• Register Today It's free!

Foot-well/Under-dash Lights

tbroecker01

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
On my previous vehicle, 1999 CVPI (crown victoria police interceptor) all I had to do was buy the plastic that fit under the dash, wire run the wires for the bulbs, and wire them to the dome light wire in a harness that was pretty easy to access my removing trim pieces. The whole process took about an hour and really helped with interior illumination of the vehicle when you 1) opened the doors & 2) turned the dome light on manually.

Did any Explorer have any option like this??
Has anyone done it?? If so, part numbers please.

I think this would be a great addition to any vehicle because IMO, the center map lights, and the 2nd & 3rd row lights don't offer much illumination inside when entering/exiting OR even if you drop something on the floor and try to find it in the dark (parked of course).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the clear LED light strips up under my dash on both the driver's side and passenger's side to give me footwell lighting. Tied them into the interior lighting wire coming from the fuse box.

I used the clear LED light strips up under my dash on both the driver's side and passenger's side to give me footwell lighting. Tied them into the interior lighting wire coming from the fuse box.

What color is the wire that you hooked to?

What color is the wire that you hooked to?

Don't remember. That was 4 years ago. I can't remember what I did yesterday!!:rolleyes:

Check your owner's manual for the fuse # that goes to the interior lights and see what wire corresponds to it coming out of the fuse box.

You could also change your map and other interior lights to LED. They put out more light and look much better. There is a thread all about it here.

You could also change your map and other interior lights to LED. They put out more light and look much better. There is a thread all about it here.
That's not really what I'm going for.
I'm looking to add more lighting to the underside of the dash. I saw on fordparts.com an auxiliary lighting wire harness and also a auxiliary lighting kit.
The aux wire kit contains lights and related parts to light up both footwells, the cup holders, aux input compartment, and some part on the rear of the console.

Wondering if I buy the footwell lights and wire them to dome light circuit or interior lights if they'd work properly?

Back