it sounded like it was up at the top of the passenger window, but it was right next to me.

On the outside, press down on your passenger side pillar applique and see if it gives. If it does, ...leave it be.
If its loose, you can only push down on it a tad enough to creak or click (the others dont move at all).
A lot of Ex's have a loose passenger side applique, some with broken mounting clips
(& can end up flying off into the wind).
Broken bits could be behind it and rattle.
Or its just loose and you hear it moving when driving. High winds will get under the edge of it and it can rattle or creak.

If you have a child seat-they have various accessories stowed in the rear & sides of them; the clip, latch anchors, and tethers with buckles.

Mine was behind me & would rattle, but I heard the sound in the back seat across from it-on the other side.... and I swore it was a loose opposite rear seat I was hearing.
So i took it out, stuffed cardboard in the brackets holding the clip and tied the anchors better, and no more rattle.

Rattles and taps seem to echo all over the cabin and it can be tough.

Also - turn on your phones Recorder, and try to drive as quietly as you can but make the car go enough to get it to rattle - the recording may help. 2nd person would make it easier.

Thanks for reaching out, xxboarderxx. What's your current odometer reading? I'm happy to research any available options with this information.

Brittany

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for the reply.

My odometer reading is around 37000-38000 km but warranty expires mid-May. Would love to know if there are some options out there.

Cheers
X

I have the same problem. Mine is much worse in the winter. Have not been able to locate the issue. I'm off warranty, but would love to find the culprit and fix it myself.

If you do a forum search there are things like the window chatter and sunroof rattle, but that does not seem to be my problem. Also not a loose rear seat.

It is definitely not window chatter or sunroof rattle as it is definitely localized to the passenger pillar/passenger door. The senior tech that rode w/ me told me that the door is about 80% plastic and it is highly unlikely that it would come from there. Is there a way to post the recording on this thread?

Can try:

Known defect - bad fan ? actuator motor that is behind glove box - can tap or click as it turns but pin has slipped out of place and it just clicks without activating the mechanism. Search on here - there is a fix on video as well.

Check the glove box - the front face or "door" is a moulded cover that is on a frame-make sure its not loose (and no items in there moving around.)

If the rattle is maybe sometimes closer to you when driving, press up on your sunglass holder door.
Mine was not snug and it sounded like it was up at the top of the passenger window, but it was right next to me.

On the outside, press down on your passenger side pillar applique and see if it gives. If it does, ...leave it be.
If its loose, you can only push down on it a tad enough to creak or click (the others dont move at all).
A lot of Ex's have a loose passenger side applique, some with broken mounting clips
(& can end up flying off into the wind).
Broken bits could be behind it and rattle.
Or its just loose and you hear it moving when driving. High winds will get under the edge of it and it can rattle or creak.

If you have a child seat-they have various accessories stowed in the rear & sides of them; the clip, latch anchors, and tethers with buckles.

Mine was behind me & would rattle, but I heard the sound in the back seat across from it-on the other side.... and I swore it was a loose opposite rear seat I was hearing.
So i took it out, stuffed cardboard in the brackets holding the clip and tied the anchors better, and no more rattle.

Rattles and taps seem to echo all over the cabin and it can be tough.

Also - turn on your phones Recorder, and try to drive as quietly as you can but make the car go enough to get it to rattle - the recording may help. 2nd person would make it easier.

Thanks for all of those suggestions.

The service tech definitely mentioned that it might be the fan but he played around with the climate control and we didn't hear anything different.

He also looked outside at the passenger pillar because he said those have been known to fly right off but he said mine was pretty snug and tight.

I took everything out of the car and the sound was still there so I'm positive it is coming from the area I mentioned. If I could post the recording, I would as I have recorded it twice already. It is a metallic sounding rattle. (metallic rod tapping on a sheet of thin metal). The service guys have listened to it but they said they can't do anything until they hear it for themselves...

to post audio or video, post on YTube then embed or link to it here.

