1994 Explorer Ignition cylinder replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Ignition cylinder replacement.

94EBOwner

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB
Sorry to say, but my wife lost the only set of keys to my explorer and I purchased a new ignition lock cylinder. The dealer told me that I would need to drill out the lock pin underneath the lock cylinder. My problem is that the cylinder itself is inside a white metal casing and does not have the lock pin sticking out anywhere. Can anyone help me with my dilema? Ford is unable to code a new set of keys because it's older than 10 years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ignition Switch

If I remember correctly, Once you take off all the plastic shrouding, tilt your steering wheel all the way to the up position. You should see a hole in the housing.It won't be directly under the ignition cylinder,but it will be at a slant leading to it. You won't be able to see the pin, but its there.

Man that sucks. As soon as you have the new keys, or if you all ready do, go get a BUNCH of replacements. I have about 10... lol. I go through about 1 every 6-7 months, idk why/how I lose em, but I do.

But for when I lock myself out at school, I keep a hide-a-key inside the frame near the spare out of sight.

I'd be really careful about drilling out the retainer pin, they are usually hardened and you can mess up the housing. The location is right around where slowhand said. I'd suggest though taking it to a locksmith (my own profession) and having it either picked or drilled professionally. Otherwise you can drill the tumblers to allow you to turn it and depress the retainer and pull the cylinder. I seem to recall another thread on here that explains it fairly well.

Hello Folks, My 1991 Explorer wouldn't start on Thursday morning when I went to leave work. Sometimes when I turned the key the lights on the console would come on and it would almost turn over and the next time I tried it it wouldn't even make a click and no lights, etc... I asked a guy at work what he thought and he asked if I could pull the key out when it was in the start position and I tried it and yep, it pulled straight out. Then I realized it also turned completely around and didn't stop....then I said to myself 'this ain't good!' :) Then the co-worker said well you need an ignition switch....so after borrowing the Neighbors van, off to OReily's auto parts for the switch. Then I return to work with the part and I'm told I really didn't need the switch, instead I needed the ignition lock cylinder. Hmmmmm.....Ok, back to the parts store for another part. Then I find myself with 2 parts, the 'ignition switch' (it actually says that on the box) and the ignition lock cylinder. Of course, none of the 'shadetree' mechanics want to do the work, and 1 of them even insisted that he tow it (at about $75.00-$80.00) and then 'hook up his diagnostic equiptment to diagnose the problem' (which he said would take a couple of hours...) so I said BS on this, I'll go to the Explorer Forum (right here folks!) and will research it and I did. After getting off work this morning, I spent over 3 hrs. on here reading all of your posts visualizing how and what you did, and looking at your pictures and I decided to take a handful of tools and print out your posts and do this myself.
I want to THANK YOU ALL for your hard work in posting your successful removal of the ignition, it helped more than you'll ever know.... just reading that all you had to do is remove the plastic steering wheel covers, to be able to visualize the cylinder area and then turn the key to the "on or start" position and then push in the hidden pin hole and pull the old one out and WAAALA! It took me all of 5 minutes after I finally found the hidden pin release! And just to think, it ONLY cost me $20.00 for the cylinder and another $14.00 for the "switch" which I haven't been able to find where it goes yet, but for that price and peace of mind, I will also change it out to the new one (since some of the symptoms of a faulty switch is what I have also been experiencing.) It's kinda cool to be able to brag that a Woman fixed her own car, when the guys wanted hundreds just to transport it to their shop and 'diagnose' the problem and fix it. So, for $34.00, not a bad deal at all! :)
Now, if anyone knows where the ignition switch is so I can replace it, I'd be a happier Camper!
THANKS GUYS! It really was a no-brainer....now, If I'd had a newer version instead of the Gen1 (a 1991), and had the air bags, or had to remove the steering wheel, I would not have had such an easy time of it. Anyone know where this goes?
photos_stream

One of these days I'll replace my ignition cylinder lock. I can too pull the key out but I like that feature. I can start the truck, pull the key and lock the doors :).

I really have no excuse not to fix it though, I don't have the plastic collar around my column anymore.. I seemed to have lost it somewhere in the parts bin :).

As for the ignition switch. It is is top of the steering column. There is a rod that the key cylinder moves. That rod goes into the ignition switch. IIRC All you have to do is remove the lower panel on the dash and then pull 2 big bolts and the entire steering column will drop down some. Now its 2 bolts, the metal rod and an electrical connector and the switch will come out.

~Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll try to find it again. I posted a 'shout out' to this list on my Facebook page, I said you Guys were really helpful and you really are! Now if I could just find the other bugs in my Explorer and fix them I'd be so pleased, but it all takes time. This one sat for 5 years, so I'm lucky it runs at all after being reserrected. I had a 2000 Ford Ranger, but it was seriously damaged by a hit and run drunk driver. He's been indicted for the crimes, and the insurance company bought the Ranger and totalled it, but my heart still aches for the loss. Now I'm trying to get walking better where I don't hurt 24/7 and get the old Explorer up to par....it's a work in progress. Someday I'll get it inspected (I hope really soon) and I can drive it without worrying about getting stopped.
Thanks again, and be safe out there in AZ. I LOVE AZ. never been to Vail or North, just the Southern part (Tuscon sector) and Cochise County guarding the borders.
~CL

1994 Explorer Ignition cylinder replacement

Bump.
Hi. Did you find the ignition switch?
I am having problems with my ABS Brake System. The ECU won't initialize and it would appear to be a problem with the ignition switch.
I will look, but it would be better to have some advice on this before I start into it.
Thanks,
Bill

Check out my steering column video, I replaced the end of the column (where the steering wheel bolts to and where the ignition cylinder is housed) and I also talk about disconnecting the actual ignition switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7W0pzd6sdA

Back