Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
4.56 or 4.10?
Here is my truck background and driving habits.
98 Mounty V8 4406 conversion with BFG 33x12.5x15 last years version not the newer style (I think are about 32.5"). Stock 3.73
I do like offroading but in all honesty I only get to go out around 6 times a year mas o menos. For right now it is my daily driver. I would say my driving is about 60/40 city/freeway. I am conservative when I drive, never go above 70 on the freeway, never gun it.
After lots of reading most people go with 4.56, but that seems to be for offroad rigs. As much as I would like a capable rig when I do go out I can't kid myself that it is more of a pavement princess than dirt monster.
I am going Torsen in the front and Aussie in the back no matter what ratio I run with. If I go 4.56 I will attempt to do it myself but I will pick up a second set up axles from the junkyard to take my time on. If I'm going to get a 2nd set I might as well look for 4.10 opens, I can keep the 3.73 to regear later if needed.
So with this said, should I save the money on regearing and go with the junkyard 4.10's? What will this do to my city driving vs the 3.73? My freeway driving vs 3.73? Offroad vs 3.73? Is 4.10 more advantageous vs 3.73 vs 4.56 for mostly city/freeway driving? Thanks for any input, I am new to regearing and offroad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you only wheel a few times a year and are concerned about gas mileage, go with 4:10 and do a 4406 t case swap. You'll gain gas mileage and offroad ability.

i did the 4406 already, I didn't gain anything from it. Thanks for the input on the 4.10

i did the 4406 already, I didn't gain anything from it. Thanks for the input on the 4.10

No idea how I missed that. Surprised you didn't gain any gas mileage. Running in 2wd should make a decent difference. Either way, you got 4low so that helps make up for running a taller axle ratio. Sorta.. 4:56 would still be better in the woods

Yeah I was surprised (disappointed) about the 4406 also. I wonder if I did something wrong.
I was hoping 4.10 would be a happy medium for $200 bucks and a few hours of work. And I would have a spare set of axles to perform the 4.56 if/when the time came.

I have 4.56, love them but I got a v6. I would do 4.10's for your v8

Back