I had the same sound coming from the driver's side door when going over any uneven surfaces. To me it sounded like something tapping an empty aluminum can.

I brought it in twice. First time they said they couldn't find the problem. Second time I had a service rep ride along and he heard it immediately. Thy had to remove the door panel and install extra sound proofing which seems to have solved / masked the problem.

Thanks [MENTION=227469]LukerDooker[/MENTION] for your suggestion to use Youtube to post the sound file. Here's the link if anyone cares to have a listen.

https://youtu.be/jPbETlAZDFk

[MENTION=243938]Squirty[/MENTION] That sounds pretty much like what I am hearing and the more I hear it, the more I suspect it comes from the door because each time I get someone to join me after hearing the sound, they open the passenger door (and of course closes it) which most likely moves the parts making the rattle and then it isn't heard for a period of time. Have a listen and tell me if it is the same sound.

Cheers everyone and thanks for your help and input.
X

That's much worse than my sound. Your service department should definitely take off the door panel and take a look at what's going on inside.

That's much worse than my sound. Your service department should definitely take off the door panel and take a look at what's going on inside.

It is all too annoying. I would get it fixed even if my warranty expires but I am having trouble locating exactly where it is coming from...

It is all too annoying. I would get it fixed even if my warranty expires but I am having trouble locating exactly where it is coming from...

I had a rattle similar to what you are describing on the passenger side front of my 2014 Sport. I could not tell exactly where it was so I removed the "A" pillar trim and the door trim panel. What I found was the window motor was touching the inner door sheet metal. I tweaked it away from the door by hand (was not hard) and now, no more rattle.
I did not take it to the dealer because it was an intermittent issue and I had no faith they would put any effort into finding it.

Had a similar noise, but coming from the lower drivers door (speaker area) or under the dash. intermittent, but usually pops up on very windy days or on the interstate at 70mph or faster and in the wind turbulence created by the semi trucks. Dealer has looked twice and cannot find the source and now my warranty is up. I'm SOL and will have to investigate/fix it myself. When I have time I will look at the window motor. The noise didn't start till the TSB for the window power window work was done. I did see a few days ago there is a recall coming for the door latch system, not latching completely. Could be related to that too I guess...

Have you checked the door lock strikers? When these go bad you get a rattle. Or your door latch itself.

Kind of sounds like my rattle. Mine comes from where the pass seatbelt is connected to floor..metal on metal piece you can see if you lift up that plastic over piece

[MENTION=233337]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] - still haven't heard back from you regarding the 'available options' you were speaking of

[MENTION=259501]TerryVanpool[/MENTION] - that's a great idea. is there an explorer service manual that i can purchase or did you just youtube how to do that?

[MENTION=62398]Toucan[/MENTION] - Strikers are tight - not the issue

[MENTION=278861]pup5581[/MENTION] - Thanks for the suggestion I will take a look at that tonight after work.

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for the reply.

My odometer reading is around 37000-38000 km but warranty expires mid-May. Would love to know if there are some options out there.

Cheers

[MENTION=233337]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] - still haven't heard back from you regarding the 'available options' you were speaking of

Hey xxboarderxx,.

I apologize for not getting to this earlier. I'll send this over to your regional customer service manager, who will work with the dealer for a resolution. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Mariel

2014 Ford Explorer Making Rattling noise

Hi guys,

New to this forum thingy. So my 2014 Ford Explorer has been making a rattling noise, it seems to be coming from the passenger side. I can't tell if its fron tor back. It sounds more like a plastic rattling noise, only happens when driving. I have noticed at times it is worse then others. Weather does not make a difference either. I just know it's driving me nuts. Nobody seems to have an answer. Please help!!!

:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our 2016 Limited with 63k miles has a rattle that sounds like it is coming from driver's door area (maybe down low) during highway, or faster, speeds. Been doing it since we bought it with 48k miles. May take the door panel off and try to pinpoint the rattle, but has anyone experienced a rattle on a 2016+?

Back