programing 3rd pats key with 2 programed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

programing 3rd pats key with 2 programed

wgnfw

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
Have a 05 with 2 programed pats tried to program 3rd and 4th (20yr mech retired)no dice 4×, bought at auction with 6000 miles, all I can think of is 8 keys already programed? ?? Can anyone come up with an idea besides remote start? Perplexed. Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you have the 8 key changed to unlimited keys? I believe the dealer can do it.

Don't know if it's at limit or not just guessing , w as s hoping someone else might have experienced this,,,if u have the scanner tool doesn't add it just duplicates so u can program multiple keys but if using someone else's at 50 or 70 etc can be costly for spare keys......

It's one of 2 things...

-You're at the max number of keys. (No the dealer can't raise the limit.)

-Your second key is a duplicated key, not a second program. ( you can't program a new key without 2 different programmed keys.)

That's what I wanted to know, when I went to the locksmith they just took my original inside ,cut new put in machine and presto gave it back,, was it just a copy or new program and should I take it back? And how do I get anot her that is another instead of just a clone? Thanx alot that's what I was waiting to hear

IF they didn't hook the truck up to a laptop... You got a cloned key. That's not a big deal until you try to program another key.

Technically the vehicle is programmed to the key. The key puts out a signal, the vehicle accepts it, and allows it to start. When you program a new key, you are adding a new, accepted signal. The quicker and cheaper way to do it is to clone the key.

Ford, some locksmiths, and some fleet repair companies have Fords IDS system. This is the dealers tool for programming. It can be used to add new keys or reprogram most features or functions. (We have it at work... We have several hundred Fords in our fleet.) your 2 options for a third key are:
-Find some with an IDS and have a new key programmed.
-Have another key cloned.

If have a Snap-on scan tool does this clone or add a new?

Back